Is Messi the best you've seen?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I still rate George Best higher but that's probably seen through rose tinted spectacles. Messi is the best since. One failing though is he has not done it on the international stage like his compatriot Maradona. The only negative I can think of.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Not as good as Ronaldo Of all time greats I rate him behind Ronaldo Best, Beckenbaur, Cryuff Pele and Maradona so not the bet for me.

Hes already ahead of all of them for me... and lets face it if he stays fit will probably score another 250 goals in the next 5 years for Barca...

As records go he will set every one.

And they will NEVER be beaten in my opinion.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I was over in Barcelona a few weeks back and watched
them against Rayo Vallecano at the Nou Camp. Messi barely got our of second gear and still bagged himself a hat trick. Such a naturally gifted footballer and fairly likeable to boot.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Every player has their strengths and weaknesses, even the very best. And I don't buy the 'he hasn't won the World Cup, so he clearly cannot be considered the best ever' considering how much football has changed and considering the money now involved in club football/the Champions League which has pretty much made that the pinnacle of football with super teams being bult and rebuilt every year.

But yes, for me he is the best I've seen both for his output statistically but also for the absolute joy watching him brings. Ronaldo, whilst probably possessing gifts (aerially for example) that Messi doesn't possess, just isn't as fun to watch. He's a beast but watching him just doesn't fill me with joy. Messi is that perfect blend of Ronaldo's efficiency, Ronaldinho's flair and skill, and Zidane's vision and control.

Admittedly though, at 29, it's hard to sit here and compare him to Maradona or Pele (or anyone else being put forward for the ridiculously subjective honour of being 'the best ever') because I just haven't seen enough of them.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Still laugh at the people who rate Ronaldo ahead of Messi. Have you ever seen Ronaldo put in a performance like Messi did last night? No. Ridiculous levels of skill on show. He is so much more a complete player than Ronaldo, his playmaking has taken on another dimension this season. Ronaldo will sprint past people and smash the ball in the net which is great, but in terms of proper technical skill, creativity, eye for a pass, execution of that pass (see assist last night), dribbling he is way out in front. Ronaldo has been one of the finest athletes on this planet, but his skill set is not on a par with Messi.

Excellent at club level. However like Ronaldinho, has so far failed to perform at international level.

Messi is clearly an amazing player but he is playing for and has always playing for one of the best club teams around.

His next World Cup for me is the defining moment of whether he can be called the greatest player of all time.

Did you watch the last World Cup? He and Mascherano pretty much dragged Argentina to the final. Di Maria et al just didn't show. If Higuian had scored when being clean through on goal in the first half of the final, it would have been a completely different story.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There are people who will point to his use, for medical reasons, of HGH the banned Performance Enhancing Drug, as a cloud over his greatness.
Those people will say it explains away his lack of long term injuries and his ability to seem considerably fitter than those around him, in the last quarter of matches.
People making that case can also draw 'conclusions' from the 'grey' areas that weren't cycling specific in Operation Puerto, and so therefore not investigated.

None of this has a shred of evidence beyond him taking HGH when younger, and fortunately none of the people making such claims post on NSC as it could impact on the site and Bozza.

But hey it doesn't stop haters from hating.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We are currently watching the best 2 players ever.

Its not even close, to those players of the past.

I do think Ronaldo is a more rounded footballer than Messi, but Messi is still no1.

They are streets ahead of the rest.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He's the best because of his team mates.Put him in another club and see how he does,and then judge him.

Just out of curiosity, are you one of the people that thinks CR7 is the best 'because he made it the hard way' of playing at poor old Man Utd and Real Madrid where his teammates were utter guff?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
His 'weaker' foot is stronger than Messi's and he is much better in the air.

Disagree about the weaker foot, Messi has scored a huge number of goals this year with his right foot, not tap ins either, quality finishes from the edge of the box. Ronaldo is better in the air definitely. Messi is so much more a complete player though, he is ahead in everything apart from the air and straight line speed.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Disagree about the weaker foot, Messi has scored a huge number of goals this year with his right foot, not tap ins either, quality finishes from the edge of the box. Ronaldo is better in the air definitely. Messi is so much more a complete player though, he is ahead in everything apart from the air and straight line speed.

You can disagree with the weaker foot thing if you like.... your wrong tho ;-)

As i say tho Messi is still the man.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Still laugh at the people who rate Ronaldo ahead of Messi. Have you ever seen Ronaldo put in a performance like Messi did last night? No. Ridiculous levels of skill on show. He is so much more a complete player than Ronaldo, his playmaking has taken on another dimension this season. Ronaldo will sprint past people and smash the ball in the net which is great, but in terms of proper technical skill, creativity, eye for a pass, execution of that pass (see assist last night), dribbling he is way out in front. Ronaldo has been one of the finest athletes on this planet, but his skill set is not on a par with Messi.

Did you watch the last World Cup? He and Mascherano pretty much dragged Argentina to the final. Di Maria et al just didn't show. If Higuian had scored when being clean through on goal in the first half of the final, it would have been a completely different story.

I've seen Ronaldo produce many performances like Messi did last night. Do you watch La Liga regularly?

Ronaldo has the most assists in La Liga this season. And have you SEEN some the skills he perfectly executes in games to get past people? How much of La Liga do you actually watch to be able to compare them? It makes me laugh how people have have such strong opinions having watched them play on TV maybe only a couple of times a year.

Messi was gash in the World Cup compared to his usual standards, so I'm wondering what you were watching. He didn't even score in the knockout stages, which they scraped through with 1-0 extra time wins and penalty shoot-outs. He even admitted 2014 was a 'year to forget' for him. He's been brilliant in 2015 so far.

At the end of the day, people are fickle 'go with the wind'. At the start of the season Ronaldo was unstoppable, but at the moment Messi is. If you look at a poll on NSC in December, Ronaldo had 63% of people saying he was the better than Messi. If you carried out a similar poll now, the results would probably be reversed, simply because Messi is on form. http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?314226-Ronaldo-v-Messi

They are both amazing, but Ronaldo edges it for me.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

I did and I'd disagree.

The point I tried to make was more that over the last 50 years, there have been great players who have really shone at club level but failed to repeat their club feats at international level.

John Barnes, Gianluca Vialli, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo and in my view Messi at the moment have not.

Whilst Messi did well at the last world cup, in comparison to James Rodriguez, Arjen Robben, Thomas Muller who all looked world class last year and then add in greats like Pele, Maldini, Maradonna, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Eusebio all of whom just set World Cups over the years alight; I don't think you can compare at the moment.

I hope that he does have that World Cup which everyone just watches him and says "Messi is the greatest player ever", but I just don't think he will and it's the same for Ronaldo and one or two pieces of magic on a pitch does not mean you're the best player ever.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I've seen Ronaldo produce many performances like Messi did last night. Do you watch La Liga regularly?

Ronaldo has the most assists in La Liga this season. And have you SEEN some the skills he perfectly executes in games to get past people? How much of La Liga do you actually watch to be able to compare them? It makes me laugh how people have have such strong opinions having watched them play on TV maybe only a couple of times a year.

Messi was gash in the World Cup compared to his usual standards, so I'm wondering what you were watching. He didn't even score in the knockout stages, which they scraped through with 1-0 extra time wins and penalty shoot-outs. He even admitted 2014 was a 'year to forget' for him. He's been brilliant in 2015 so far.

At the end of the day, people are fickle 'go with the wind'. At the start of the season Ronaldo was unstoppable, but at the moment Messi is. If you look at a poll on NSC in December, Ronaldo had 63% of people saying he was the better than Messi. If you carried out a similar poll now, the results would probably be reversed, simply because Messi is on form. http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?314226-Ronaldo-v-Messi

They are both amazing, but Ronaldo edges it for me.

I watch a hell of a lot more La Liga than Premier League football. Watch 75% of ALL the live Spanish games on Sky so know the performances of each pretty well.

Messi has more goals and assists this season. http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/stats?competition=2

Messi was man of the match in pretty much every game of the World Cup. Without him and Masche they would have gone out in the group stages. How did Portugal do?

Yoda

English & European
His 'weaker' foot is stronger than Messi's and he is much better in the air.

That's my take on it too.

I do believe that Messi is one of the most gifted individuals on the ball, but there was something on the BBC website when he broke the Spanish all time league record about how he scores his goals. As of November 81% were scored with his left foot, 15% his right and 3% with his head (League only).

Just because of that I rate Cristiano Ronaldo as the more complete player.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Impossible to say with any certainty over the decades, as footy has changed in so many ways. Yes, Pele, Maradonna, Ronaldo and Messi all have a decent claim. But for me personally it has to be ...Fred Binney!

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Best, Greaves and the many others from years gone by did not have every kick televised and shown over and over again. But would love to get to Spain to see a Real v Barca game but Wife is not a footy fan. Advert on tele as I write this, El Clasico this Sunday, anyone fancy a trip to Barcelona?
ive just bought tickets for the Inter vs AC Milan derby on april 19th for me and my two kids , cant wait, one of the biggest games in world football , we're up in the gods but the tickets were only €28 each , which shows what a rip off football is in this country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports