Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it just me or did we sing a lot more and a lot louder when we were in the Championship?

Did we sing more when we were in the Championship?

• Yes

Votes: 27 32.9%
  • No you're imagining it

Votes: 51 62.2%
  • Sing when we're losing.....we only sang when we were losing

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

greachain

Mar 19, 2023
I'm not even talking about when we moved to the Amex - even in the Amex I remember a lot more songs and a lot more volume before we were promoted. Or is my memory selective?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I'm not even talking about when we moved to the Amex - even in the Amex I remember a lot more songs and a lot more volume before we were promoted. Or is my memory selective?
About the same in the North Stand as it has ever been.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I think there was a lot of excitement in most of the championship years as we were pushing toward the Prem for the first time ever, and we usually beat most teams on the way at The Amex, which helped foster good atmosphere.

Once we reached the promised land after that first season, we were a relegation challenged team and when you are mostly under the kosh it doesn't get the crowd going, after that we had Potter, who for all the pretty football, was an atmosphere killer imo. Personally I think the atmosphere has become much better this season and expect it to really start to take off now as every single game is going to be seriously important.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was very noisy in the final months of 2016/17, including in the NS concourse pre and post match. As we honed in on a 34 year dream. Incredible at times.

Since then … down a notch possibly … as many of us have simply relaxed into our new surroundings, job part done.

But still far better than Smellhurst and some other EPL stadia.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
I only started going in the Hyypia era but yes generally louder in the Championship seasons (where we were winning most games and chasing promotion).

For whatever reason no chant has taken off quite as loudly as Knockaerts at its peak.

greachain

Mar 19, 2023
Such fantastic replies and comments there. Thank you. The years of history condensing is all happening again at Wembley perhaps, 40 years this time?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Sounds like you’ve got a pair of rose tinted glasses.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Same as it ever was for the most part bar towards the end of promotion chasing seasons which for obvious reasons notched up further.
Always been pretty decent on the whole - could be better, could be far worse, certainly not the morgue some on here would have you believe - better than many grounds, not as good as a few.

as an aside, the oft repeated rhetoric that atmosphere is better in the lower leagues is such a myth - no better/no worse than the PL for the most part imo

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is it my imagination or didn't newbies take their time a bit more, to get the hang of NSC and that, before starting fatuous threads?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It’s recency bias - as in, the 2 most recent seasons in the Championship were generally great atmospheres due to how well we were doing and the excitement of impending promotion.

But there were many games in that division in the years before that where it was pretty quiet.

As others have said, I think this season has generally, understandably, been better than any season in the PL so far.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
f*** the singing and the noise, the football is so far ahead of anything I have ever seen from the Albion, I am unable to moan about a thing.
Is another right answer.

Other right answers are available.

This thread reminds me of one of my first posted threads, as a naïve ingénue, where I mooted that women's football wasn't 'all that'...and got directed towards the sea with an instruction on how best to get in it..

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I feel we did, though I think it's down to moving stands.

Plus we get a lot more day trippers now and just general Premier League fans rather than pure Brighton fans....... which I'm fine with. Hopefully some of the general fans will become fans or at least their kids will become fans.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"We're on our way" song adopted by all 4 stands in the promotion season more than any other song before or since.
Hats off to those opposition away supporters :bowdown:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Such fantastic replies and comments there. Thank you. The years of history condensing is all happening again at Wembley perhaps, 40 years this time?
Where were you before March 19, 2023?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think there was a lot of excitement in most of the championship years as we were pushing toward the Prem for the first time ever, and we usually beat most teams on the way at The Amex, which helped foster good atmosphere.

Once we reached the promised land after that first season, we were a relegation challenged team and when you are mostly under the kosh it doesn't get the crowd going, after that we had Potter, who for all the pretty football, was an atmosphere killer imo. Personally I think the atmosphere has become much better this season and expect it to really start to take off now as every single game is going to be seriously important.
Atmosphere was great those first few months of Potter, then Covid hit and we missed best part of a season and a half. Those start of and final home games of last season were brilliant too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here