Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is no statue safe?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why?

At the time his actions helped save this country from Nazi domination, had Hitler emerged victorious in 1945 no one would be allowed to protest about anything.

"Harris made a habit of seeing only one side of a question and then of exaggerating it. He had a tendency to confuse advice with interference, criticism with sabotage and evidence with propaganda"

Edit

I going to have to put you on ignore. I think that would suit us both.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Or maybe an 'opinion.' Fancy that eh on a chat forum,how dare he. Why is it that you can have an opinion, but if you don't agree with someone they have an 'agenda?'

Because an opinion is a cumulative thought, based on fact (as opposed to prejudice, which is a cumulative thought not based on facts), which seeks to determine a final position on a given subject.

An agenda is a series of opinions (or, in your case, prejudices) with an underlying motive. In your case, the oppression and/or emasculation of non-white people in Western culture.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Opinion cannot and will not be tolerated, fall into line or be branded a racist,bigot, homophobic, transphobic, and any other manner of insults that suit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited for you:

Opinion cannot and will not be tolerated on NSC, fall into line or be branded a racist,bigot, homophobic, transphobic, and any other manner of insults that suit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
‘You have to be fat to be round now, do you‘ ?
‘We want the forced feeding of skinnies.’

Well, you have to be in the cushion of comfort of the whitest of privilage to think it worthwhile to idly muse on here about which is the biggest late 20th century racist murderer (which conveniently excludes early 20th century racist murderers like, er, Hitler).

What next, idle musing on who was the biggest paedophile since the demise of Jimmy Savile?

Words are about to fail me.

Edit - I have taken action to rid myself of increasing exasperation.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Looks like Baden-Powell is toast

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53004638

Getting a bit silly...

I agree. I think that having thoughts and views in line with the times is not a consideration. Being actively involved in practices that are no longer reflect our values is, however, a worthy reason for change.

I still have faith that folk will end up being sensible about this.

It's the renaming of some streets that concerns me. The streets are history in themselves that outweighs their title.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Well, you have to be in the cushion of comfort of the whitest of privilage to think it worthwhile to idly muse on here about which is the biggest late 20th century racist murderer (which conveniently excludes early 20th century racist murderers like, er, Hitler).

What next, idle musing on who was the biggest paedophile since the demise of Jimmy Savile?

Words are about to fail me.

It just reminded me of this;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8kcYv2L3cx8

I used to have that record. Wonder where that went.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I agree. I think that having thoughts and views in line with the times is not a consideration. Being actively involved in practices that are no longer reflect our values is, however, a worthy reason for change.

I still have faith that folk will end up being sensible about this.

It's the renaming of some streets that concerns me. The streets are history in themselves that outweighs their title.

I think they've removed it as a precaution, put it back when its all died down. If you consider what the Scout Movement has achieved globally for the young its simply crazy

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Because an opinion is a cumulative thought, based on fact (as opposed to prejudice, which is a cumulative thought not based on facts), which seeks to determine a final position on a given subject.

An agenda is a series of opinions (or, in your case, prejudices) with an underlying motive. In your case, the oppression and/or emasculation of non-white people in Western culture.

He's back!! Mr Patronising!!! Can you prove my 'motive' for the oppression and or emasculation of non white people? Typical of your sort isn't it to throw that insult if they dare to stray from the 'acceptable' line. How does me saying why didn't the mayor of London call for statue's to be pulled down in 2016 when he first took office and that the police should target those most likely to commit knife crime's make me an 'oppressor'? People like you are so convicted of your rightness you just shout and insult anyone who dares to disagree with you.

Hey Mr right on 'I love women's football I'll ask again how many features were there on it on the albion roar before it became the 'in' thing for people like you to be into it? Say in 2007 was the albion womens captain a studio guest, was there a debate on how to increase it's popularity? If not why not? I thought surely you'd be the first to want a fully 'inclusive' content on the show?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why?

At the time his actions helped save this country from Nazi domination, had Hitler emerged victorious in 1945 no one would be allowed to protest about anything.

With the greatest respect Lenny, I think a more in depth balanced knowledge of history might hold you in good stead. Neither the German Blitz or British bombing campaigns did much more than galvanising home support against a tyrannous enemy. If anything, they prolonged the war given had either side not attacked civilian populations, public opinion, especially in Germany may have had a much more significant impact on morale, as it was it provided a boast to propaganda. It is hard to be definitive whether it had any impact on the defeat of Hitler at all, and strategically it may have been a whole waste of time and resources at great human cost.

Anyway, I’m not saying this with any great authority, other than podcasts and general interest. This article is a good place to start though on whether the bombing campaign was a catalyst for victory or bringing it to a swifter conclusion. https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...ction-of-german-cities-are-wrong-1374893.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/firestorms-darken-our-past-those-who-defend-bomber-harriss-destruction-of-german-cities-are-wrong-1374893.html

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I think they've removed it as a precaution, put it back when its all died down. If you consider what the Scout Movement has achieved globally for the young its simply crazy

It’s not been removed, it’s still there.

I don’t think the leader of BCP council realised just how negatively this story would be received by local residents, there’s some serious back peddling going on.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Apropos of nothing, if someone offered you £1,000 to be painted grey and spend the day in Bristol as a 'living statue' on the plinth dressed as Edward Colston would you do it?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Do you mean fattest?

Your posts are becoming increasingly fatuous. Anyone might think you have an agenda ???

Its partly I enjoy winding up faceless keyboard warriors like yourself.

I don't know if you got Harry Wilson's name from an old programme or copy of Shoot, and you are in fact some pimply faced teenager with huge chip on his shoulder?

I don't know if you were a member of BISA, came down to the meetings at the Concorde, stormed the Directors box against Carlisle, invaded the pitch against York City, boycotted the Mansfield game, left the Hereford game when the rocket went off, had your ears bleed at a John Baine gig, that's the whole fun of the game I just don't know who you are????

Back in March I unfortunately had to go to rehab due to alcohol issues, 92 days clean today, they told me at the clinic I would eventually replace Corona, my binge drink of choice, with something far more enjoyable and healthy, and getting you to respond to my posts has done the trick. Thanks HWT

When we get back to Amex come and find me and we can share a couple of cokes and a hot dog. x

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
With the greatest respect Lenny, I think a more in depth balanced knowledge of history might hold you in good stead. Neither the German Blitz or British bombing campaigns did much more than galvanising home support against a tyrannous enemy. If anything, they prolonged the war given had either side not attacked civilian populations, public opinion, especially in Germany may have had a much more significant impact on morale, as it was it provided a boast to propaganda. It is hard to be definitive whether it had any impact on the defeat of Hitler at all, and strategically it may have been a whole waste of time and resources at great human cost.

Anyway, I’m not saying this with any great authority, other than podcasts and general interest. This article is a good place to start though on whether the bombing campaign was a catalyst for victory or bringing it to a swifter conclusion. https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...ction-of-german-cities-are-wrong-1374893.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/firestorms-darken-our-past-those-who-defend-bomber-harriss-destruction-of-german-cities-are-wrong-1374893.html

Depends what your measurement of success is, aside from the desert war in the 41-43 period the UK had no way of offensively striking any meaningful blow on Germany other than bombing. At that time it was possible that Russia who was doing all the heavy lifting in terms of losses to its civilians and armed forces, could buckle.

The U.K. at that point had also taken a pasting militarily in Europe and the Far East and politically this was problematic for Churchill in his dealings with Roosevelt and Stalin. Bombing was crude and it was indiscriminate, but it was the only show in town. So, bomber command drew a massive portion of the war budget.

Of course we can look back at Churchill and Harris now, with clearer eyes on the events, but we were not there. We can accept that in times of national survival people who were leaders took unpalatable decisions. If we are mature enough to have experienced times in our lives where the only decision you can make is the best worst decision we may have a scintilla of empathy.

Or, we can be childish and say f@ck the old ********, let’s dig them up and chuck ‘em in the river.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here