Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Is calling someone "incompetent" on a public forum like this grounds for a lawsuit?

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Sounds absurd.

If it is, may I suggest moving to a more lenient country, like Afganistan or Iran.

Or Indonesia. Not a good idea to criticise anything or anyone on social media. One woman who did this on Facebook about a hospital was prosecuted and spent a brief time in prison.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Let's give it a go - you are incompetent...........

Re: Notice to Cease and Desist for Specific Activity

Dear Beach Hut,

This letter is served upon due to libelous activity.

If you do not cease the aforementioned Activity a lawsuit will be commenced against you.
If the Activity continues we will immediately seek a temporary restraining order in the District Court against you and any accomplices in this matter. Amongst many virtues, Herr Tubthumper could certainly run a Cinderella panto, so we will also seek monetary damages to be proved at trial. Hopefully this recourse is not necessary, we have our own interests to protect and will vigorously do so.

You will not receive another warning letter.

Sincerely,

Herr Tubthumper.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Re: Notice to Cease and Desist for Specific Activity

Dear Beach Hut,

This letter is served upon due to libelous activity.

If you do not cease the aforementioned Activity a lawsuit will be commenced against you.
If the Activity continues we will immediately seek a temporary restraining order in the District Court against you and any accomplices in this matter. Amongst many virtues, Herr Tubthumper could certainly run a Cinderella panto, so we will also seek monetary damages to be proved at trial. Hopefully this recourse is not necessary, we have our own interests to protect and will vigorously do so.

You will not receive another warning letter.

Sincerely,

Herr Tubthumper.

[MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION] - think you can ignore this, has no validity in the UK after Brexit :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
[MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION] - think you can ignore this, has no validity in the UK after Brexit :lolol:

FFS you are joking, I have just contacted my Nigerian lawyer and given him my bank account details to sort this out :angry::annoyed::shootself:rant:

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A theatre forum similar to here. :shrug:

What's their favourite flavour of Angel Delight?

"Chicago is always terrible when in residency, but it's amazing when it goes on tour."

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I know this thread has gone off on a bit of a tangent (a first for NSC), but the OP does raise an interesting question regards defamation of character.

We have had a recent experience of this whereby blatatant lies have been insinuated about my wife and I on Facebook.

I don't have this person as a "friend" on Facebook, but others do, and see the lies. What recourse do I have, as someone non famous and without money!?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Dissing Cinderella? Sounds like she should just slipper away quietly and pretend it never happened.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If “in my opinion” was added does this play easier than suggesting it’s a fact?

In my opinion you’re a f*cking tw@t.

Nope, see, it doesn’t work.

Unless you are? But I’m sure you’re not.

But now the question is out there, everyone will be asking whether Paulie is a f*cking tw@t.

Introduce the concept, but without accusation.

For example, "Nobody could accuse Andrew Lloyd Webber of incompetence, but questions need to be asked about..."

Job done. He's incompetent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

How are they coping with electronic tickets?

I booked some London theatre tickets recently, the confirmation email says they will TEXT you the tickets approximately 5 hours before the performance!

Can you imagine the meltdown this would cause at the Amex (and on here) if everyone was moaning that they hadn't had their text yet and it was 11am on a Saturday?

Not sure if this is an anti-touting process, but would make it very tricky to sell on tickets as you have nothing to sell or even prove you have something to sell until just before.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Dissing Cinderella? Sounds like she should just slipper away quietly and pretend it never happened.

But she's just an attention seeking tart.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Whilst I'm not a great fan of ALW you have to admit that he has had massively successful shows over a long period of time. He is entitled to get one wrong surely? If it wasn't putting bums on seats what's the point in keeping it running? Hardly one of lifes incompetents is he?

The show is still going ahead on Broadway I understand. I presume those associated with the show who have been putting the boot into ALW won't be getting the Broadway gig.

However, threatening legal action against the probably not wealthy and not famous cast member (who will probably never get to work in a big show again after that outburst) does make him look like a complete arse.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
This falls somewhere between "libel" and "deformation of character" which are both torts not crimes so must be proven by "on the balance of probability" rather than crime which is "beyond reasonable doubt"

The plaintiff must prove "damages" to succeed - it's hugely grey and removing the post is the best outcome ...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I booked some London theatre tickets recently, the confirmation email says they will TEXT you the tickets approximately 5 hours before the performance!

Can you imagine the meltdown this would cause at the Amex (and on here) if everyone was moaning that they hadn't had their text yet and it was 11am on a Saturday?

Not sure if this is an anti-touting process, but would make it very tricky to sell on tickets as you have nothing to sell or even prove you have something to sell until just before.

Been to a few London shows since they reopened, and this process works well, no problems at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here