Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it weird to “enjoy” a defeat?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Because that’s what I did on Sunday. I expected a hammering, did not expect a spectacular early goal and really enjoyed how we competed. Maybe we got a bit lucky but that has been in short supply recently.

The complete borefest between City and Arsenal only served to reinforce the feeling that I had seen a really enjoyable and exciting Albion game.

I also felt chuffed for Alexis, even if he was the one that ultimately laid on the ball that condemned us to defeat. Best player on the pitch and I didn’t begrudge it at all.

Anyone else or did you all want to slit your wrists? :smile:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Because that’s what I did on Sunday. I expected a hammering, did not expect a spectacular early goal and really enjoyed how we competed. Maybe we got a bit lucky but that has been in short supply recently.

The complete borefest between City and Arsenal only served to reinforce the feeling that I had seen a really enjoyable and exciting Albion game.

Anyone else or did you all want to slit your wrists? :smile:
Somewhere in the middle. I wouldn't say I enjoyed us losing by any stretch but one of the things I really love about the current RDZ iteration of the Albion is that, horrorshows aside (Villa and Luton in particular), I never feel particularly down any more after a defeat. It just feels like a bump in the path to something brilliant rather than the edge of the cliff right now and I've never had that before with the Albion. It's quite lovely.

And don't get me wrong, this feeling is entirely new to me. My utter despair at any bad result in the past has been all consuming and mood destroying. I fell out with my father, my partner and my entire university flat in one evening because David Ngog scored a 96th minute equaliser at the Amex for Bolton.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We were competitive for the whole game and there was a small possibility of an equaliser so it was worth watching. I think a neutral would've enjoyed the play and skill from both sides.
There were no passengers on either side.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I didn't enjoy the result, but I did enjoy the match, it was very entertaining. I also enjoyed our performance, after the weekend turmoil the management and players clearly showed that they had prepared well for this game and they made Liverpool work for their victory. That we actually carved out good opportunities towards the end to snatch an equaliser was a credit to the tenacity of the team. cracking game of football which also looked great on Match of the Day afterwards too.

The City Arsenal game on the other hand was an utter snoozer as Arteta successfully stymied Guardiola.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I sort of feel the same OP. We gave it a good go, but came up short to a very good side. Liverpool were generally there to play football, though they were happy to foul us every time we looked to break which I didn't like. Mostly they seem like alright blokes and I wasn't there, so didn't have to endure tedious scousers.

That said I can't use the word "enjoy". I was "less miserable" than I would usually be.

And on a similar note, my Mrs always say "enjoy the game" as I leave the house. That is the well meaning comment of someone who doesn't really get football. I'm not seeking enjoyment, I want us to win. If we do, i'll enjoy it. If we don't, the experience will usually veer between annoyance and desolation depending on the circumstances. The game on Sunday was unusual as it wasn't between those two feelings

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I didn't enjoy the result, but I did enjoy the match, it was very entertaining. I also enjoyed our performance, after the weekend turmoil the management and players clearly showed that they had prepared well for this game and they made Liverpool work for their victory. That we actually carved out good opportunities towards the end to snatch an equaliser was a credit to the tenacity of the team. cracking game of football which also looked great on Match of the Day afterwards too.

The City Arsenal game on the other hand was an utter snoozer as Arteta successfully stymied Guardiola.
Agree with all of that. Imagine any neutral watching both games would say the same. City/Arsenal was awful.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
In the PL years from the get-go I expect away losses to the big spenders, so don’t suffer the anger/dismay that many do after the near inevitable. Results are a bonus.

Was it the manner of this loss too …. no VAR fraud, LFC were on top in the main?
This was how I felt with the loss at the Emirates in January.. we were ultimately well-beaten by a top side but still in the game until the end, but no cause for anger or frustration through bad luck, poor officiating or a horrible mistake. It was the right result based on the relative performances on show ..... albeit I would have loved a scrappy equaliser at the end!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And on a similar note, my Mrs always say "enjoy the game" as I leave the house. That is the well meaning comment of someone who doesn't really get football. I'm not seeking enjoyment, I want us to win. If we do, i'll enjoy it. If we don't, the experience will usually veer between annoyance and desolation depending on the circumstances. The game on Sunday was unusual as it wasn't between those two feelings

Similarly, when some Albion supporters say I really enjoyed that 4-2 loss and what a treat to see Eden Hazard or Kevin De Bruyne …. I just can’t do that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Yep, never enjoy us losing but it was a decent performance and an excellent game for the neutral.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I can't say I ever enjoy losing but it's very contextual for me.

If we're up against one of the best teams in the world and we lose, hey-ho. If it's a spirited performance but we just con't get the win, it happens. If it's a rubbish performance and we nick it late on, very little is sweeter.

The only times I'll be properly miffed about a loss is if

A) the players haven't put in a shift or
B) some sort of VAR / officiating f**kery or
C) a combination of A and B

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
“Enjoyed” no, you must be joking. Appreciated a very good game, yes. Proud of what they achieved with literally all our first pick front attacking 3 all out. We caused Liverpool problems.

I do feel that now is the time for the club to let Ali Mac go, for us fans it’s a bit different, but I’m not sure I want to see the big love in from our club/players BEFORE the game again thanks.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think if it was the last game of the season and we didn't need the points, I could have enjoyed it, but we need the points, so I'm unable to enjoy any time we lose.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I strangely felt immense pride on Sunday. In all things Albion. We shouldn't be competing with the injury-ravaged and best players pinched squad we have but pleased we do. Lallana for next manager.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I remember when Sheffield Wednesday came to the Goldstone and inflicted a MASSIVE 4-0 defeat on us in 1990. I thoroughly enjoyed watching that match. They played sublime football. Of couse I wanted Albion to win, but we're supposed to enjoy football and they were a worthy watch that day.

el punal

Was there , thought it was a cracking game, before and after their lot where great
I’ve been to Anfield a few times, including our historic FA Cup win in 1983, and have found Liverpool fans to be friendly and generous in their praise. I took my grandson to our drawn game 2-2 two seasons ago. Before and after the game they really appreciated our style of football, and us as fans. So, a big up for the Scousers from me. :thumbsup:

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
I’ve been to Anfield a few times, including our historic FA Cup win in 1983, and have found Liverpool fans to be friendly and generous in their praise. I took my grandson to our drawn game 2-2 two seasons ago. Before and after the game they really appreciated our style of football, and us as fans. So, a big up for the Scousers from me. :thumbsup:
Was in the arkle all wanted a chat snd laugh, not one hint of any dickish behaviour everyone in colours chatting and getting on, after got at least 5 safe journey home lad

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here