Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it just me or did we sing a lot more and a lot louder when we were in the Championship?

Did we sing more when we were in the Championship?

• Yes

Votes: 27 32.9%
  • No you're imagining it

Votes: 51 62.2%
  • Sing when we're losing.....we only sang when we were losing

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We had half the South stand for home fans for many games in the the Championship. Had a quarter on Saturday vs Brentford !
No wonder we were so much louder when we were in the championship with all those extra bums on seats.

The FA cup semi will be dreadfully quiet with us having only half the stadium.

Sorry...I just find this thread fatuous.

Anyway...who is the bigger club, us or Sheffield Wednesday?

(I am nipping off now to rinse the sand out of my undercarriage. Long day, etc.). :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I only started going in the Hyypia era but yes generally louder in the Championship seasons (where we were winning most games and chasing promotion).

For whatever reason no chant has taken off quite as loudly as Knockaerts at its peak.
And “We’re on our way”.

Both sung by one vast choir.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Unpopular opinion perhaps, but really don't think the Amex is all that quiet. It's not a permanent wall of noise but it's not MK Dons-like either.

Chelsea at home this season - absolutely deafening at times.
Palace at home down the years (but especially the first one, the 1-3 FFS Murray game) has not exactly been devoid of atmosphere.
That 3-3 Leeds game where we were 2 down, 3-2 up and CMS was superb in the second half.
Oh f**k it, there's actually too many games to list where the atmosphere has been excellent, I'm not going to bother with any more.

Some of you should try sitting in other Premier league grounds as a neutral. I can tell you, the Amex atmosphere is usually better. There are only a handful of grounds where you can guarantee noise. Elland Road is definitely one, parts of Villa Park too (the Holte End has always been 100 times better than the "suck the ball into the net" Anfield Kop, for example).

I mean sure, there are games at the Amex where the atmosphere is flat, often without reason, but overall I don't think it's bad at all. It's good enough that I *still* get a buzz when first taking my seat, regardless of whereabouts in the ground it is (and I've been in every stand except ESU).

Personally, I'd be more concerned at sections of our support taking this upward trajectory for granted. When the decline inevitably happens I hope our attendances don't drop off too dramatically.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Unpopular opinion perhaps, but really don't think the Amex is all that quiet. It's not a permanent wall of noise but it's not MK Dons-like either.

Palace at home down the years (but especially the first one, the 1-3 FFS Murray game) has not exactly been devoid of atmosphere.
That 3-3 Leeds game where we were 2 down, 3-2 up and CMS was superb in the second half.
Oh f**k it, there's actually too many games to list where the atmosphere has been excellent, I'm not going to bother with any more.

Some of you should try sitting in other Premier league grounds as a neutral. I can tell you, the Amex atmosphere is usually better. There are only a handful of grounds where you can guarantee noise. Elland Road is definitely one, parts of Villa Park too (the Holte End has always been 100 times better than the "suck the ball into the net" Anfield Kop, for example).

I mean sure, there are games at the Amex where the atmosphere is flat, often without reason, but overall I don't think it's bad at all. It's good enough that I *still* get a buzz when first taking my seat, regardless of whereabouts in the ground it is (and I've been in every stand except ESU).

Personally, I'd be more concerned at sections of our support taking this upward trajectory for granted. When the decline inevitably happens I hope our attendances don't drop off too dramatically.
Only the Sheff Weds match or perhaps the Wigan promotion game beat the Chelsea match for atmosphere. My hands were shaking at half time I’d got so worked up! The worst/best booing since Hyppia got it against Millwall. Much more than Zaha gets.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Spot on apart from I disagree about Villa Park and the Holte End - been there 3 times and bang average every time. I'm sure it's noisy on big occassions. Elland Rd is the only ground that is consistently very noisy currently I think (certainly wasn't like it is now when they were languishing in the Championship/Lge 1, though

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Spot on apart from I disagree about Villa Park and the Holte End - been there 3 times and bang average every time. I'm sure it's noisy on big occassions. Elland Rd is the only ground that is consistently very noisy currently I think (certainly wasn't like it is now when they were languishing in the Championship/Lge 1, though
I didn't think Elland Road was that loud when we played there a few weeks ago. Not that it was silent or bad by any means, just a bit underwhelming.
Agree about Villa Park, (albeit I've only been the once) can't remember any significant noise until they got their winner in the last few minutes.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Completely agree with all this. I think the Amex gets a bad rap when I too think it compares favourably to other grounds we have visited in the Premier League. I'd also agree that Elland Road and Villa Park are the two loudest grounds at the moment. It will be interesting to visit the Emirates this year as the atmosphere does appear to have picked up this season.

The one thing I will say about the Amex, is that the acoustics can be a bit weird so where you sit can impact your impression. From the WSU you can hear everyone and it sounds great when we get going. Yet I have watched a game from the South Stand and not been able to hear the North Stand and vice versa.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
It’s recency bias - as in, the 2 most recent seasons in the Championship were generally great atmospheres due to how well we were doing and the excitement of impending promotion.

But there were many games in that division in the years before that where it was pretty quiet.

As others have said, I think this season has generally, understandably, been better than any season in the PL so far.
There is an element of recency bias that’s for sure however worth reviewing some of the fantastic historical YouTube videos of matches at the Goldstone with c10k people and the noise from the Northstand was either disproportionately loud back then for the number of people or were disproportionately pants with 28k Albion fans at the Amex.

Supporters in general don’t celebrate goals as much as they used to - plenty of vids of MacAllisters penalty Saturday show how things are so much more reserved generally. Equalising at 3-3 in the 94th minute? We used to go mental at such situations before. Now it’s almost expected.

It’s a football wide issue with few exceptions. Maybe football’s place in people’s lives doesn’t mean as much as it used to? I don’t know.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It's the same as it has always been. Fantastic atmosphere for really big games and a lot quieter for less exciting games. Basically the same as every other club (bar a few oddities).

People seem to think that because we're in the Premier League that it should be rocking all the time, but that's never been the case.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I only started going in the Hyypia era but yes generally louder in the Championship seasons (where we were winning most games and chasing promotion).

For whatever reason no chant has taken off quite as loudly as Knockaerts at its peak.
Bissouma's surely? Only two words to remember.

Vaughan Storm

May 21, 2020
Worthing
Supporters in general don’t celebrate goals as much as they used to - plenty of vids of MacAllisters penalty Saturday show how things are so much more reserved generally. Equalising at 3-3 in the 94th minute? We used to go mental at such situations before. Now it’s almost expected

It’s a football wide issue with few exceptions. Maybe football’s place in people’s lives doesn’t mean as much as it used to? I don’t know.
This, never before the pandemic did people have little excitement for penalties for example, everyone's sitting down for it like it's nothing major and the atmosphere against Grimsby was embarrassing, you'd expect the place to be buzzing and noisy but instead it sounded closer to a carabao cup game

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A part of it, as has been mentioned on here before, is we are a reactive crowd, and simply in the last couple of seasons in the Championship we won loads, which in turn kick-started our atmosphere. That hasn't really happened in the PL until really very recently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here