Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there actually any truth in the Glenn Murray speculation?

albionite

May 20, 2009
who cares if he played for the dirty Nigel's, they offered more money and a longer contract.
He lives in Brighton and loves the place, better than spending 10m on McCormack a 30 year old.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
No it doesn't. We need him for the final (if we get there). Would be nice to have him for both but as we can't the final is the much more important game of the two.

We wouldn't need him for the play off final because the result of that, if we get there, is predetermined. 1-0 Zamora 89th min

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes but hasn't that always been the case with Brighton supporters. I remember lots liking Alex revell because he ran round like a headless chicken.

...and that didn't come back to bite us on the bum last year at all did it.

Alex revell's blue and white army

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
who cares if he played for the dirty Nigel's, they offered more money and a longer contract.
He lives in Brighton and loves the place, better than spending 10m on McCormack a 30 year old.

If you read his Twitter feed and a couple of conversations I had with him at the gym at virgin, his love for us dissapeared very quickly when he went to palace. He still loves the place and the fans.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
just heard on "radio Sussex" that the rumour is gathering pace

so must be happening then

and not quite sure how exactly I feel about that................but it will mean goals

The rumour has been there for months - Naylor has only just caught on to what most NSCers at least already knew...

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
Disappointing if true, mainly as it looks as if we are not going try for automatic promotion.

Agreed. Not sure this clubs mentality when it comes to ex players either. We might aswell get back the whole of the 2005 squad just for nostalgia's sake

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Murray is a proven goalscorer at this level. How did you come to that conclusion?

Because we need a player now, not the end of Feb when we will have played 5 more games. Play off final is on 28 May so I doubt we would sign Murray before the Leeds game.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Given that almost certainly the club still have a number of permanent window targets, there might be other clubs interested in GM, and this type of public speculation might disrupt plans and morale of squad then there's a strong argument to suggest not.

Naylor might have confirmed this story by talking to sources not from the Albion of course...

Well he wouldn't write a story like that without having some decent sources but that wouldn't necessarily mean the club have orchestrated it.
My theory (nothing more) is that this is strategic PR by the club.

They ARE in for another striker but it's touch and go by the end of the window, Murray is plan B if they fail to get the striker in. The club are managing expectations with the fans so there isn't a meltdown if we don't get target A during this window - which is why Naylor has gone to print this morning.

I had heard a while back from someone at the club offices (reliable but not particularly senior) that Murray has asked to come back and reasons for his lack of game time at Bournemouth surround issues with Howe over his style (Howe likes energetic players) and more crucially the commute, so if we have sounded out Bournemouth it would fit that the deal could be on the table already.

My money is on him getting injured this month anyway, sods law!

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Because we need a player now, not the end of Feb when we will have played 5 more games. Play off final is on 28 May so I doubt we would sign Murray before the Leeds game.
And who is to say we won't have a good February anyway? Murray would be a fantastic addition.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
They don't grow on trees. See Elvis Manu, Billy Paynter, Leon Best.
Agreed. Not sure this clubs mentality when it comes to ex players either. We might aswell get back the whole of the 2005 squad just for nostalgia's sake
How's that Zamora nostalgia going?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
One thing is for sure, having dealt with Murray for 60 minutes, defenders will not enjoy the site of Zamora waiting to come on.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
My theory (nothing more) is that this is strategic PR by the club.

They ARE in for another striker but it's touch and go by the end of the window, Murray is plan B if they fail to get the striker in. The club are managing

Given the fragility of Zamora, a Wilson recall, and the difficulty of landing a permanent striker in a window with 3 days to go then the club would be mad not to have a Plan B.

This doesn't mean they've a) leaked a story or ) by doing so would qualify as strategic PR. In lots of ways its downright unhelpful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here