Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is That The Latest We've Scored A Goal?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
My memory is awful, but didnt Alan Duffy get one against Walsall in about 1972ish on 90+9?
I may of imagined this, or mis-remembered but somewhere in the foggy labyrinth of my memory it rings a bell

Did we do +9 in those days? I'm sure matches ended a lot earlier!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Lee Steele against Bristol City at home was extremely late?

But in the first minute of added time, Steele, looking suspiciously offside, nodded home Gary Hart's cross.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
That doesn't make sense. The ref wouldn't go over 4 is there were no subs and it was a maximum of 4 minutes. With it being a minimum, the ref could go over 4 regardless of anything else in the 4 minutes.

They always say a MINIMUM of x added mins when 4th official waves the board because there may be injuries/subs/time wasting/goals during injury time.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Sunderland 2 in added time to win
some time ago..............................somebody will remember I am sure

2 goals from Eric Potts , super sub in those days . It was the season we just missed out on promotion to the old division 1 ,

my first ever game. dad made us leave early! missed both of them!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They always say a MINIMUM of x added mins when 4th official waves the board because there may be injuries/subs/time wasting/goals during injury time.
But the ref can go over the x minutes whether there is more time wasting or not.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Spanish Dave scored a penalty in the sixth minute of five minutes time added on at Blackburn, January 2013.

But I can't remember what happened afterwards. I have a feeling they simply kicked off and the ref blew the whistle - although the Daily Star says it was actually the 'Last Kick of the Game'. http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/294593/Blackburn-1-Brighton-1-Last-kick-Lopez-is-spot-on-for-Gus

This video doesn't help, it stops as they kick off!

Ulloa's goal at Forest was late - but there was about 2-3 minutes play after that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Absolutely, It is his decision. But why would he, other than for the reasons I set out?
Because if at the end of a half a ref deems that there needs to be 4 minutes and 20 seconds added on, what is he supposed to tell indicate to the 4th official? (that's a rhetorical question) He'd say 4 minutes, but add of 4 mins and 20 seconds, or even more if time was lost in the time between him telling the 4th official to add 4 minutes and the end of normal time, and even more if time is wasted during injury time.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Because if at the end of a half a ref deems that there needs to be 4 minutes and 20 seconds added on, what is he supposed to tell indicate to the 4th official? (that's a rhetorical question) He'd say 4 minutes, but add of 4 mins and 20 seconds, or even more if time was lost in the time between him telling the 4th official to add 4 minutes and the end of normal time, and even more if time is wasted during injury time.

Well, I have reffed and never got to detail of seconds on additional time. There is rounding in this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, I have reffed and never got to detail of seconds on additional time. There is rounding in this.
Sometime you'll think 'that's about 2 minutes', sometimes you'll think 'that's about 3 minutes', but what do you do when you think 'that's about 2 and a half minutes'? You should indicate a minimum of 2, and play a chunk more than 2.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The goal against Forest to get in the playoffs must have been fairly late, but today's was after injury time had run out.

I have to point out, that clearly "injury time" had not run out, because the ref blows the final whistle at that point.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Spanish Dave scored a penalty in the sixth minute of five minutes time added on at Blackburn, January 2013.

But I can't remember what happened afterwards. I have a feeling they simply kicked off and the ref blew the whistle - although the Daily Star says it was actually the 'Last Kick of the Game'. http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/294593/Blackburn-1-Brighton-1-Last-kick-Lopez-is-spot-on-for-Gus

This video doesn't help, it stops as they kick off!

Ulloa's goal at Forest was late - but there was about 2-3 minutes play after that.

Their crowds are historically shit!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Oldham at home to go top of League One in the last season at Withdean was very late. We never looked back after that victory.

What a win and what a season. :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have to point out, that clearly "injury time" had not run out, because the ref blows the final whistle at that point.
Yeah, I meant when the 4 minutes had passed, but I guess you're the kinda guy that gets off on being pedantic :rolleyes:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
what do you do when you think 'that's about 2 and a half minutes'?

I don't (or rather didn't as gave it up). It didn't arise as the time taken for subs etc is not that precise. I mentally always rounded and keep to the flat minutes. In fact, other than injuries I didn't even keep time for stoppages, just added 2 minutes for substitutions unless there were very few or lots. in which case 1 min or 3 mins respectively. If refs actually keep more accurate timing, I would expect to see more cases of injury time being foreshortened significantly as 4:35 would be rounded to 5 to extend your example so, unless there was any reason why time should be extended, the ref should call time at 4:40 say. This doesn't fit with my experience. I am not saying it doesn't happen but in my experience of reffing the mighty Avon Youth League, was never aware of anyone who did.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't (or rather didn't as gave it up). It didn't arise as the time taken for subs etc is not that precise. I mentally always rounded and keep to the flat minutes. In fact, other than injuries I didn't even keep time for stoppages, just added 2 minutes for substitutions unless there were very few or lots. in which case 1 min or 3 mins respectively. If refs actually keep more accurate timing, I would expect to see more cases of injury time being foreshortened significantly as 4:35 would be rounded to 5 to extend your example so, unless there was any reason why time should be extended, the ref should call time at 4:40 say. This doesn't fit with my experience. I am not saying it doesn't happen but in my experience of reffing the mighty Avon Youth League, was never aware of anyone who did.
These days (at the top levels) they even keep a record of what's happened to justify the number of minutes, and the managers can ask to see the list. It's too important to just go, oh, about 3.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here