Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is it OK to say racist things if you're not racist?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Apparently it is. If you apologize later.
And if you apologize later that means you're not racist
And if you're not racist we should all move on.

I'll remember that if I ever get the urge to punch someone hard in the face
If I then say 'I'm not a violent person' and apologize, I would expect to be allowed to move on.

bit harsh

If the establishment under the Tories were really, really, really corrupt he would be a Sir by now .................. rather than having been given £billion contracts that have not delivered after giving them a back hander.

we need to stop being so cynical and make Britain Great Again.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
bit harsh

If the establishment under the Tories were really, really, really corrupt he would be a Sir by now .................. rather than having been given £billion contracts that have not delivered after giving them a back hander.

we need to stop being so cynical and make Britain Great Again.
Top patriotic work :thumbsup:

Down with the moaning minnies.

Other Thatcher quotes are available. I'd offer a selection but I'd have to rummage in the drawer labeled f***ed and Burned to find them. How sad. Never mind.

:wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Apparently it is. If you apologize later.
And if you apologize later that means you're not racist
And if you're not racist we should all move on.

I'll remember that if I ever get the urge to punch someone hard in the face
If I then say 'I'm not a violent person' and apologize, I would expect to be allowed to move on.
If you or I ever used such racist langauge (not that we ever would), I feel pretty certain the long arm of the law would be at our front doors.

"Sorry officer I didn't mean my hate speech or calls to shoot someone, I'm really not an actual racist"

"Well that's all good then, we'll pretend it never happened, you have a nice day and sorry to bother you"

1 set of rules for elitist toffs and 1 set for the rest of us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you or I ever used such racist langauge (not that we ever would), I feel pretty certain the long arm of the law would be at our front doors.

"Sorry officer I didn't mean my hate speech or calls to shoot someone, I'm really not an actual racist"

"Well that's all good then, we'll pretend it never happened, you have a nice day and sorry to bother you"

1 set of rules for elitist toffs and 1 set for the rest of us.
He hasn't been exonerated by the old bill yet.

Perhaps Abbot, who was denied a chance to speak in parliament during the debacle/debate today (shameful, but probably in labour's best interest, given what she may have said -blaming Starmer no doubt) may start a private prosecution. Or maybe the DPP may act.

Which would be nice.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
That, I think, is where the anti-racists (with the best intentions) are storing up problems. Treating black people as a different caste from white people is not going to help.…It's 60 years since Martin Luther King said that he wanted his children to be defined by the content of their character, not the colour of their skin.
LOL - did you actually absorb the content of my post before quoting me? - I literally said ‘being Black’ is NOT about being superficially defined by skin colour (that would be a discriminatory approach and is actually very dehumanising). Self-identification of being Black, is a recognition that it is an intrinsic part of one’s self-identity, ie the content of the /cultural/social/creative DNA of one’s individual character and personality - exactly what MLK was referring to - the very antithesis of stereotyping. MLK was saying that he wanted his children to be seen and known as being a part of the Black community, yet each having their own personality and personal narratives. Not objectifying them as skin-deep, one-dimensional, cookie cutter black people - because that is the root of racism..

Not sure what you mean by ‘the anti-racists’ tbh - Are you suggesting there’s a group of people, as distinct from the ‘normal’ majority, who are against forms of racial discrimination but most people are not? That kinda sounds like ‘anti-racists‘ should belong to the ‘tofu-eating wokerati‘. Everyone should be against all forms of racism and in fact most people are.

Btw fyi - referring to Blacks as a ‘caste’ these days incidentally would be seen as an insult. Also, when referring to Blacks, we use capital ‘B’ because that embraces the concept that being ‘Black’ is more than the colour ‘black’. (I know, it’s a minefield 🙂)

t's 60 years since Martin Luther King said that he wanted his children to be defined by the content of their character, not the colour of their skin. I don't think we're getting any closer.

I think society mostly is - most people are. But for those that are not, understanding that ‘skin colour’ is a description of what someone looks like not a definition of who they are, would be a good start.

But if I had dark skin, then none of the other things would be even relevant because having dark skin would define me.

Then I would honestly feel a little sad for you tbh, and not in a patronising way at all, that your self-identity as a person would only be skin deep. 😕

You and anyone else struggling to understand what I am saying here, may find this article very helpful indeed

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I think it was good that Diane Abbot was not allowed to contribute to prime ministers questions today because she is a

XXXX XXXXXXXXXX XXXXXX XXXX XXXX XXXXXXXXX XXXXX XXXXX Woman.

I apologise for what I said and have donated money to the Tory party to make it acceptable

....and I can't be racist because I want Kemi Bad Enoch to be the new leader.

So there.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think it was good that Diane Abbot was not allowed to contribute to prime ministers questions today because she is a

XXXX XXXXXXXXXX XXXXXX XXXX XXXX XXXXXXXXX XXXXX XXXXX Woman.

I apologise for what I said and have donated money to the Tory party to make it acceptable

....and I can't be racist because I want Kemi Bad Enoch to be the new leader.

So there.
Did you know that Hester’s Lawyer actually said (quoted in the Guardian link I posted earlier) ‘the fact that his (Hester’s) donation was to a party led by Britain’s first Hindu prime minister, a politician of Indian heritage, was further evidence of him embracing diversity’

That’s like saying, ‘I’m not racist - my cleaner is from Mexico ’ or ‘I’m not racist - some of my best friends are Black’ 😂

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That, I think, is where the anti-racists (with the best intentions) are storing up problems. Treating black people as a different caste from white people is not going to help.

I am an accountant, but being an accountant doesn't define me.
I am bald, but being bald doesn't define me.
I am overweight, but being overweight doesn't define me.
I am a Burnley supporter, but being a Burnley supporter doesn't define me.
I have pink skin, but having pink skin doesn't define me.

But if I had dark skin, then none of the other things would be even relevant because having dark skin would define me.

It's 60 years since Martin Luther King said that he wanted his children to be defined by the content of their character, not the colour of their skin. I don't think we're getting any closer.
You can change your occupation, have a hair transplant, lose weight and watch another football team, but you cannot change your skin colour.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes, seems you can say what you like abd get away with it now.. let's just remind ourselves of the key part of what was said, " it makes me want to hate all black women " . You really can't get any clearer than that yet, government ministers were sent out to say that those words were merely " wrong " but, here's the good bit " But it wasn't racist so we should draw a line under this and move on "

It cannot be spelt out any clearer that Sunaks government is petrified of losing its closet racist right wing voters.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You and anyone else struggling to understand what I am saying here, may find this article very helpful indeed
that would be an American acedemics' opinon, not widely shared. what common culture, identity or exeriences do you think there is between a Nigerian, a Briton of mixed African and English heritage, a Rasta in Jamaica or a Professor in California? imagine saying these people are all the same, based on their skin colour!

from your previous point about description, i reckon you dont actually agree with the article.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That, I think, is where the anti-racists (with the best intentions) are storing up problems. Treating black people as a different caste from white people is not going to help.

I am an accountant, but being an accountant doesn't define me.
I am bald, but being bald doesn't define me.
I am overweight, but being overweight doesn't define me.
I am a Burnley supporter, but being a Burnley supporter doesn't define me.
I have pink skin, but having pink skin doesn't define me.

It's 60 years since Martin Luther King said that he wanted his children to be defined by the content of their character, not the colour of their skin. I don't think we're getting any closer.

But the fact that you refer to 'anti-racists' as a different group to yourself, 'black people as a different caste' and you having 'pink skin' are simple confirmation of my definition of you, drawn from a long history of your posts on NSC ???

Last edited:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
You can change your occupation, have a hair transplant, lose weight and watch another football team, but you cannot change your skin colour.

MJ.jpeg

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm afraid Brexit made racists feel empowered.

The Tories use those of colour has been a masterclass in cover for their own entrenched views.
Indeed.

Having an ‘opinion’ and ‘right to speak’ was considered more valid than fact or being racist (unless you were spouting antisemitism).

Many people were emboldened that they could finally call a spade, a spade. Many people loved the fact Boris Johnson set the tone by calling out Muslim women for looking like letter boxes etc.

At its non-ideological core, Brexit was just plain nasty. It allowed a lot of nasty people to feel good about themselves and their racist ideology.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Starmer likely very glad that Abbot wasn't able to speak. See the results of the Forde report which Labour tried to bury as it exposed a "hierarchy of racism", abusive messages and tropes made by Labour staffers on the right of the party.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here