Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it right to sell Neal Maupay?

Is it right to sell Neal Maupay?

• Unconditionally yes

Votes: 164 38.4%
  • Yes, if he is replaced

Votes: 225 52.7%
  • No, he's worth keeping

Votes: 38 8.9%

• Total voters

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm not sure I buy the argument that he's no longer good enough for us. I suspect the transfer is more about personality than ability. Just hope we don't regret it.

It’s about Neal not signing a contract (because he is not No.1 choice) and our club cashing in before he goes for peanuts in January or a free next summer.

He seemed popular at the club with fans and staff alike.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
At £15/20m that could go for free at end of season a great deal for club. However desperate for a replacement as we could be in real trouble when Welbeck is injured or out of form and we are relying on one that has no experience of English football let alone PL and a 17 year old

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
But he couldn't hit a barn door from six yards.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
I voted yes. For that kind of fee, makes complete sense. I know people are worried about if Danny goes down, don't have a lot of depth on that area but I think we are deeper than some think we are. And yes I know I have said this several times before, but if Potter and TB think his time was up here, than that's fine by me.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I have mixed emotions about this - good business if we got the suggested £15m for him but while he wasn’t prolific he did score some great goals and I’ll always love him for THAT equaliser at Palace and for his knack at winding up their fans !

I do hope we’ve got plans to sign another striker though because it is a gamble if we don’t and we tend to not dabble in the January window as prices are usually inflated. Welbz has shown what a class act he is but he’s going to need resting at times to keep him away from the treatment room leaving Undav as the only natural backup (as Ferguson is not yet ready to be starting PL games). For me, I’d love to see Brereton Diaz or Joao Pedro join - after all, we’ve banked a fair sum of money from the sale of Biss, Cucu & Maupay.

basque seagull

Oct 21, 2012
As things stand at the moment, yes. Out of favour with Potter and we are playing better without him. I think he has an attitude issue. Having said that he made an important contribution to where we are now and if he goes I'd wish him well in his career

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Haven't we replaced him with Undav? They look very similar.

Maybe with Ferguson waiting in the wings we are okay up front?

Strikers are not cheap or easy to find so I am thinking it is fairly likely we will do with what we have.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Strikers are not cheap or easy to find so I am thinking it is fairly likely we will do with what we have.

Yep, that’s how we seem to do it. Replacements are signed before a player departs. In some cases a year before. It’s this long term thinking that sets us apart from other clubs. It also makes this era of BHA an interesting one. We haven’t become just another PL club always looking at the same old overpriced has beens. Even NSC seems to be onboard, as evidenced by the lack of panicky striker threads this Summer compared to past years.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

I think the model is that scoring is a responsibility to be 'shared' by all outfield players. Danny Welbeck is a 'striker' but also makes things happen for other players.....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Well we must now have a few bob in the bank. Maybe pay Bloom some back

I don't think TB wants paying back - hence him turning a lot of the 'debt' into shares. When he took over he stated one of his aims was to make the club self sustainable - it looks like we might actually be on that road.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
There's nothing ever wrong with selling a player who isn't in the first team and rarely coming off the bench? And tbf isn't being missed. Also when the fee is very good, in comparison to cost and length of remaining contract. Whether that's Maupay or anyone. So, yes.

Well we could have done with him today. We were so wasteful

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Massive risk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Yep, that’s how we seem to do it. Replacements are signed before a player departs. In some cases a year before. It’s this long term thinking that sets us apart from other clubs. It also makes this era of BHA an interesting one. We haven’t become just another PL club always looking at the same old overpriced has beens. Even NSC seems to be onboard, as evidenced by the lack of panicky striker threads this Summer compared to past years.

Well unlike you I am worried. He has been our top scorer for 3 seasons. Welbs brilliant but likely injured. Undav who knows. Ferguson and Enciso very young. We must invest some of the 120m plus we have raked in on a striker we can be more certain will find the net. Today again proved we are profligate in front of goal.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Massive risk

Well unlike you I am worried. He has been our top scorer for 3 seasons. Welbs brilliant but likely injured. Undav who knows. Ferguson and Enciso very young. We must invest some of the 120m plus we have raked in on a striker we can be more certain will find the net. Today again proved we are profligate in front of goal.

Trouble is that spending big on a striker is also a massive risk. They don't come with any guarantees .

Ultimately only people at the club know how good Undav is or how far along Ferguson and Enciso are. I am happy to trust their judgement on this. I have no worries at all if they think that we are okay with what we have got. They have a good track record in this regard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here