Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Graham Potter overrated as a Premier League manager?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
His stock was very high before this latest dip in form. Being talked about for Spurs job if Conte left, or the United job in the summer. Not so much now.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think he may have been a bit overrated when we were on a good run earlier in the season and is currently a little underrated while we are on a poor one. Who would have thought it :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
IMHO:

Overall across the 3 seasons, on a par with the budget handed to him.

Positives - bringing on young players, a confident passing game.
Negatives - the tactics are exposed against savvy counter-attacking teams, who set out to rope-a-dope. Also, 6 transfer windows and we still lack pace/power amongst our forwards .... but is that fault of the transfer committee?

Would he be a success on a bigger budget at say Leicester, Newcastle or Villa? I think he would.

Last edited:

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I think he's a very good manager doing the best he can with the resources at his disposal.

During all the media hype about being the next Man Utd or Spurs manager, he called it in terms of the fine margins in the Premier League. He said how it wasn't so long ago that people were questioning him over a poor run of form and at least hinted that he was realistic about the same happening again. That's where we are now of course.

All that said, Tony must be leaning on him a bit about the dismal home form in front of our own 'customers'.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I'm eagerly anticipating his replacement. I'm not sure who it will be, but hopefully it will be someone with a bit of desire to actually win some games!

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
He probably has been overrated, particularly when we have been on good runs. I am sure he would admit that himself.
He needs more time and experience I think and he will be one of the better managers.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Overhyped for sure in that there's been so much 'noise' about him, a lot of which has come from our club and our supporters

Is he a modern, technical coach who is very good at setting up a team to build with a strong defence and a high volume of posession? Yes.

Has he shown himself good at getting a side to score goals and win football matches? No.

Could he with better attackers? Maybe.

So it's hard to say with any certainty, but as for whether he's overrated by the wider football community, maybe a little bit.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What really is overrated is the power people think a manager/coach has and truly a testimony to how ****ed up the world is. No wonder that CEOs earn 759 times (in the UK but probably similar in most countries) more than the average worker if people truly believe that the CEO is 759 more important than those actually carrying out the hard work.

If your mum (whoever you are and regardless if she is dead or alive) took over as the coach of Manchester City they'd still jog into a top 4 position with the players they have, and if your mum was sacked from Watford and replaced by Pep Guardiola they'd still be miles off a top 10 position.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good article by 4-4-2 standards. Definitely covers some themes from here.

What I've been saying for what feels like forever:

"Now they are 13th and could conceivably be 15th by the time they face Southampton on 24 April. Which, as they have finished 15th and 16th in two previous campaigns under Potter, scarcely screams progress."

And what I've repeatedly mentioned along with many, many others this season:

"But he is far better at drawing games than winning them. Potter could secure a rare hat-trick by sharing the points the most times in three successive seasons but his Premier League win percentage stands at just 23.5."

But, to be fair, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] 's "return to the mean":

"There are several factors worth considering. Losing a mere four in 24 felt artificially good; perhaps it was inevitable some setbacks would follow."

And some of Swanny and Icy's positives:

"Potter’s prowess is apparent in other respects. He improves players. Brighton banked £50 million for Ben White in part due to his coaching. Without it, perhaps Dan Burn would not have been priced at £13 million."

"There is a case for arguing that results are an inevitable consequence of the process and much Potter does is evidently admirable"

All of this together is why the Potter threads on here are so divisive. As a results-first fan who wants to see us perform and score in home games I do believe he is vastly overrated. But you could equally take the last two quotes above and make a case for him moving on to a better club when he eventually leaves.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I think he's been solid at Brighton, and rightly won a lot of admirers for the way he handles himself, how he brings on young players, and how our passing game can be exquisite at times.

I'm sure he'll be the first to admit that he hasn't achieved anything in the game yet, however. (A top 10 finish with Brighton would definitely count, in my opinion.)

If he decides to move on, or if our terrible run continues and that decision is made for him, I'm hoping that his time here will be a stepping stone for the club, and for him. That's about as sentimental as I get about these things I'm afraid.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Would Klopp or Pep get this Brighton team playing better - probably, but not much better. Think GP is doing a good job with the players he has, we can all see what he is trying to do, the problem comes when it doesn't work.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Over rated by some and under rated by others.

He is in a comfort zone at Brighton where staying up is the goal and that has never been unlikely to happen, but that is also an achievement

I would still have Howe above Potter as best English manager

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What really is overrated is the power people think a manager/coach has and truly a testimony to how ****ed up the world is. No wonder that CEOs earn 759 times (in the UK but probably similar in most countries) more than the average worker if people truly believe that the CEO is 759 more important than those actually carrying out the hard work.

If your mum (whoever you are and regardless if she is dead or alive) took over as the coach of Manchester City they'd still jog into a top 4 position with the players they have, and if your mum was sacked from Watford and replaced by Pep Guardiola they'd still be miles off a top 10 position.

Might as well not bother with a coach at all eh, just let them pick the team among themselves and run around a bit like we all used to down the park after school?

Sorry, this is a spurious argument Swanny. Pep takes very good, very expensive players and improves them a whole lot, just as GP takes slightly less good and far less expensive players and does his best with them. But no one is pretending that anyone's dear old mum will help Man City win a game against a Klopp led Liverpool in a one off game.

The same poor argument has been made on the F1 thread more than once. "Lewis Hamilton only wins because he had the faster car". No. Lewis spent the vast majority of his career making that car the best.

In any case, no one on here is suggesting we should be the next Liverpool or Man City. Just that we shouldn't lose 3-0 at home to Burnley.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
IMHO:

Overall across the 3 seasons, on a par with the budget handed to him.

Positives - bringing on young players, a confident passing game.
Negatives - the tactics are exposed against savvy counter-attacking teams, who set out to rope-a-dope. Also, 6 transfer windows and we still lack pace/power amongst our forwards .... but is that fault of the transfer committee?

Would he be a success on a bigger budget at say Leicester, Newcastle or Villa? I think he would.

Quite. He’s definitely not the Messiah, but nor is he a Naughty Boy.
A work in progress.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don’t think he’s over rated but I think he may have reached his ceiling here :shrug:

I will not be surprised if he is not our manager come next season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here