Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is it time for the UK to become a republic?

Is it time to become a republic?

• Yes - become a republic

Votes: 189 38.4%
  • No - keep the monarchy

Votes: 306 62.2%

• Total voters

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
4 or 5 billion watching is obviously completely impossible and a result of UK royalists patriotic fantasies, similar to how the 3.5 billion figure for the Olympics in Atlanta just didn't happen. The figures are most likely the number of people who had access to watching it if they wanted/didnt have a job/didnt have to sleep.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The shit that is being aimed at Meghan Markle is disgraceful.

I have tried my best to keep my opinions to myself out of respect for the grieving family. Yes supports of the monarchy are piling in on her on social media (apparently she wore gloves). Does slagging her off not count as disrespectful?

People may believe that she deserves it but surely they can keep a lid on it for a few days?

Anti monarchists are being asked to keep their opinions to themselves out of respect. But the Meghan haters are allowed free reign.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I have tried my best to keep my opinions to myself out of respect for the grieving family. Yes supports of the monarchy are piling in on her on social media (apparently she wore gloves). Does slagging her off not count as disrespectful?

People may believe that she deserves it but surely they can keep a lid on it for a few days?

Anti monarchists are being asked to keep their opinions to themselves out of respect. But the Meghan haters are allowed free reign.

They can turn it around over time. Look at Camilla, the narrative of marriage breaker transformed into a romantic story of true love finally finding itself. Only 85 years ago a King had to abdicate because he loved a divorcee, now the throne has 2 of them effectively. Prince Andrew to have the full redemption PR machine next I expect. Meghan will have to wait in line.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They can turn it around over time. Look at Camilla, the narrative of marriage breaker transformed into a romantic story of true love finally finding itself. Only 85 years ago a King had to abdicate because he loved a divorcee, now the throne has 2 of them effectively. Prince Andrew to have the full redemption PR machine next I expect. Meghan will have to wait in line.

dont think Megan will because she wont play the game. one needs to suffer the Ordeal of the Media. Camilla is the example to follow, accepted/ignored the barbs got on with stuff (ton of charity involvement works wonders) and the media tire, then come round. think how many celebs go through this. quite seperate from the nastiness on social media, thats mostly bored people getting their kicks.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I doubt your average bloke in Beijing was too bothered. Apparently, in India it wasn't broadcast on any TV station and there were no public screenings.

It was. On a veterans site, someone I trust said their friends in India watched it all day.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It was. On a veterans site, someone I trust said their friends in India watched it all day.

Agree most likely at least one of Indias 900 TV channels showed it.

Still zero chance that 5 billion people watched this funeral. People have to be proper deluded to even consider the possibility of that happening.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Whilst I don't like the idea of an unelected head of state the role is largely ceremonial, full power is unlikely to be exercised.

Your list is a reminder we need much reform in other areas and becoming a Republic isn't really a priority at this time.

A written constitution would also be a good start.

agreed

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

She'll be so glad she persuaded Harry to get the hell out.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Yes, of course it is. We are a laughing stock internationally.

Operating a monarchy in this century is rather like going to the GP and being prescribed leeches. Things have moved on a bit, we just seem backward.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Operating a monarchy in this century is rather like going to the GP and being prescribed leeches. Things have moved on a bit, we just seem backward.

Unless we can get to a super majority in favour of a Republic, I'd rather not change things, the last 11 days have been used highly effectively to sure up the status quo.

Right now there would probably be a super majority in favour of the monarchy, but things can change.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Are you aware that leeches are still being used in modern medicine? I kid you not.

Far from being a laughing stock internationally, much of the world was watching yesterday with empathy and admiration.

They laugh at our politicians and the mess in Westminster but not at our Royals.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Unless we can get to a super majority in favour of a Republic, I'd rather not change things, the last 11 days have been used highly effectively to sure up the status quo.

Right now there would probably be a super majority in favour of the monarchy, but things can change.

I'm big in favour of a Republic but I do agree- it would require a super majority to make a change...not having another 52-48 fiasco again

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Are you aware that leeches are still being used in modern medicine? I kid you not.

Far from being a laughing stock internationally, much of the world was watching yesterday with empathy and admiration.

They laugh at our politicians and the mess in Westminster but not at our Royals.

With respect, I believe most are polite enough not to laugh in our faces, and I like to think most people of any nationality will have respect for a death, it is a universal event that affects us all.

Nonetheless, try to engage in a discussion on politics with friends from around the world, and at some point somebody will joke along the lines of “you don’t have to listen to them, they still have a monarchy.“

You have to accept that for most of the world, kings, queens, princes and princesses are the stuff of books for small children. They’re not supposed to be real.

To see a nation that behaves in the way that we behave with our royal family is absolutely a spectacle, and many will watch with respect, but equally many will watch with astonishment.

People will watch a traffic accident, it doesn’t mean they’re in favour of traffic accidents and want more of them. I fear that a great effort is currently being made to correlate viewing figures with support for the monarchy, when the truth is somewhat more complex.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

is this based on evidence, or your own projected view? there are dozens of monarchies around the world, including Spain, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Japan. are they all laughing stocks too?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
is this based on evidence, or your own projected view? there are dozens of monarchies around the world, including Spain, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Japan. are they all laughing stocks too?

Yes 43 countries have monarchs, and our own King is head of state in 15 countries although he may lose two of them in the near future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here