Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is anyone else embarrassed by the booing of the German national anthem

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
[SUB][/SUB]

:lolol::lolol::lolol: 'England fans?'

The same poster who suggested I'd asked about a racist song yesterday I see!

Sounds like you're not English - so how come you support the albion?

I'd like to respond to your first two comments but I don't understand what you are trying to say. Oh and I support the Albion because I have been going to see them since 1976...is that alright?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Imagine being lucky enough to go to one of the best England performances in living memory where we tore apart a very good Dutch team and that being your takeaway. It's like going to the Wigan game and grumbling about the pitch invasion.

i remember turning the box on at half time or there about and we were 4-0 up..( i think) bloody unreal...!!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
At least the English national anthem is only played at international sporting fixtures whereas the US national anthem is played before every bloody sporting fixture including those at high schools. It used to wind me up having to sit through this at every New York Red Bulls football game I went to, it's completely over the top

They take their national anthem very seriously, you're asked to remove your caps and they all stand there with their hand on their heart. In fact one guy was ejected from Yankee stadium when he dared to go for a piss during "God Bless America" - funny old world

https://gothamist.com/news/nypd-defends-ejecting-sox-fan-from-yankee-stadium-during-god-bless-america

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Stand by it to, even if most on here think it’s just banter and panto :shrug:

I am in no way embarrassed to be English, other than when fans boo National Anthems or resort to bullying and hooliganism

When you go away you can tell the ones who are not really interested in football, they seem to invite trouble. Just stay away from them and alls fine. The booing I've never really understood along with the anti Irish and German songs. Wouldn't join in with them out of principle but it will carry on regardless. Others do it when we visit so it's not an entirely English thing

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
At least the English national anthem is only played at international sporting fixtures whereas the US national anthem is played before every bloody sporting fixture including those at high schools. It used to wind me up having to sit through this at every New York Red Bulls football game I went to, it's completely over the top

They take their national anthem very seriously, you're asked to remove your caps and they all stand there with their hand on their heart. In fact one guy was ejected from Yankee stadium when he dared to go for a piss during "God Bless America" - funny old world

https://gothamist.com/news/nypd-defends-ejecting-sox-fan-from-yankee-stadium-during-god-bless-america
Yep .... Definitely deserves a good old fashioned booing at the boxing !!! [emoji16] Nothing better than winding up the yanks.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
This sounds like another one of your tall tales.

Be honest, you've added the bits about children, snarling and bemused away fans (as if they'd never heard it before :facepalm:) for effect. Assuming you were in the crowd you could've only possibly witnessed the handful of people in your immediate vicinity.

I wasn't at that game but know people who were and their account was that it was very good natured with the Dutch fans.

So you use your conversations with a number of people who say they recall that nothing very much happened in the crowd at a match a quarter of a century ago as evidence that I am lying.

Nothing to stop you doing that of course - all I can say is that I describe it as it was. Nothing added, a fair bit subtracted. I was as close as it gets to the Dutch supporters and the cacophony was coming from behind me - I recall worrying that the Dutch, many of whom were naturally looking towards and beyond me, might have thought that I was one of the neanderthals.

It was probably no big thing but I don't like the insulting of people because of the nationality of their parents so I decided not to repeat the experience. Sorry I mentioned it.

Out of interest, how do your sources recall the atmosphere at the following match?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Welcome back Lincoln. I would have no problem with Palace fans having a beer and dancing in the streets if they beat us. It’s football. It’s the reason we all love it. It’s all about enjoyment. Forget your angst and join in (not with the Palace fans though).

Thank you. I would have no problem either. (My self-consolation at a dismal defeat is always to tell myself that at least it's made some people happy.) Anyway, I've had plenty of moments of my own.

The rights and wrongs of joyful celebration wasn't my point though.

I'd prattle on but I've got to fit a couple of just-delivered dampers to the hatch on a Skoda Fabia. Darned things came from Berlin I notice.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not read many roe lies as can imagine usuals being melts .

Loved the booing . It’s all pantomime and showed some passion

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
So don't England fans read the news? The IRA declared a ceasefire 27 years ago, and dumped arms 16 years ago. No point in surrendering to them now is there? Oh and the last time the RAF of Ingerland shot down a German bomber was 76 years ago...

I haven't read this thread, just this last page, as it keeps floating to the top of the board, (for the record I think booing national anthems is pathetic and boorish but not a hanging offence), but aren't most national anthems/songs about historic events? Often ancient historic events? The American national anthem for example is about something that happened in 1812!

EDIT: Originally I said 'all' national anthems, but as the Spanish one for example hasn't any words the rule can't apply!

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So don't England fans read the news? The IRA declared a ceasefire 27 years ago, and dumped arms 16 years ago. No point in surrendering to them now is there? Oh and the last time the RAF of Ingerland shot down a German bomber was 76 years ago...
Sadly all these morons have is a past. I presume that those that booed the German national anthem booed England players for " Taking a Knee " before kick off too?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

The crabs (RAF) are not just England it’s the UK. As was recently on the news, the most successful fighter squadron during the Battle of Britain was Polish …

I find some of the songs amusing and I know for fact that some of my German friends do as well. They are retired fighter pilots or navigators who are particularly fond of making goggles with their fingers and ‘singing’ the music from Battle of Britain.

I had call from one this morning who simply said “ you may have won the football but you will not have our deckchairs” and then hung up. This is the chap who at a meeting in Munich put a towel in the colours of the German flag on my chair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here