Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it time to hand out really harsh sentences for just carrying a knife ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How about we tackle the root cause of why the people feel the need to carry knives?

A lot of the young people carrying knives do so because their genuine belief is that they need it to protect their life. Doubling or tripling the sentence isn’t going to make a blind bit of difference to somebody who thinks the alternative is being killed.

Glasgow used to be the knife crime capital of Europe. The improvement it has made when it comes to knife crime is miraculous. The way to solve the issue is there, but unfortunately we live in a system where young, poor people mainly killing or maiming other young poor people has its benefits so nothing changes.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/100066/how-glasgow-is-beating-knife-crime?amp

Last year John Carnochan, co-director of the Scottish Violence Reduction Unit, a national centre of expertise in tackling violence, told reporters that while prevention was a major part of the project, criminal justice still needed to be there and seen to be done swiftly”. "Sometimes it gets portrayed that we didn’t do that. But we increased stop and search, we spoke to the government and they changed the legislation to increase the sentence for carrying a knife. Things were bad and we needed to demonstrate we were serious,” Carnochan said.

so, education, community work, stop and search and increased sentancing was solution for Glasgow. why does anyone want to ignore half of that?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Last year John Carnochan, co-director of the Scottish Violence Reduction Unit, a national centre of expertise in tackling violence, told reporters that while prevention was a major part of the project, criminal justice still needed to be there and seen to be done swiftly”. "Sometimes it gets portrayed that we didn’t do that. But we increased stop and search, we spoke to the government and they changed the legislation to increase the sentence for carrying a knife. Things were bad and we needed to demonstrate we were serious,” Carnochan said.

so, education, community work, stop and search and increased sentancing was solution for Glasgow. why does anyone want to ignore half of that?

You tell me

:shrug:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

Sounds very sensible to me .

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021

Sounds a very sensible system.

The knives for work and religious beliefs would be dealt with by common sense. I’m not buying the argument that single parent families create this situation as I and many others have had this situation and never turned to a knife. You’d be shocked at how many people carry knives just on a daily basis, so before leaving home they think ‘wallet, keys, knife’, it’s honestly how a lot of youngsters think. Unfortunately there won’t be enough money invested in the growing issue but I can only hope for my childrens futures.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Scotland has a different criminal justice system from England, which hasn't been neglected.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Scotland has a different criminal justice system from England, which hasn't been neglected.

that isnt the view in Scotland where they report delay and backlogs. this is not the issue. the issue is we need a wide ranging approachs to problem of knife crime, including harder sentancing along side community actions. its not an either or solution, consider all actions.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
that isnt the view in Scotland where they report delay and backlogs. this is not the issue. the issue is we need a wide ranging approachs to problem of knife crime, including harder sentancing along side community actions. its not an either or solution, consider all actions.

Everywhere has delays and backlogs because of covid. Scotland doesn't have the underfunding issue as badly as England/

Anyway, as the old saying goes, Prevention is better than cure.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
The deterrents argument misses the point imho. A huge % of crimes are by repeat offenders. Most police know them locally by name. Bang more of them up, for longer, and they are not on the streets to commit crimes. Needs more prisons and prison officers. So build more and employ more.

So here’s the history of the bloke who was being chased in the case where the 9 year old was shot and killed. Quelle surprise, a repeat offender. Time for sentences to be drastically increased for repeat offences, and potentially a 3 strikes and out rule.

Nee, who was also shot, was jailed in 2018 for three years and nine months for burglary. Nee, was previously convicted of two counts of theft of a motor vehicle, dangerous driving, driving without insurance and driving while disqualified.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Did anyone hear the lady on Nicky Campbell this morning saying that in that area, talking to the police is regarded as a dangerous occupation and drugs and turf wars are so regular, you do not go outside your house unless you really have to.

Seemly people are reluctant to lay flowers as they fear of being filmed and intimidated after the event.

What is this country coming to!

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Sounds a very sensible system.

The knives for work and religious beliefs would be dealt with by common sense. I’m not buying the argument that single parent families create this situation as I and many others have had this situation and never turned to a knife. You’d be shocked at how many people carry knives just on a daily basis, so before leaving home they think ‘wallet, keys, knife’, it’s honestly how a lot of youngsters think. Unfortunately there won’t be enough money invested in the growing issue but I can only hope for my childrens futures.

I think it’s a tiny minority that think like that . Most of them live on rough council estates and don’t have a father living with them . Just an educated guess .

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I agree with all who say our current criminal justice system is shambolic.

Last year I was selected for jury service, it was at a very inconvenient time for me, right at the end of the hospitality lockdown, so I was prevented from opening my cafe the first 2 weeks when restrictions were lifted. I was selected fo Hove CC, and turned up on the Monday morning only to be sent straight home as not required, and told to report next day. To cut a long story short, this was how it continued for 2 weeks, turn up, wait between one, and six hours, get sent home. Not only me, but 19 other people as well. What with travel expenses, and compensation for my not being able to work, it cost the Government the best part of £500, and that was just me. Multiple that by the amount of jurors that can claim, and it is a huge sum.

When I asked why we were all sat in the jury room , twiddling our thumbs, I was told a lot of it was the system, a defendant turns up at court and changes his plea, a Barrister finds a reason to postpone the trial on the morning it’s meant to start, or the Prosecution has somehow messed up.
Surely, a better system could be implemented.

Frustrating, but it's not always like that. I was called a few years ago and sat on two cases during my two weeks. A rape case and sexual assault of a 6/7 year old)!!

Some people were sent home but they have to call on more potential jurors than needed due to various circumstances. I was glad to do my duty and would happily drop it again ... although ideally not one like the sexual assault of a young girl!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here