Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Gus our Wenger or Ferguson?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If a London prem side come calling he will be gone like a shot in the summer...West Ham is still my bet.
So? I couldn't blame him if he did.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Your prejudice against Gus is astounding. You come across as a bitter, negative person.

Gus, as far as I can see, has not been touting himself for jobs, and has taken us from the bottom third of league 1 to serious challengers for a play-off spot in the championship, yet in your eyes, EVERYTHING he does is wrong.

Even the win against palace was met by comments through gritted teeth by you.
Absolutely. kevtherev and others seem to take more pleasure when their doomsaying predictions come true than when the club are doing well. I guess some people would rather be second bottom in Division Three.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
bomb scare at elstree studios so eviction night isn't until tomorrow at 9pm on C4

Agreed when he chooses to be positive with team selection. The best Albion performances I've ever seen are the result. More of that please and we will get promoted this year or next

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I wish he would be but alas I fear those two old relics from a bygone age of loyalty have well and truly broken the mould and will never been matched gain, nowhere near, IMHO.

screamadelica

Jan 28, 2013
I think this little episode has proved, the only way Poyet will be manager here next season, is if we go up and only then if Chelsea don't come in for him. If a London prem side come calling he will be gone like a shot in the summer...West Ham is still my bet.

Westham are on a very slippery slope once they sell there ground and become tenants,not a good club for any manager to go to.The Hammers years as a top flight club are numbered

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He's our Alan Mullery* of this decade. Once he goes, it will never be quite the same again for him or us, even if he came back.

* although Mullery didn't pimp himself for available jobs the way Poyet appears to have.

I don't agree that he pimps himself for jobs.

he makes no secret of the fact that he wants to manage at the top level, and who can blame him for that.

But as for Woves, reading and whoever next, it is they who come looking for him, because he is good and he has a very good reputation. if pimping yourself equates to doing things right and gaining a great deal of respect in the game from people whose opinions count, then maybe he is guilty as charged, but isn't it just the price we have to pay for Tony Bloom having chosen well in the first place.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'm not deluding myself that Gus won't be off at the first realistic chance he gets to better himself. When that happens I'll wish him well and look back on these times with massive affection ... perhaps it will always be our golden era. All I ask is that the timing is a bit better than it would have been for the Reading job.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
If he could come this close to joining bloody Reading then you can be fairly sure he'll be off as soon as an established Premier League team come calling.

Was he close then?

He had a chat with Reading in the departure lounge and went on his business. He may have turned then down flat there and then. You don't know, you only have 'reports' in the press of what happened and that has proved to be gubbins anyway.

Sake. He's staying. Be happy eh.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I'm not deluding myself that Gus won't be off at the first realistic chance he gets to better himself. When that happens I'll wish him well and look back on these times with massive affection ... perhaps it will always be our golden era. All I ask is that the timing is a bit better than it would have been for the Reading job.

Its got a long way to go yet before it can be called ' our golden era ' and match up with Clough and Taylor ( the biggest managerial partnership in the country ) Mike Bamber, Alan Mullery, Peter Ward ( most exciting player to ever wear a BHA shirt ) Mark Lawrenson ( best player to ever wear a BHA shirt ) Brian Horton, Jimmy Case. An upward climb. Two promotions. Newcastle away. Four seasons in the top flight. An FAC final. etc.
Don't get me wrong, I've loved the last three seasons but its still work in progress. The era I'm talking about has gone down in legend and is the benchmark for all that follows.
When we are in the Premiership, knocking over big clubs, playing to 30,000 regularly...then and only then will I consider this era to have matched or surpassed that mid 70's to mid 80's rollercoaster period.
( ps...love to slot Ward, Lawrenson, Horton and Case straight into our current team....wow!.)

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Its got a long way to go yet before it can be called ' our golden era ' and match up with Clough and Taylor ( the biggest managerial partnership in the country ) Mike Bamber, Alan Mullery, Peter Ward ( most exciting player to ever wear a BHA shirt ) Mark Lawrenson ( best player to ever wear a BHA shirt ) Brian Horton, Jimmy Case. An upward climb. Two promotions. Newcastle away. Four seasons in the top flight. An FAC final. etc.
Don't get me wrong, I've loved the last three seasons but its still work in progress. The era I'm talking about has gone down in legend and is the benchmark for all that follows.
When we are in the Premiership, knocking over big clubs, playing to 30,000 regularly...then and only then will I consider this era to have matched or surpassed that mid 70's to mid 80's rollercoaster period.
( ps...love to slot Ward, Lawrenson, Horton and Case straight into our current team....wow!.)

Fair point. Of course those times were the most successful for the club and maybe we'll never play at that level again - who knows.

But for me this has been something special. The move to a continental football style, and the flair players we're attracting; Gus Poyet conducting it all; the re-awakening of our fan base; and on top of all this a stadium that goes far, far beyond what we dreamt of in the Goldstone years. I was at primary school when the Albion were in Div 1 and I do remember the buzz that everyone in Sussex felt. But that buzz has been back in recent times, even without us playing in the top flight.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
He'll be off to the Premier League in the summer - if it had of been any team that didn't look like being relegated that had come in for him this week he would have been out that door like a shot

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Would love it if someone said to me now that Gus will be here for the next 10 or so years. But we all know that isn't going to happen. He has been branded with the 'young, exciting manager' stamp who play 'exciting football.' He has done well with us, has links with the big clubs (Chelsea, Spurs) and most clubs seem to want him.

Get us promoted Gus, you go to Chelsea, we take Di Matteo - Everyone is a winner.

screamadelica

Jan 28, 2013
If Gus has any sense which i think he has he will stay with us for the 5 years. learn his trade then move on to bigger and better things

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
If Gus has any sense which i think he has he will stay with us for the 5 years. learn his trade then move on to bigger and better things

Eight years with one club ... not a CV detail that is as positive as you might think. People with burning ambition tend to grab promotion/better jobs as soon as possible. Stay too long in one place and you can become typecast, stale and too comfortable for your own good. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions but there's no way we'll have Gus as manager for another five years.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Only the Poyet kiss arses think that, which granted is quite a few...I stand by what I say, he will never take us up from this division....For the record, I hope i'm very wrong. We are where we are in the league dispite Poyet, not because of him. I think the team selection and result Sunday proves that. Let's hope he sticks with the match winners and I will be a very happy man..Promise.

You should go and support someone else serious.. Why are you so negative about Gus?

Tell me this - If a company approached you with a job would you at least want to hear what they gotta say even if you had no intention of taking it... Wake up and stop being so f*cking negative all the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here