Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the problem bigger than the manager?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
We're clearly going to have to buy Bloom out, and have a committee of NSC'ers run the club.

I pledge £10.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Which better players could we have landed for the same money?

Genuine question
Just look at Ipswich, they have spent very little but they have- a manager with vast Championship experience and who is allowed to sign his own players to fit into his system. That is the key, any manager worth his salt wants power over which players he can purchase.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Is the problem bigger than the manager?

It's a definite yes from me.

I've felt that ever since the departure of Garcia. For one manager to go in odd circumstances is one thing, but to have history almost repeat itself suggests that something behind the scenes is not quite right.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Just look at Ipswich, they have spent very little but they have- a manager with vast Championship experience and who is allowed to sign his own players to fit into his system. That is the key, any manager worth his salt wants power over which players he can purchase.

Agreed, but that's a different argument altogether on the clubs whole recruitment structure .

As it stands though Burke has a limited budget and that's all he's got to work with, so is it his fault that this is all we can afford?

But I agree on the point you make, I'd much prefer the manager to do the recruiting.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm concerned our chairman doesn't have an eye for football. Wouldn't be the first.

I mean, if we get a new manager, he'll go again for an untried foreign gamble, probably won the Tunisian 2nd division and the Canary cup or something. But again, total gamble. should we be surprised? He likes a game of poker.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
I think the players are ok and probably good enough to get us in to the play offs. were we happy with the signings of holla , tex, colunga, baldock and stockdale? yes we were . How have they turned out ? shit! good players don't turn shit overnight . the blame lies solely at the managers feet. if we had tony pulis in from the beginning with these exact same players I honestly think we would be in the top 6.. he has to go

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
I've just done a quick head-count, and I reckon 30 players have played for the Albion first team this season. That includes a couple of League Cup sub appearances for Toko and Maksimenko, but doesn't count Dale Stephens, who surely would've played some part by now had he been fit.

It's the first week of December and we've fielded almost three completely different teams. The recruitment is a mess.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Which better players could we have landed for the same money?

Genuine question

Well, we are hardly in a position to know as we have only half an idea what transfer fees were paid, pretty much zip idea of wages and other terms. The general point that Burke has had his hands tied is almost certainly true; Hyppia also has had to work with payers not of his choice.

My conclusion is that Burke and Hyppia have made the worst of a bad job; FFP has ruled, we have complied, pay back time is next month. If we pick up some decent players for a lot less than would have paid last August then Bloom has played his hand well: stay up with a strong finish and power on next season. If not, he has to take a lot of the reponsibility for the current mess.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I'm concerned our chairman doesn't have an eye for football. Wouldn't be the first.

I mean, if we get a new manager, he'll go again for an untried foreign gamble, probably won the Tunisian 2nd division and the Canary cup or something. But again, total gamble. should we be surprised? He likes a game of poker.

Agreed. The point I have just made

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
While tactics are poor, is it just the manager that is the problem? Or is there a deeper problem here? Largest attendances in the league, big spending fans once in the ground, yet we have this real bargain basement attitude with a lot of things we do, on and off the field.

Has Bloom under estimated what it takes to be a chairman and support a Championship club, or is he simply taking FFP far too rigidly and seriously?

I don't really blame Barber, Burke etc, as I get the impression they are operating under very difficult circumstances.

Or fan pressure making it a harder task? unrealistic expectations after 2 good seasons meaning that the first sign that this isn't likely to be repeated or better means people start questyioning all and sundry about the club and its future.

After years of being in the wilderness and very nearly losing the club completely, i'd have thought that our fans would be amongst those who would prefer the club to be run properly and that we don't spend untold millions chasing a dream without a guarentee of success and risk the clubs future. Yet the demands to spend, spend, spend is almost defeaning - sack X, Y and Z. Hire new people to replace then, buy a significant number of players to replace those we already have (and were often written off by our fans before a ball was kicked)

They seem to have decided we can't be an also ran side in the Championship any more as this is now considered a failurewhen just a couple of years ago we would have snapped the arm off anyone offering us this.

We seem to have forgotten how to support a side, we seem to have those who think that if everything isn't going perfectly, then there are major issues and conspiracies which they have to interfere with in order to save the club and compare Bloom with Archer and the desire shown to destroy the club.

They never got behind our new signings, or behind the manager so why is it a surprise when they don't do as well as hoped. When they need a show of support most, they are being questioned and ridiculed by some.

We are no longer at Withdean, but our fans need to show the same kind of support to the side as they did there - spontaneous clapping during one break in play when they went to get a drink really lifted them and showed they were appreciated, instead we get booing and shouts of derision towards certain players, often when they weren't anywhere near the incident that lead to the abuse (Sollys freekick in his first game back from injury against Fulham being met with a chorus of loud boos - bet he's glad he is back and looking to please the crowd if thats their reaction - although those near me firstly blamed JFC, their normal target and then changed it to Gardner when they realised it wasn't JFC after all)

It reminds me of Craig Davies, he was trying hard to do well and got met with a chorus of you're not fit to wear the shirt at Milton Keynes because he missed a half chance. He left the club soon after, his motivation to stay destroyed and his performanced then suffered. He then succeeded at a higher level elsewhere and we lost out because of or fans reaction and frustrations spilling out - we hampering ourselves with that attitude towards our own players, Palace talk their players up, and succeed on the pitch, we talk ours down and fail - a coincidence?

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
The biggest mistake was not getting sami Lee in as head coach for whatever reason [i don't believe the official one] he would have made all the difference, with he's experience
he would have galvanised the players into a cohesive team instead of playing like a bunch of strangers.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Were we happy with the signings of holla, tex, colunga, baldock and stockdale? yes we were.

Were we? Really? Personally I'd never heard of Holla, Tex or Colunga, so couldn't have an opinion at the time of signing them. I was underwhelmed when we signed Baldock; Stockdale I thought was an OK signing as we had to replace PIG - and he's probably been the best of all our summer signings.

Of course, the first indications when the season started were not favourable, but of course we were not allowed to say that with out being shouted down and abuse hurled at us by 'loyal' fans (who've gone very quiet recently!)

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Is it crap recruitment?

Or is this all you can get for the money we had to spend?
It seems that even though the players we signed were/are poorer than usual I bet their wages are not.

Feb 14, 2010
Is anyone seriously trying to run an argument that Bournemouth say have the money and we didnt? There is no excuse for anyone involved this summer. It was just plain poor judgment.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think our players were always a bunch of misfits. Just that Poyet and Oscar could glue them together a bit better.

No real success at building a cohesive unit.

Bournemouth seemed to have built a side and do not have any loan players.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Heard on the radio that the only player from last seasons team against Derby is Dunk. Says a lot for why we are where we are.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
After years of being in the wilderness and very nearly losing the club completely, i'd have thought that our fans would be amongst those who would prefer the club to be run properly and that we don't spend untold millions chasing a dream without a guarentee of success and risk the club's future....

We are no longer at Withdean, but our fans need to show the same kind of support to the side as they did there - spontaneous clapping during one break in play when they went to get a drink really lifted them and showed they were appreciated,

There's a significant moiety of the board who would, deep down inside, prefer to be at Withdean. Those days, and the darker ones just before them, when the club's existence hung by a thread were their Spitfire summer. Backs to the wall, we few, we happy few, etc.

Those days were special, but they're gone.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Heard on the radio that the only player from last seasons team against Derby is Dunk. Says a lot for why we are where we are.
I'm sorry.

That is double-plus ungood. The problem is Sami.

Thank You.
MiniTrue

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
We've gone down hill since his arrival. He hired his mate from Canada and how much does this person earn and what is his job title?

Barber is a complete and utter wanker.

Fire him, and his friend. Poof! Gone!

Now you have enough money for roughly 2/3 of an average striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here