Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Queens Park Brighton the most over rated area in the city ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Going back to the property in question... I know the vendors and been to the house a number of times. It's a beautiful place and been very sensitively restored.
They've put downlights in the reception room! Looks alright apart from that though.

Do you know how old the house it? The description says it's a Victorian house, but it looks Edwardian to me.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
They've put downlights in the reception room! Looks alright apart from that though.

Do you know how old the house it? The description says it's a Victorian house, but it looks Edwardian to me.

Never discussed if specifically but judging by the bays I would say Edwardian too. That reception room is designed and used as a play room off the kitchen.

Jul 7, 2016
This is very true. The Edwardian houses around Craven Cottage and over the the river in Putney are like the one I live in but at least double the price.

Apologies to make it Clear I did mean that for 1.5 million u could buy in all parts of the city. Not necessarily every house but u could find houses in much more desirable areas than Queen's Park in that price bracket.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
just looked and the bungalow my parents bought in the very late 50's in Westdene for 2k is now worth 400k

Jul 7, 2016
just looked and the bungalow my parents bought in the very late 50's in Westdene for 2k is now worth 400k

It's amazing how everything has shot up in price. By areas in the same price range as the house in west drive, you would be able to buy in the best parts of Preston Pk, withdean, surrender park. Hove park , central Hove and clifton terrace area. All much nicer areas in my humble opinion than Queen's pk.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It's amazing how everything has shot up in price. By areas in the same price range as the house in west drive, you would be able to buy in the best parts of Preston Pk, withdean, surrender park. Hove park , central Hove and clifton terrace area. All much nicer areas in my humble opinion than Queen's pk.

Good house in Clifton Terrace with 4/5 beds and outdoor space are easily pushing 2 million and more.

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
Westdene is also massively over rated and over priced.. I live there for three years and there's nothing there to do and it's so hilly, we had a 150ft garden that was useless as it was too steep to use!

Just moved to westdene, last month..
Into 3 bed semi, love the fact it's quite and in the city, I can get to work Reigate in 35mins...
I have 60ft garden but lucky it's quite flat! ( compared to most in Westdene )

I Choose Westdene over patcham.
Why did you buy the house if it had a 150ft sloping useless garden?

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
For me Queens Park is the most over rated area. Just seen a semi on right move on west drive at 1.7m. Really ! There is nothing there other than a park ! For that price you can buy anywhere in the city.

Anyone else have an area they think is over rated ?
Queens Park is a lovely area. East and West Drive are both really nice.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2016
Queens Park is a lovely area. East and West Drive are both really nice.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi, I'm not saying they are not nice, they are. What I am saying is that general Queen's Pk area is not upmarket in the way that Hove pk or central Hove or some other parts of the city. It should not be as expensive as it is. Should be similar prices as for example surrenden etc. No decent shops, no restaurants no coffee shops within a 5 min walk. Just a park that doesn't even have a cafe in it. Nice area but could never be called up market yet some of the prices are way over the top.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
No decent shops, no restaurants no coffee shops within a 5 min walk. Just a park that doesn't even have a cafe in it. Nice area but could never be called up market yet some of the prices are way over the top.

There's a couple of cafes easily within 5 minutes walk of Queen's Park. There are several more on St James' Street and St George's Road which are less than 10 minutes walk away from the park itself too which is where the nearest shops are.

Jul 7, 2016
There's a couple of cafes easily within 5 minutes walk of Queen's Park. There are several more on St James' Street and St George's Road which are less than 10 minutes walk away from the park itself too which is where the nearest shops are.

OK just not sure St James Street with all the drunks walking up and down is a great example of somewhere nice to go for a coffee.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
OK just not sure St James Street with all the drunks walking up and down is a great example of somewhere nice to go for a coffee.

Must step in here.

I've lived in the Queens Park/Kingscliffe area for over 40 years.

It's about supply and demand. So clearly there is much demand. Queens Park is very central. The house are very good stock. There are two schools for younger kids, the area is well facilitated in St Luke's, and there is Jimmy Street if you live further down.

As for Jimmy Street, I now live just off there. There are a fair few coffee shops and they are popular. The street has its share of folk on the fringes but you find them in most central places. It's not issue enough to put people off. That's why there are so many facilities.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hi, I'm not saying they are not nice, they are. What I am saying is that general Queen's Pk area is not upmarket in the way that Hove pk or central Hove or some other parts of the city.
We all like different things of course, but is Hove park really upmarket? I lived there for a good while, but being right by Old Shoreham road, I wouldn't class it as upmarket.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
We all like different things of course, but is Hove park really upmarket? I lived there for a good while, but being right by Old Shoreham road, I wouldn't class it as upmarket.

But Old Shoreham Road is at just one teeny, weeny end bit of Hove Park. The park is around a mile long, and so the Hove Park 'area' stretches even further north. Properties up to what, 2 million quid? Even the houses on the 'wrong' west side of the park are around £650k plus! Not up market, really? Funny bubble you live in.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But Old Shoreham Road is at just one teeny, weeny end bit of Hove Park.
Yes that's true.

Which roads there would you consider as upmarket?

Even the houses on the 'wrong' west side of the park are around £650k plus! Not up market, really? Funny bubble you live in.
The bubble is called Brighton & Hove. It's bloody expensive, and while £650k is a lot of money, it doesn't get you a big upmarket home.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Must step in here.

I've lived in the Queens Park/Kingscliffe area for over 40 years.

It's about supply and demand. So clearly there is much demand. Queens Park is very central. The house are very good stock. There are two schools for younger kids, the area is well facilitated in St Luke's, and there is Jimmy Street if you live further down.

As for Jimmy Street, I now live just off there. There are a fair few coffee shops and they are popular. The street has its share of folk on the fringes but you find them in most central places. It's not issue enough to put people off. That's why there are so many facilities.

I think you'll find this will fall on deaf ears. Some of the posters on this thread can't accept that some people would rather spend their mega bucks to live in a big old lot in central Brighton rather than get bored to death in Hove, Withdean etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here