Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is the Premier League less interesting than the Championship?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Just thinking about United today, I was there in 93 for the FA Cup game when we were third division and they were on their way to becoming champions, and we saw quite a bit of the ball and made some chances. I'm expecting less possession today than that '93 game even though we're only 6 places below them in the league, never mind two divisions.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Just thinking about United today, I was there in 93 for the FA Cup game when we were third division and they were on their way to becoming champions, and we saw quite a bit of the ball and made some chances. I'm expecting less possession today than that '93 game even though we're only 6 places below them in the league, never mind two divisions.

What round was the FA Cup game?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I'm really pleased to see us get to the Premier League as the club has strived so hard to get there over many years, yet for me I don't watch Premier League football (other than the Albion games) - that includes matches on Sky or even Match Of The Day. I solely watch highlights from the Championship and the lower leagues as I find the games more entertaining (even if lower in quality).

There's something about all the spoilt ego's in the Prem that I just hate including rediculous salaries, players behaviour plus that of so many of the so called 'top managers'. On the odd occasion a top 6 team lose, their managers rarely give praise for the opposition and it's always someone else's fault be it the ref, a dive from an opposing player, a park the bus seige mentality etc etc.

In a nut shell I find the Championship and lower leagues more enjoyable to watch (plus more affordable!). Just my view.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If there is a lack of talk about this game of late it’s probably because we are in the main, bloody terrified. I know I am.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hmm. Everton, Southampton and Stoke were certainly not 'special'. I enjoyed our performances in those games but those teams were negative and boring.
It's the events that are 'special' not so much the actual match. But even so, and I accept it's all about opinions, I disagree. I think West Brom were the most boring side we've played. I thought Stoke especially were anything but negative and boring. And even the average games are MUCH better than the average Championship games. A lot of those were extremely negative and boring, again something that people seem to have forgotten. It wasn't all exciting.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's the events that are 'special' not so much the actual match. But even so, and I accept it's all about opinions, I disagree. I think West Brom were the most boring side we've played. I thought Stoke especially were anything but negative and boring. And even the average games are MUCH better than the average Championship games. A lot of those were extremely negative and boring, again something that people seem to have forgotten. It wasn't all exciting.

You didn't notice how much time-wasting Stoke were doing?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
There have been numerous posts on this thread saying, “the journey was better than the destination”, or something similar.

Doesn’t that presuppose that the journey is over?

Yes there are 6 ‘top teams’ and that is likely to continue - that doesn’t mean though that they will be the same 6 top teams. I’m old enough to remember times when each of the current top 6 were anything but ‘super’ teams.

Why shouldn’t we have the ambition, with TB at the helm, to look forward to the day when first we are an established PL team, then one competing for a place in Europe, then the CL and finally to top the League. The latter two probably won’t be in my lifetime but 20 years ago I didn’t think being in the top tier would happen in my lifetime either!

There may be many ups and downs during the journey that I hope is far from over.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah, they did rest Hughes and Cantona. Team was Schmeichel, Parker, Bruce, Pallister, Irwin, Sharpe, Ince, Phelan, McClair, Wallace, Giggs.

Not a bad looking line up that
Pooh the bed, that team playing today with the help from some kind of timey-whimey machine, would still be massive favourites.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Everton assumed that after last season they were shoe-ins for the "top 7", and voted accordingly regarding the redistribution of TV money to the top clubs.

Oops.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would agree with that. Just haven't found it scintillating.

I think they arrived with the attitude that if they went ahead they could beat us with gamesmanship. They were time wasting as soon as they took and regained the lead. Disappointing tactics to watch when they had so much talent imo. I enjoyed the fact that we found a way to overcome Hughes Warnockesch tactics...twice

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Firstly, that thread title isn't click-baity nonsense, but I have the perception that a lot less pre-match chatter has been happening ahead of games this season than last.

We're playing Manchester United at Old Trafford tomorrow for the first time in the league since 1983, yet there seems relatively little to say about it.

Or is my perception wrong?

Can I just say, that watching us playing a great end-to-end game against Manchester United, whilst my Villa supporting friend is checking the scores on his phone and piping up with oooh, Hull are one up on Bristol City, the answer is a resounding NO, the premier league is NOT less interesting than the championship.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Yes, the Championship is better to play in and watch than the Prem. You've got to look forward to the odd freak win against the big teams (we beat Manure at Old Trafford the first season we went up) and if youre lucky a place in the Europa League for some epic away trips.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here