[Travel] Is it time to scrap peak and off peak train tickets?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should peak and off peak be scrapped?

• Yes

Votes: 34 87.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Our resident train expert @jackalbion has previously posted on here that these days weekends are the busiest time on trains. Certainly, I can currently pick any carriage I want on my morning commute, which I couldn’t in the 2010s decade.

Right now I’m sat on the first train out of Brighton that allows off peak fare. It’s rammed. The Gatwick Express service that left before it was empty.

While you may now be paying extra but getting a seat, this makes a mockery of peak and off peak as a definition.

Isn’t it time TOCs were instructed to simplify their pricing structures and come up with a blended rate - perhaps two for “in advance, specific train” and “any train”?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Yes it is time train pricing was simplified. That Govia can charge three different tariffs for Brighton to London journeys is another example of their idiocy. Fares should be affordable, I find my railcard fares to London are just about right in my opinion. The peak fares are an absolute disgrace.

We need to view the rail network as a public service not a cash cow.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I’m guessing weekends are busier than weekdays because the all trains are quite busy at the weekends but on weekdays the peak trains are busy and the trains in the middle of the day are empty.

On you particular example is that just an issue at exactly that time. I.e. why pay peak fare for a train 10 minutes before off peak rates? But are the earlier peak trains busier and the later off peak trains emptier?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Our resident train expert @jackalbion has previously posted on here that these days weekends are the busiest time on trains. Certainly, I can currently pick any carriage I want on my morning commute, which I couldn’t in the 2010s decade.

Right now I’m sat on the first train out of Brighton that allows off peak fare. It’s rammed. The Gatwick Express service that left before it was empty.

While you may now be paying extra but getting a seat, this makes a mockery of peak and off peak as a definition.

Isn’t it time TOCs were instructed to simplify their pricing structures and come up with a blended rate - perhaps two for “in advance, specific train” and “any train”?
I have to pay full price to London if I travel before 9. That's around £50 return. If I get the 10.04, I can use my senior rail card and it costs me £15.00 for a 'super off peak return'.

So I'm all in favour of this arrangement.

When I do have to travel early I buy an ordinary single and a super off peak return with the rail card and it costs less than an ordinary return. How mad is that?

It is also possible to buy an ordinary return with a senior rail card reduction but only if I don't use it. The system allows the ticket to be sold but it isn't valid for travel and if I get caught with one it is £100 fine. That said I was sold two recently by a mobile ticket machine man, and the ticket worked on the barriers on both days. I saved £40.

The north Kent line was re-nationalized a year ago after the French owners did a bunk with all the Covid money that our useless government spaffed at them. Currently, first class has officially been abolished, and yet there are first class carriages still. Tickets are checked on the trains only during peak times. There are always several toilets out of use. The service is slower and shitter than when we had slam door trains and it was run by British Rail back towards the end of the clown Major's PM-ship.

If there is one thing that may push me into retiring it is the journey to London.

Overall the number of commuters has fallen by around 50%, probably due to more people working from home.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Understand with the way the different train companies are at the moment it would be tricky but would love to se similar scheme to a recent one in Germany. Think it was for a single €39 payment a month you got unlimited train travel. Guess what? Loads more people are travelling by train! That’s great for those that need to drive as there are less people on the roads.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Understand with the way the different train companies are at the moment it would be tricky but would love to se similar scheme to a recent one in Germany. Think it was for a single €39 payment a month you got unlimited train travel. Guess what? Loads more people are travelling by train!
It was nine euros a month. That's ended now but DB is set to bring in a €49 monthly ticket later this year. To make things even better, that pass covers Underground, S-Bahn, buses and trams too.

Why can't we have nice things?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
On Monday six of us need to get from Warwick to Westminster for 10.45. By train it is almost £200 return. We are taking two cars instead. If we didn’t need to get there until 11.30 then it would cost us 65 quid.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I believe they are looking at possibly changing the peak from Monday to Friday to Tuesday to Thursday, I know they definitely are on stock workings as my train into the office is a 9 carriage train Monday and Friday and 12 on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I definitely noticed a big difference travelling in today than on Tuesday.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It was nine euros a month. That's ended now but DB is set to bring in a €49 monthly ticket later this year. To make things even better, that pass covers Underground, S-Bahn, buses and trams too.

A monthly bus ticket down here in Almeria is currently €16.30. I don't use the bus very often so just top up my card occasionally with 10 journeys for €3.70.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
easyJet style pricing is only realistic way to solve the peak issue, then usage will determine pricing accurately. dont think anyone will really like or want that though, especially as train relies more on walk up fares.

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
Should do what happens in most European countries and just charge a flat reasonable price per mile for each journey, with price per mile slightly higher for fast intercity trains with fewer stops.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

I was in Berlin a month or so ago and was just amazed by the (I think) 8 euro 24 hr ticket. Allowed travel on the tram, underground, bus for an entire day.

It costs £7 just to get to Brighton from Worthing. We're being robbed, daily.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
A monthly bus ticket down here in Almeria is currently €16.30. I don't use the bus very often so just top up my card occasionally with 10 journeys for €3.70.
how far does that cover you for ? Is it just the city or does it cover a larger area ?
Here in Eastbourne its £63 for 28 days for Eastbourne/Polegate/Hailsham or £102 for East sussex & Kent (Not Brighton).
If it was Spain prices, I'd ditch the car altogether.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
how far does that cover you for ? Is it just the city or does it cover a larger area ?
Here in Eastbourne its £63 for 28 days for Eastbourne/Polegate/Hailsham or £102 for East sussex & Kent (Not Brighton).
If it was Spain prices, I'd ditch the car altogether.

The city and a couple of nearby towns. The airport too. A bargain, I'd say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports