Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it possible to support both Arsenal and Brighton & Hove at the same time.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
you can follow another team but not support

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Of course it's possible to support 2 teams, but it marks out those who have their teams in their blood and those who 'choose' a team. The idea of me supporting anyone other than Derby, even abroad is incomprehensible, even when I watch Brighton, it's out of interest rather than support. Sounds harsh on those who didn't have a team growing up, but you can't change the team that you grew to love as a child.

As an example, really got to like Rugby as an adult, and have 'chosen' Harlequins as my team, but it's meaningless, I don't actually care in any way shape or form.

Northern Monkey

Dec 5, 2012
You can support a league team and attend matches at a non-league team at the same time, no problem there as far as I can see but I'd stop short of actual support. In fact I used to regularly visit Burton Albion when they were non-league. However, I've stopped going now they're a league team as supporting two league teams doesn't feel right to me.

So in response to the OP, no it's not possible to support Brighton and Arsenal at the same time. Unless you're a true plastic who doesn't actually care much for football then supporting two teams should just feel completely alien to you. Unfortunately this breed of "fan" is becoming all too prevalent at clubs below the Premier League.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
No you can't and it's nonsense to say otherwise. One will always take preference over the other.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I think it's possible to 'like', or be interested in several clubs. Since I moved to Devon i've watched Plymouth, Exeter, and Torquay far more than Brighton play. But the passion isn't there, it's not the same. Whatever club i'm watching, i'll always have Brighton flowing through my veins.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I've supported both for over six decades, without there ever having been a problem. The only very odd occasion (as yesterday) when there is a direct conflict of interest is simple Arsenal just become our opponents and I have to hope they lose on this occasion. At times when we have been in the same league I just desperately want us to win, but would like them to as well, providing it doesn't lower our league position. You can certainly support two teams providing you have your priorities right. Whereas disliking can be equally dispensed Palarse and Man Utd are top of my list.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Lots of people have their own "more than one club" story. Depends a lot on age, family, location, etc

I supported Brighton and Wolves pretty much equally during the 1987/88 and 1988/89 seasons. Based in the West Midlands - watched most of Wolves home games, a few Brighton home, and a lot of away games for both. Also watched Wolves reserves and youth team (and Steve Bull playing for England "B" at Plymouth and Ipswich...). Saw 70+ games each season and absolutely loved it (Garry Nelson and Steve Bull helped...).

Moved back down South full-time in 1990 and affection for Wolves has diminished year by year to the point now where I don't care about them at all. Marginally bothered about the result if they play West Brom but not really.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
In different countries, I think it's reasonable to support more than one side. You can argue that one would always have to be #1, but when they are unlikely to ever meet, it doesn't really matter.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
It all depends on what you mean by supporting. If you go through the range of emotions from euphoria to desperation in the course of 90 minutes then that is probably the team in your heart.

When watching matches not involving the Albion I pick will generally "pick" one team to make it more interesting.

I follow the results of some other clubs for personal reasons - Leicester as I was at university there and would wander down to Filbert Street to watch them, Leyton Orient as three of my cousins are season ticket holders there.

Do I support another team. NO!!!!!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's "possible" because I do.

Am I ashamed of it? No.

My story is a case of initial peer pressure. I'm 28 and when in year one (so six years old) I wore my Brighton shirt into school and wore a head band to be Steve Foster. I remember being MOCKED whilst the rest of the boys wore Man Utd shirts.

"Brighton are RUBBISH".

Now, when you're 28 this sounds a PATHETIC reason to be upset....but when you're SIX and PATHETIC like I was, this is HORRENDOUS.

So I picked my "prem team". Horrible concept now but at 6 I did it. I picked Arsenal. I had a friend who supported them through his family and I liked red and white. I also liked the cannon on the badge. There you go, that was my logic. I wanted to be "different" and not support United. Looking back at it Arsenal finished 10th that year :lolol: It's like a kid choosing to support Stoke City now.

I remeber going to wathc them at Highbury and seeing Bergkamp for the first time. If ever there was a chance of me backing out it was SMASHED there and then. 22 years later and I love them. Yesterday was HORRIBLE but I had to want my home town club to win.,....but when you're 6 you dont even consider they could play each other.

People say "It's not possible to support two". Well, it is. If i could just "turn off" my arsenal supporting then that would prove in itself that I never really supported them.

Is it ideal? No. Is it a logical reason to support Arsenal? No. But this will be it for life. I'm stuck.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Now the game is over and the dust has settled its time to ask the all important question.....

I have had season tickets for many years at the Withdean and the Amex and have been a member of the arsenal and attend matches regularly for many years too.

Its was easy when Brighton were struggling in League one as the two team never met but now the seagulls are an established and ambitious Championship club im finding it harder.

I know there are plenty of others out there, so can you support Albion and a Prem team in 2015

As brighton will never win the prem, you are allowed to have a preferred choice to win that league. You can also use that team to surport in the Champions league.
But under no circumstances are you ever allowed to pick that team over brighton. If we end up in the prem together you surport brighton , even if we end up playing each other on the last day of the season , and we have nothing to play for but arsenal have to win to win the lge over spurs. Brighton comes first whatever the circumstances.

P.s im not biased i dont surport the gooners anyway shape or form. But i do have a preferred team to win the prem.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I couldnt ever have season ticket for another club fair enough going to the odd game if your spending your hard earned on a team you fon t fully surpport seems mad why not just spend that money on your favorite club

Don't see why not. A friend of mine is Arsenal through and through, but lives and works in Brighton. He can't afford to go and see Arsenal every week, so has an Albion WSU season ticket with us because he likes going to football. Last night, he obviously supported Arsenal and wanted them to win.

And as an aside, before anyone moans about an Arsenal fan in the home end, he didn't trust himself not to jump up and cheer if Arsenal scored, so didn't go.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
you support your home town/city team
not two teams so when one Shite you support the other
I have supported Albion when they were shite but never had a thought about supporting any other team
I mean can you imagine an Arsenal supporter being over the moon about beating Hereford to stay in the league
one team, home city team
Albion till I die

It's not that simple though, is it?

I'm Sussex born and bred, but my three boys were all born in London.

The nearest team to our home is Crystal Palace. Chelsea, Fulham and Millwall are all less than 5 miles away - and certainly a lot easier to get to than Falmer.

Maybe I should get them into cricket instead? (Although that would mean supporting Surrey...)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
As kids we all adopted a first division side - as it was known then. I remember listening in to the Arsenal Spurs game in 71 on the radio and praying they did the double. I still go with a couple of mates from 45 years back and we still have a little dig about our other clubs. Anyone who knows Bushfire Erskine will know he is As Brighton as they come (health permitting) but he still cheers on Man City ever since watching the 1969 cup final. He's been to over a 100 grounds to watch The Albion but 'supports his 'other team' like I do with Arsenal from the comfort of my lounge. So it's not so much support as follow really. When we got to the top,flight in 79 I was made to conduct a ceremonial burning of my Arsenal silkie in our back garden. I hated them yesterday.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
As brighton will never win the prem,

WHAT!!

Never say Never.. Surely you have to be unrealistic to be a proper supporter.! But what about Nottingham Forest in the 70s? All things are possible...

and in answer to the original question, no of course you cant support Arsenal and Brighton at the same time...
I like Liverpool, have since I was a boy, but I support Brighton, and when they meet Liverpool I support Brighton... of course.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
It's not that simple though, is it?

I'm Sussex born and bred, but my three boys were all born in London.

The nearest team to our home is Crystal Palace. Chelsea, Fulham and Millwall are all less than 5 miles away - and certainly a lot easier to get to than Falmer.

Maybe I should get them into cricket instead? (Although that would mean supporting Surrey...)

let them support who they want, and you continue to support the Albion
I have lived all over the country including London and my children were born in Shrewsbury and Chelmsford(and I have watched both of them) but my support was always for the Albion(I stood in the Albion end at Shrewsbury and watched Eddie Spearitt score a blinder against a young Phillips who later played forthe Albion and I used to speak to his father on a regular basis.)
I was born in the heart of Brighton and thats where my heart will always be although a little young at heart and expensive for us now.
I do remember going with one of my friends to Millwall and we both thought a little dangerously that it might be a good idea to wear out respective home shirts, him Narrrwhich and me Albiiiion, and to our surprise we got a great reception which might have been helped with a 2-1 win over said Norwich and my memory is not that good but I do seem to remember Albion losing at Blackpool 6-2 that day................lets hope thats not repeated next Saturday

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The problem with this question is it will never be a normal debate.

For those who DO support two teams (for whatever reason), the answer will be yes, because they understand how it works.

For those who do NOT, they will answer no....because they can't understand it.

It's like asking someone who doesn't like tuna if tuna is a nice food.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Non-league teams would have attendances of 0 if fans of "other" teams didn't come along on principle. Of course, it is possible to just support that non-league team and many people do but being realistic it's not gonna be many.

It's funny, no one is ever deemed to be "plastic" when they go along to cheer on their little local side. Like the thousands of Chelsea fans who go to see Palace when they're doing well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here