Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Pascal still 9 behind Michael Robinson in our top flight scoring chart?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Up for debate really, and apologies if fixtures in the dim and distant NSC past but whilst some might dispute it, football didn’t begin in August 1992, the top flight of the Football League only effectively rebranded, the winners of the ’new’ League were and still are the Champions of England.

Therefore, all power to Pascal‘s elbow for his 28 EPL goals for the club but IMHO our top flight record scorer is still the late, great and much missed Michael Robinson who scored 37 goals for the Albion in Division One between August 80-May 83.

Still both Albion legends though before the flaming begins. 😂

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Up for debate really, and apologies if fixtures in the dim and distant NSC past but whilst some might dispute it, football didn’t begin in August 1992, the top flight of the Football League only effectively rebranded, the winners of the ’new’ League were and still are the Champions of England.

Therefore, all power to Pascal‘s elbow for his 28 EPL goals for the club but IMHO our top flight record scorer is still the late, great and much missed Michael Robinson who scored 37 goals for the Albion in Division One between August 80-May 83.

Absolutely, but I'm struggling to remember how often Michael played and scored from defensive midfield like today and right back ??? I'm sure you'll remember Lenny being a bit younger :wink:

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007

Totally agree. Great achievement by Pascal, but Michael Robinson is our top flight top goal scorer. Sadly all records prior to the premier league are being ignored. Two obvious examples, Jimmy Greaves the greatest goal scorer in English football history, yet his nearly 100 goals more than Shearer isn't mentioned. Graeme Souness is always captioned for the number of games he managed in the premier league, no mention of being one of the great midfielders of all time with 5 league titles and 3 European cups amongst his massive haul of trophies.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Whatever you do don't mention inconvenient facts if they get in the way of the MSM point of view. As P/G simply gives his all, can't ask for anymore than that.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Up for debate really,
No it isn't.

At this point the premier league is 30 years old, and it created a notable change in the presentation of league football in England. A large portion of current players weren't born before the premier league started. I think a lot of people need to stop being so sensitive about 'premier league' records. Scoring the fastest goal or hattrick in the last 30 years is an impressive thing. Having scored more than others in the last 30 years is something a player should be allowed to be proud of.

It doesn't insist that sky invented football any more than 'post war' records suggest the allied forces invented football.

But 'top flight' is also it's own thing that encompasses pre-premier league football. And unless there's some dodgy goals that maybe should have been chalked up as own goals, then it is a factual thing that Robinson has scored more (so far) and there is no debate to be had.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Utterly dumb comparison.
It's not a comparison, it' simply a statement of numerical fact. Michael Robinson scored 37 goals for the Albion in 133 appearances in the top flight of English football. In 2nd place on 28 goals is Pascal Gross.

Try telling Harry Kane that Jimmy Greaves Spurs record didn't mean anything because it predated the Prem.

I watched Robinson live, he was an excellent player and statiistically is the benchmark for Albion top flight goals, and rightly so.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Totally agree. Great achievement by Pascal, but Michael Robinson is our top flight top goal scorer. Sadly all records prior to the premier league are being ignored. Two obvious examples, Jimmy Greaves the greatest goal scorer in English football history, yet his nearly 100 goals more than Shearer isn't mentioned. Graeme Souness is always captioned for the number of games he managed in the premier league, no mention of being one of the great midfielders of all time with 5 league titles and 3 European cups amongst his massive haul of trophies.
The way Sky and the BBC MOTD go on about Shearer's 260 Prem goals and ignore Greavesy's 357 First Division goals is actually sickening and so disrespectful to our greatest goalscorer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Totally agree. Great achievement by Pascal, but Michael Robinson is our top flight top goal scorer. Sadly all records prior to the premier league are being ignored. Two obvious examples, Jimmy Greaves the greatest goal scorer in English football history, yet his nearly 100 goals more than Shearer isn't mentioned. Graeme Souness is always captioned for the number of games he managed in the premier league and how he idiotically and ignorantly dismissed Brighton manager Roberto De Zerbi, no mention of being one of the great midfielders of all time with 5 league titles and 3 European cups amongst his massive haul of trophies.
Corrected for you.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Absolutely, but I'm struggling to remember how often Michael played and scored from defensive midfield like today and right back ??? I'm sure you'll remember Lenny being a bit younger :wink:
I do remember him scoring 19 league goals in a team that stayed up on the last day of the season. 😂

How much would a 20 year old version of Robbo cost today?

I think whilst these are clearly golden times for us all, the odd nod back to past doesn’t hurt 😉

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I don't recall Robinson ever playing defensive midfield.

He was too busy chasing the ball up front.

Last edited:

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Utterly dumb comparison.
I think you've dropped the ball here Simster - it's not a comparison it is a considered question regarding whether Robinson has scored the most top flight goals for Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club (answer, yes he has) rather than a current player who has scored a certain number of goals since a particular moment in time (the creation of the Premier League).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The way Sky and the BBC MOTD go on about Shearer's 260 Prem goals and ignore Greavesy's 357 First Division goals is actually sickening and so disrespectful to our greatest goalscorer.
Clearly all media often use PL only stats but i'm not sure its ever claimed that they are anything more than that. Anyway Match of the Day doesn't ignore Jimmy Greaves or his goals. And only recenty shared this graphic for example.

bbcsport.png

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I think you've dropped the ball here Simster - it's not a comparison it is a considered question regarding whether Robinson has scored the most top flight goals for Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club (answer, yes he has) rather than a current player who has scored a certain number of goals since a particular moment in time (the creation of the Premier League).
It is phrased as a question but isn't a question. It makes no sense. It is a factual statement. Robinson has the most top flight goals. Gross has the most PL goals. What is the question in the title? And why has one of the usual village idiots wedged in a reference to MSM?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here