Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Is It Safe To Swim In The Sea Off Brighton Beach Now That Summer Might Be Finally Here?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Evidence over the past 40 years suggests that state ownership of rail and water should (!) produce better results for consumers.

Railways - the madness in Sussex and Kent exemplifies the silliness of our model of privatisation. SE, Southern, Thameslink, Network Rail and Gatwick Express …. why? Anyone, name a single tangible benefit to us from this. We’ve been turned away with the ‘wrong tickets’ if we try to use a different route home to Brighton.

I’m not nostalgic about British Rail. Anyone here with a knowledge of current affairs will recall the names Sid Weighell, Ray Buckton, Jimmy Knapp and Peter Parker embroiled in endless bitter disputes, very old rolling stock, the wrong type of snow or leaves on the line, all bringing the nation to a halt. I worked with older folk who had commuted to London in the 70’s …. giving them a lifetime hate of ASLEF and the NUR. They clashed with striking railways workers at Victoria and London Bridge in that era.

Hoping that if Labour ever nationalise, there’s are more mature approach from all. Probably fanciful by me.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Railways - the madness in Sussex and Kent exemplifies the silliness of our model of privatisation. SE, Southern, Thameslink, Network Rail and Gatwick Express …. why? Anyone, name a single tangible benefit to us from this. We’ve been turned away with the ‘wrong tickets’ if we try to use a different route home to Brighton.

I’m not nostalgic about British Rail. Anyone here with a knowledge of current affairs will recall the names Sid Weighell, Ray Buckton, Jimmy Knapp and Peter Parker embroiled in endless bitter disputes, very old rolling stock, the wrong type of snow or leaves on the line, all bringing the nation to a halt. I worked with older folk who had commuted to London in the 70’s …. giving them a lifetime hate of ASLEF and the NUR. They clashed with striking railways workers at Victoria and London Bridge in that era.

Hoping that if Labour ever nationalise, there’s are more mature approach from all. Probably fanciful by me.
To be fair, leaves on the line isn't a BR thing. When I commuted from Reading about 12years ago they ran a special autumn timetable to account for longer braking times due to leaves.
Technically a lot of what BR did was marvelous. Apparently by the early 90s there were more +100mph trains in Britain than any other country.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
children back at school this week and it’s set to be a scorcher

A3E4E1D4-B600-4DC3-8D24-2C9A8843DA4B.jpeg

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
We were tidying out the garage the other day and found a list of all our monthly outgoings from 2005 - electricity was £20 a month, the house had no gas but electric storage heaters.

Now today my electricity bill is like £300 a month - we have a bigger house now but even so, my salary hasn’t risen by the same amount.

It is bloody ridiculous.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
We were tidying out the garage the other day and found a list of all our monthly outgoings from 2005 - electricity was £20 a month, the house had no gas but electric storage heaters.

Now today my electricity bill is like £300 a month - we have a bigger house now but even so, my salary hasn’t risen by the same amount.

It is bloody ridiculous.

Think you posted on the wrong thread Ted 😆

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
If you're not angry about this, you should be.

All sussex householders are paying a collective small fortune to line the pockets of senior southern water execs, while they fail to provide the service they are obligated to, and load up the company with more and more debt to pay themselves bonuses.

Brighton used to have a blue flag FFS, now you cant get in the water without risking dysentery.

This. It's a national embarrassment. Thames Water is full on fraud. Places like Harlyn bay - one of the best bays in the country -pumps shit in the sea on a regular basis and people seem to get more agitated about who uses what bog. We need serious politicians back.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I went for a swim yesterday, haven't been sick, or shat myself . . . Yet. . . .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The dog's had a dip the last three days running. A particularly long and splashy one on Sunday for the morning -0.1m big low tide.

The fact that this is an animal that once ate horse shit, yacked it back up and then ate the yack suggests that maybe it's not safe for humans.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here