Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the TV licence worth £145.50 a year?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Having watched TV in American many times, and seen the appalling standards there, I love auntie.

I'm probably a TV snob, as prefer BBC3 and BBC 4(amazing music history programs) and the radio, both national and local.

Is it flawed? Yes. Is the TV licence methodology outdated? Yes. Is what you are getting value for money? Yes

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Having watched TV in American many times, and seen the appalling standards there, I love auntie.

I'm probably a TV snob, as prefer BBC3 and BBC 4(amazing music history programs) and the radio, both national and local.

Is it flawed? Yes. Is the TV licence methodology outdated? Yes. Is what you are getting value for money? Yes
Only if you use it, I don't really have time for tv and when I do I stream tv shows normally on the lap top in bed. Those who want it should subscribe simple.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Bring in a communications license like here, you pay if you have tv, radio or internet.

Yes, the Bbc Is worth it and I support the concept of public service broadcasting.

I think this will be one of the two options put forward , the other is privatisation.

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
You've never listened to an Albion commentary?

Not on my Radio i haven't. Either working most of the time and the rare chance i do have time off. I go to the games. If i don't go i normally read the doom mongers on here or check the site.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Well worth it- especially if you consider radio to be part of the 'the package' and listen to bbc stations. £150 does not get you much these days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Something to not be overlooked is the esteem the BBC is held around the world by non-British people. Non-Brits see it as the most respected news and tv company period. It is the envy of the world. It's priceless in promoting the UK. And this is partly down to the way it's funded.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

First and probably last time I've ever heard anyone describe themselves as a snob for liking BBC 3.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If you think the BBC isn't worth the license fee, watch tv in [insert country here], you'll find it's either crap or full of adverts. Or both.

As for funding it through general taxation, definately not. Firstly the politicians would want to control it and in the current climate they'd most likely cut the funding too. Secondly it would mean people who didn't want a TV would be funding it.

If you really object to paying for it, but want to have a TV anyway, there are several cast-iron ways to not get prosecuted.

......... BBC 4(amazing music history programs) .........

The recent Songs of the South with Reginald D. Hunter ranked as an awesome with me - perfect mix of subject and presenter - I hope his throwaway line about "see you all for Songs of the South 2" wasn't in jest. I could have watched a whole show of him interviewing Steve Cropper alone.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The recent Songs of the South with Reginald D. Hunter ranked as an awesome with me - perfect mix of subject and presenter - I hope his throwaway line about "see you all for Songs of the South 2" wasn't in jest. I could have watched a whole show of him interviewing Steve Cropper alone.

Agree entirely, and I don't even like that type of music, but the storytelling and context is superb. I've recently watched stuff about Glen Campbell, The Carpenters, Bee Gees and Sammi Davis Jr. all of which were brilliant, but they're not in my music collection (apart from Wichita Lineman).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ridiculous thread, If we did not have the BBC you would have to pay one hell of a sight more in subscription fees and adverts. Even the main BBC website itself is worth the money alone for a year, it's unbiased and informative compared to other " News " sites. Maybe we should just sell it all off to the highest bidder, then you would see one hell of an outcry after 6 months of adverts.

Last edited:

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
yes, def.
i hardly use sky now.. reduced package to the basic and thinking of getting rid altogether. very rarely touch itv.... beeb and c4 are my mainstay. love the podcasts of the shows....and always listen to radio sussex early doors.. bit of radio two now and then..

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I enjoy a lot of the BBC tv content, but their radio output is outstanding. When I'm at home I have R4 or 5Live on constantly and in the car 6Music (if on my own - if the kids are in the car it's the Frozen soundtrack). If you have ever had to drive from north Essex to Dorset with the Frozen soundtrack played constantly, you too would agree that £145.50 for the BBc is a complete bargain).

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The Beeb ain't perfect but probably still one of the best things about Britain. Having lived in Australia for a number of years it really made me realise how lucky we are

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I enjoy a lot of the BBC tv content, but their radio output is outstanding. When I'm at home I have R4 or 5Live on constantly and in the car 6Music (if on my own - if the kids are in the car it's the Frozen soundtrack). If you have ever had to drive from north Essex to Dorset with the Frozen soundtrack played constantly, you too would agree that £145.50 for the BBc is a complete bargain).

Don't overlook the Frozen soundtrack - I'm a big fan myself :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You have NEVER streamed a BBC programme once!? Or visited the BBC website? I really fail to believe that somehow.

Just out of curiosity, if you view any video content on the Beeb website are you technically meant to have a tv license? There's no way of telling or ever getting caught surely? Although unethical, I'd imagine many have broke this law...

boik

Anyone who thinks that getting rid of the license fee would lead to an improvement in programmes OR a reduction in costs hasn't got a clue. There would be no quality TV available for under £12 a month. With the "cheap" BBC option gone, pices would rise across the board, and anyone who tried to undercut this would do it with cheap rubbish programmes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here