Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Corbyn May's very own Falklands Conflict?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
You’re reading far too much into it. Cameron was presumably answering a question on this because he’ll be meeting the Argentinian President at the G20 in Brazil, who recently called for the Falklands to be handed over to Argentina. TBH I think there is no groundswell of general election emotion about the Falklands. Starmer and Labour aren’t stupid enough to demand a renegotiation over the islands' ownership. It was big news 42 years ago when I was a student, but no one cares today.
I guess that’s my problem. It should not be in the news. No change in policy from either party. Look at what else is going on in the world. How on earth have the BBC got a story on it?

For me, that’s where Isaac Levido (or his ilk) are earning the £100,000s the Tories are paying him.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
If we give the Falklands back then surely Spain will demand the return of Gibraltar?

It’s very close to our place in Spain, and many times, including when I visited the Rock I’ve been told a Spanish reclamation is a non starter because of the amount of listening stations and other military operations the US have going on in the territory, due to our ’close relationship’ with the States.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I guess that’s my problem. It should not be in the news. No change in policy from either party. Look at what else is going on in the world. How on earth have the BBC got a story on it?

For me, that’s where Isaac Levido (or his ilk) are earning the £100,000s the Tories are paying him.
It’s in the news because the new Argentina president wants it back and Cameron is meeting him soon. It’s such a wild punt that Labour would change tack when there is absolutely no interest in it from the vast majority of the country. If it’s in the news because it’s been planted by the tories then they really are up the creek without a paddle.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023

But this wasn’t a special press conference to announce something. He was simply asked a question based on the fact that he's due to meet the Argentinian President, who has recently been stirring things up again. Cameron seems to have been in the news a lot recently regarding Trump/NATO, and Gaza.

I'm not claiming that politicians don’t pull stunts. Both Rishi and Sir Kier have been to Kyiv to meet Zelensky for instance, for no obvious reason other than PR. I just don’t think this one is, that’s all. Or certainly not one that’s worth bothering about. The Falklands won’t get any electoral juices flowing.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If we give the Falklands back then surely Spain will demand the return of Gibraltar?

It’s very close to our place in Spain, and many times, including when I visited the Rock I’ve been told a Spanish reclamation is a non starter because of the amount of listening stations and other military operations the US have going on in the territory, due to our ’close relationship’ with the States.
Perhaps the story here is what Trump thinks about the Falklands question? Are there Latino votes available if he supports the Argentina government’s position?

This was Biden’s position when he was your age:

As the Reagan administration moved the United States firmly into the British corner during the war, there was genuine bipartisan support. It was then-Sen. Joe Biden who introduced a Senate resolution supporting the British position. As Biden explained: “The Argentinians must be disabused of the notion … that the United States is truly neutral in this matter.” https://foreignpolicy.com/2023/02/26/the-united-states-has-never-recovered-from-the-falklands-war/#:~:text=While%20it%20never%20directly%20involved,to%20Britain's%20eventual%20military%20victory.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

The UK can't "give it back " to Argentina, because the Falklands were never owned by Argentina. They were, very briefly, owned by Spain.

I suppose the issue is that some people still believe that the Falklanders (and Gibraltarians) should be able to determine their own future. If it were to be accepted that they don't have that right, then it would be much easier for the big countries to push them around.

Same goes for Taiwan and China. Accept that a small nation does not have the right to self-determination or democracy, and the problem goes away.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

There is no way the Falklands will be given to Argentina. Their PM may be a loose cannon, but I'm not sure he would even try to push it too much other than holding up chainsaws and stuff. Spain and Gibralter is a comical political episode given that across the water they own two enclaves in Morocco.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I'm in Argentina at the moment and 'Las Malvinas todos Argentina' signs are everywhere. British military leaders in 1982 said the Argentines were fighting for the land and we were fighting for the people. Since the end of the war almost every country in the world (with the exception of the usual suspects) backs the islanders right to self determination. I have been provoked only once on the subject since Ive been here and that was on a small tour in Mendoza, I just kept sshhhtum keeping my thoughts to myself. The Falklands will remain British.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

and Morocco will demand the return of Cueta and Melilla from Spain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here