Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is no statue safe?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I'm just baffled by the notion of you wanting people who throw nazi salutes at Tommy Robinson rallies, to protect statutes of people who fought the nazis.

Be 'baffled' all you like, I don't give a sh%t who defends our statues as long as someone does, so if a load of sandal wearing bearded guardian readers want to rock up armed with bags of quinoa and flasks of fairtrade coffee to use as weapons to repel the 'protesters' I'm in support of them.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Be 'baffled' all you like, I don't give a sh%t who defends our statues as long as someone does, so if a load of sandal wearing bearded guardian readers want to rock up armed with bags of quinoa and flasks of fairtrade coffee to use as weapons to repel the 'protesters' I'm in support of them.

You're more bothered by sandal wearing bearded guardian readers than nazis? Sounds like you are exactly the kind of person Churchill & our grandparents helped us defeat. Take it easy

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Someone else flippantly mentioned the flattening of the pyramids (built by slaves), how about a bit closer to home Stonehenge. I'm guessing it wasn't a gang of YTS students that dragged some of those Bluestones 200 miles...

In all seriousness though I can't make my mind up about the whitewashing (pun intended) of history. You can find offence in probably every person who is ever put up to have a statue made of them, maybe not always on the grounds if racism, but other equally valid reasons Dame Maggie of Grantham for starters...

As a further aside, will all those whose statues are now being ripped down have their titles removed.

Will families whose ancestors built their wealth from the slave trade and other dubious means have their country homes, estates and bank accounts raided?

Where does it end?

I'm with you. I know that I'm supposed to be outraged about everything, now and into the future. But I can't focus carefully enough on what I should be outraged about most.
Just things that affect me personally, or those that have affected millions throughout history ? And that the consequences of those bad things in history should not have time limits, ever.

Good things: The NHS - Tony Bloom - and probably Captain Tom.

Bad things: Everything else - especially statues, Rolf Harris, genocide, corrupt white people, corrupt black people, corrupt brown people. The banning of flasks, and the fact that hundreds are still dying every day in the UK from coronavirus, when apparently nobody died at all in Vietnam. And soon footballers will be complaining about having to play twice a week for their money in order to complete the season, this will really outrage me.

Let's keep it simple - just keep all statues of anyone who never did anything wrong or represented anything bad (or anything now defined as dreadful).

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
ah yes the 'small minority' defence much beloved of the BBC and the Guardian. Well Dominic Cummings is a 'small minority' of the population but that didn't stop the smug left going to town on him did it.
Your definition of smug left includes the Daily Mail and Telegraph who also criticised him

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
is there a competition now ? I think Ratko Mladić might make the quarter finals. You may be tipping an all black final, but I think Johannes Strijdom might just give Mugabe a run for his money...

His post was racist and I've put him on ignore. Can't believe a bloke younger than me sounds like some silly old man who thinks the bloke in the corner shop is going to put him in a big pot and cook him for dinner :shrug:

Edit :if you want to play mass murdered Top Trumps it looks a bit weird starting the game with all the white cards taken out of the pack.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
ah yes the 'small minority' defence much beloved of the BBC and the Guardian. Well Dominic Cummings is a 'small minority' of the population but that didn't stop the smug left going to town on him did it.

You obviously spend a lot of time reading The Guardian seeing as you know so much about its content. I'm utterly opposed to everything you stand for and I think the last time I read a Guardian article, either online or in print, was about six years ago. What’s with the obsession, fella?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
You obviously spend a lot of time reading The Guardian seeing as you know so much about its content. I'm utterly opposed to everything you stand for and I think the last time I read a Guardian article, either online or in print, was about six years ago. What’s with the obsession, fella?

I read the Guardian and the Daily Mail as i let to get both views. How does that make me 'obsessed'?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I wonder how many of the 4 brave souls who mugged my nephew and his 2 friends at knifepoint in November 2018 in Bristol for their wallets, concert tickets and phones were at the BLM protests in Bristol last Sunday.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wonder how many of the 4 brave souls who mugged my nephew and his 2 friends at knifepoint in November 2018 in Bristol for their wallets, concert tickets and phones were at the BLM protests in Bristol last Sunday.

Why would they have been?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here