Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Potter Unique?

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Is Mr Potter the only manager in our entire history we have taken from another club whilst they were actively employed as a manager at that other club?

I have done some quick wiki research and it appears so which is remarkable if true. Happy to be corrected if someone knows better.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I looked at Bailey. Its a bit hard to tell but it appears he fell out with the Charlton owners and left and then we picked him up. I could be wrong though.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
From a Charlton forum.

'Just finished his book mentioned on here recently. Well worth a read. I had not appreciated he became Charlton captain at only 19. Was interesting to read that when Alan Mullery signed for Spurs, Bill Nicholson asked if he could play at right back, apparently because he was interested in Bailey as a replacement for Danny Blanchflower at right half. A short time later Bailey left for Wolves.

Bailey fell out with chairman Michael Gliksten when he was managing Charlton after which he departed but still has a soft spot for the club. Reminded me that the only time I wrote to a Charlton chairman was to Gliksten in 1967 when we sold Len Glover to Leicester for £80,000. Didn't get a reply. Some things don't change then!! '

Bailey has dementia now apparently, possibly linked to football. Also I didn't realise he was in the England squad in 1965 until a broken leg ended any chance of glory in 1966.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
He's the only one that has left us and gone to a top 6 club.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Leeds United were reigning Champions when Clough left us in 1974.

The thread was about managers who we took out of a job with another club. Lots of managers have left us to go elsewhere. The first that springs to my mind is Freddie Goodwin.

We could expand the thread to a list of managers who have been in more than one job at different times . . . . Bobby Robson!

:wink:

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
:lolol:

Back on subject, there was some suggestion from the Yeovil fan who I worked with that we 'tapped up' Slade.

I looked at Slade as well. We might have tapped him up but he left Yoevil on 16th February and was appointed at Brighton on March 6th.

From the Guardian at the time.

'Russell Slade has left his post as the manager of Yeovil Town, the club have today confirmed.

Rumours had been gathering since the end of last week that following a falling-out with the chairman, John Fry, regarding Yeovil's budget Slade was about to leave.'

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I was certain that Garcia was at Maccabi Tel-Aviv but a brief read confirmed that he'd left them for "personal reasons" before joining us so was a free agent

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I looked at Slade as well. We might have tapped him up but he left Yoevil on 16th February and was appointed at Brighton on March 6th.

From the Guardian at the time.

'Russell Slade has left his post as the manager of Yeovil Town, the club have today confirmed.

Rumours had been gathering since the end of last week that following a falling-out with the chairman, John Fry, regarding Yeovil's budget Slade was about to leave.'

If we tapped him up why did it take until 6th March to give him the job when he was already a free agent when Adams was sacked on Feb 21st.

Jim Gannon was our first choice to replace Adams so the whole tapping up theory carry’s no weight after a bit of looking into it.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If we tapped him up why did it take until 6th March to give him the job when he was already a free agent when Adam’s was sacked on Feb 21st.

Jim Gannon was our first choice to replace Adam’s so the whole tapping up theory carry’s no weight after a bit of looking into it.

2nd class stamps?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He is definitely " unique "

He left leaving fans wondering if he could have achieved more, without achieving nothing of note. And if you were to look back historically in 20 years time. Those who watched the cavalier football enjoyed it because it was good to watch.

Can he replicate that at a higher level ? I hope he does because he comes across as a really nice bloke.

His down sides are that his team's don't defend set plays very well. If he can sort that out then he could become one of the best.

If he doesn't then it will exploited by better a manager than him at the top level. And then it becomes. Is he a Manager who can accrue 75 Points plus per season because that's the minimum that the top clubs expect.

Last edited:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
His in play transitions are a masterpiece. The way he gets players to adapt to unique tactics is very intelligent. We have played most of the season with just 3 defenders yet look defensively sound and have created overloads across the pitch. We were deserved winners against Man Utd, West Ham, Leeds & Leicester however we struggled against a newly promoted side...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here