Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it obligatory to have a player that you have to be able to diss?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This is a human trait. You can find it in schools, work places etc. Someone who makes a visible mistake or act weird from a certain moment cant do anything without everyone pointing and saying "you are useless". Same for footballers. Look at Burn; he is tall, weird and when or if he loses a ball or a duel everyone is going to see it, while a guy like Lewis Dunk is more relatable to a bigger number of people and could be completely shit and everyone would still give him a 7 or 8 rating.

I read a study a few years ago, someone was trying to deal with psychological bullying among teenage girls. They were also trying to figure out why it was a lot more common among girls, and one of the reasons they found was that youngsters who has played in team sports are very much less likely to blame a specific individual when something goes wrong or does not mean expectation.

Sort of a relief to know that players are very unlikely to view things the way some fans are, which often borders to completely blind hatred.

You can still be critical against players and their ability but the "the world would be perfect without this specific person who has never made anything good in his whole life" thing is just... madness.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It would be exceptionally unlucky if the negative bellends sat around me at the AMEX were the same ones on here!

Rightly or probably wrongly I see it as a bit chicken and egg.

Bellend sat in the stand ruminating over player X.
Bellend at the keyboard ruminating over player X.

For me at some point one paves the way for the other and bellend gets his validation allowing for more bellendary.

Sunday's game I was forced to miss my first home game and watched at home.

A good game, granted no Arsenal, but a couple of fantastic goals and lots of quality football from both teams.

A game with the rare.treat of Ali J and Murray.

The groan from Ali's first (poor) touch was embarrassing.
I'm sure you're now one step ahead - but we're both wrong.

Because the groan from Murray's first touch was comparatively deafening.
Ten times that of the noise about Ali, hence not mentioning it as it was just a blip.

The groan that greeted Ali J's poor touch was instinctive. We needed to score to win. It was an emission of collective disappointment.

You can argue that he loses confidence because people get on his back or you can argue that people get on his back because he's comparatively poor (and, I say again, a RECORD signing). I think both are probably true. A loan will break the vicious circle.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A bit of a silly post! It's not about 'dissing' players at all. This is a forum, therefore we all have an opinion on all things BHA, including the players. If we had no opinions on here NSC wouldn't exist!!!!

I think the issue is, and perhaps what [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] is alluding to is when opinion spills over into something more certain and intransigent. Now people might have an opinion that Webster is finding the transition in the Premier League challenging and their view he's struggling, but to start a thread that he has to be out of the team in January seems beyond just constructive opinion to me, and is clearly calling the manager's judgement into question as well as having a fixed view on a player who has played just 12 times for the Albion.

The 'Barnes is not nearly good enough' thread is regularly bounced because of this strange need to write a player off who is regularly in the team. League One at best....really.

There definitely comes a point when 'opinion' turns into outright derision toward a player regardless of how well they perform. Perhaps this is best personified by Stephens at present. Despite leading us into 2 successful Championship seasons, almost ever present in 2 Premier League seasons, then the lynch-pin of a new manager with a whole new tactical setup AND yet he still gets all the crap he does from the crowd - I honestly don't get how that is just opinion? It's gone way beyond any kind of reason for some people.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not obligatory but it is natural. You can't like or love everybody

You can still support them. There are posters on Nsc who make up their mind that a particular player will never make the grade ever, and constantly criticise them, not matter what they do. Other posts then stand up for the particular player, and as the thread goes on, it gets more and more polarised and hyperbolic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The groan that greeted Ali J's poor touch was instinctive. We needed to score to win. It was an emission of collective disappointment.

You can argue that he loses confidence because people get on his back or you can argue that people get on his back because he's comparatively poor (and, I say again, a RECORD signing). I think both are probably true. A loan will break the vicious circle.
That still doesn't explain the response to Murray.

Yes and as much as I don't want to use Ali as an example for fear of having that dry retch of a debate again, he does rather epitomises my thought on the boo-boy culture.

The bottom line is we've hardly seen him, this season.
In fits and starts last season.

Those who really hate him had only 15 minutes of an otherwise entertaining match to tolerate him. He even managed to put in a decent cross.

He didn't appear to be a once record signing, 3 years in scouting, player.
He also didn't appear to be unable to lace his own boots, let alone anyone elses.

Now we all know he's off on loan - very much a win/win/win situation.

But days later we still are getting hatred from 'fans'.
Fans who'd just watch the best Albion team.
In the best Albion stadium.
With the best Albion manager.
Who's promises even more greatness to come.

I know now [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] is going to call me superior again, but that really isn't my intention.
As nobody is forced to go, I assume we all go the same reason.
I go to be happy, entertained, as a release from the drudgery of Stat World, to be part of something.

Not just to get wound up because someone who's leaving anyway, did the same thing everyone else has done, but I'm going to target him because he's shitehouse.

Sorry I can't see the enjoyment, when EVERYTHING else is so good.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think the issue is, and perhaps what [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] is alluding to is when opinion spills over into something more certain and intransigent. Now people might have an opinion that Webster is finding the transition in the Premier League challenging and their view he's struggling, but to start a thread that he has to be out of the team in January seems beyond just constructive opinion to me, and is clearly calling the manager's judgement into question as well as having a fixed view on a player who has played just 12 times for the Albion.

The 'Barnes is not nearly good enough' thread is regularly bounced because of this strange need to write a player off who is regularly in the team. League One at best....really.

There definitely comes a point when 'opinion' turns into outright derision toward a player regardless of how well they perform. Perhaps this is best personified by Stephens at present. Despite leading us into 2 successful Championship seasons, almost ever present in 2 Premier League seasons, then the lynch-pin of a new manager with a whole new tactical setup AND yet he still gets all the crap he does from the crowd - I honestly don't get how that is just opinion? It's gone way beyond any kind of reason for some people.

Cheers [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION], perfectly put :thumbsup:

Quite why we need to state, categorically, that players aren’t good enough when we are on course for our best ever season is frankly hard to comprehend. Of course we don’t have table topping players but these are amongst the best we have ever had, and are absolutely good enough!

Someone has a bad game, fine to call it but unfortunately many have a down on a player and are quick to jump in after a poor game but are seldom seen commentating when said player has a good one

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That still doesn't explain the response to Murray.

Yes and as much as I don't want to use Ali as an example for fear of having that dry retch of a debate again, he does rather epitomises my thought on the boo-boy culture.

The bottom line is we've hardly seen him, this season.
In fits and starts last season.

Those who really hate him had only 15 minutes of an otherwise entertaining match to tolerate him. He even managed to put in a decent cross.

He didn't appear to be a once record signing, 3 years in scouting, player.
He also didn't appear to be unable to lace his own boots, let alone anyone elses.

Now we all know he's off on loan - very much a win/win/win situation.

But days later we still are getting hatred from 'fans'.
Fans who'd just watch the best Albion team.
In the best Albion stadium.
With the best Albion manager.
Who's promises even more greatness to come.

I know now [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] is going to call me superior again, but that really isn't my intention.
As nobody is forced to go, I assume we all go the same reason.
I go to be happy, entertained, as a release from the drudgery of Stat World, to be part of something.

Not just to get wound up because someone who's leaving anyway, did the same thing everyone else has done, but I'm going to target him because he's shitehouse.
Sorry I can't see the enjoyment, when EVERYTHING else is so good.

You've missed the point regarding Murray. Again, it was an instinctive groan of frustration. Potter had basically put him on the left wing - not his strength given his age and pace.

You could be forgiven for thinking that Potter was making the point to Uncle Tone of "you may well have the best side this club has ever put together, and you may well want to finish top 10, but with a few injuries THIS is what the bench is reduced to". It's certainly one way to point out that, as reluctant as we normally are to do business in Jan, a replacement for our strikers / AMs out on loan would be nice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You've missed the point regarding Murray. Again, it was an instinctive groan of frustration. Potter had basically put him on the left wing - not his strength given his age and pace.

You could be forgiven for thinking that Potter was making the point to Uncle Tone of "you may well have the best side this club has ever put together, and you may well want to finish top 10, but with a few injuries THIS is what the bench is reduced to". It's certainly one way to point out that, as reluctant as we normally are to do business in Jan, a replacement for our strikers / AMs out on loan would be nice.
There is absolutely no way GPott has to do a Redknapp in order to make a point about his squad, to Mr Bloom, Barber-Out and Ashthingy.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
ELShYiXW4AEBxFD.jpg

Is there a Rubbish and Hove Albion card game waiting to be invented here? A sort of a reverse top trumps. Would Kuipers goal kicking defeat the pace of Gary Dicker. What would outflank the Guy Butters Ebay Sale offer? and could anything topple Angry Ashley Barnes League One at Best?

Images available from https://twitter.com/CheapPanini https://t.co/lkEODsbrpc

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
But I have no idea what the boo-boys expect when looking out on the very best Albion team/squad ever assembled.

In absolute terms For sure, the best team ever. In relative terms then we have to finish above 13th for this. It could happen this year, fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here