Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is anyone else embarrassed by the booing of the German national anthem

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think it may also be an age related thing, I remember when people stood for the National Anthem at the end of films in the cinema, i have absolutely no idea why they saw fit to play it after a film though :shrug:

Good luck trying that today :smile:

Times do indeed change, even if people of older generations don’t, it was always thus, no?

The anthem used to be played at the end of dances at the Regent, and on BBC at the end of transmission for the day. It was phased out in the early 60s.
Many people used to dash out a couple of minutes early so they didn’t have to stand, especially if it meant missing the last bus home.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I don't buy the "panto" argument. The panto bit is booing the players being named (as has happened often at the Amex for certain teams), because they are the nominated "baddies". But the entire nation is not a "baddy" in any sense, so booing the anthem is just ridiculous.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Its a bit of a silly thing to do. Something you'd expect in I dunno... Albania or somewhere else where they were isolated for a few generations and are yet to be accustomed to the world.

Big deal though? No.

If I were you I'd be more annoyed with how quiet it was until you scored the goal.

Yes, Albania or …….. Wales.

Oh, and a little dig about our victory last night. I bet those Super Welsh fans were singing in the valleys as Denmark scored their 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th goals.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Be prepared to be underwhelmed when you come to the Amex, as most games are just like that.

Well its alright. English football is known to be pretty quiet these days so I come with low expectations. Was mighty impressed by the City game though, even singing when 0-2 down.

But yeah when I go it will be mainly to see the city, then to see the team and third for the football cultural experience, so I'm sure I'll be happy regardless of what it sounds like.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
when will the guilt and self loathing end.......i have heard that the fans booed because the german ditty was played before the dirge......simple as that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes, Albania or …….. Wales.

Oh, and a little dig about our victory last night. I bet those Super Welsh fans were singing in the valleys as Denmark scored their 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th goals.

Errr... you do know I'm not Welsh?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
The entire nation isn't at the game, just football fans.

From the reactions on this thread, it sounds as if national anthems shouldn't be played at football at all anymore. What's the point?
Also I can remember watching games with mates from.other countries down the pub and booing each others anthems and having a great laugh about it.

People need to lighten the hell up these days

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I don't buy the "panto" argument. The panto bit is booing the players being named (as has happened often at the Amex for certain teams), because they are the nominated "baddies". But the entire nation is not a "baddy" in any sense, so booing the anthem is just ridiculous.

The fans booed the National Anthem of Leichenstein when it was played once. If you've never heard it, its a familiar tune.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Indeed.

And my comment about Thin Lizzy and Bachman Turner Overdrive was meant to imply that the German anthem sounds quite rousing whereas ours is a dirge. I actually fell asleep during Bachman Turner Overdrive, owing to the monotony.

Anyway. Cracking night. :thumbsup:

Yeah it was HWT.

Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy is great, though.

“Tonight there’s going to be a jailbreak, somewhere in this town”

Erm, the jail, maybe?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Also I can remember watching games with mates from.other countries down the pub and booing each others anthems and having a great laugh about it.

People need to lighten the hell up these days

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Exactly! I know a few German lads and they'd be pissing themselves laughing, then return the favour.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Go out of their way? :lolol:

It came into my living room last night. I didn’t have to look for it or find it. It’s childish and boorish.
Upset? No. Surprised? No.

It's gone on for years and is just not the English by the way. Most away games the away fans always try to drown out the home teams entrance music. Couldn't sit in silence listening too ' glad all over '

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah it was HWT.

Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy is great, though.

“Tonight there’s going to be a jailbreak, somewhere in this town”

Erm, the jail, maybe?

:lolol:

Have we had a thread on ludicrous lyrics? That one is an absolute classic.

Lynott was magical, but some of his lyrics are absurd. I bough a book of his poetry in the 70s. Probably worth a few quid these days.

He was also poor at remembering his own lyrics. On one of the first two Lizzy ambums he clearly forgets some of the lyrics to a song during the actual recording :facepalm:

Here, around when I saw them:

PL.PNG

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

I've stayed out of this thread as I stay out of most like it. But this post nails it for me. People don't choose their nationality. Twenty five years ago I was at Wembley for the Netherlands 4-1 game - glorious victory but the sight of thousands of England fans - including dads geeing on their small children - booing the Dutch anthem and snarling at the bemused away fans was depressing and I told myself I would stick to the Albion in future. I have never been to another England match.

As far as last night was concerned there was plenty of complete and utter tin pottery from England fans. We muted the tv when the anthem booing started and I disappeared into the kitchen before GSTQ struck up.

Was it classy? I am just trying to imagine what our reaction would be if Palace fans danced ecstatically in the streets of old Thornton Heath after beating us, getting drunk and singing into the night before buying the Croydon Bugle next day to read 16-page reports on the historic and fabulous victory whilst giving incoherent interviews to BBC London. We might possibly accuse them of being needy little victims bereft of class.

And we'd be right.

(Brilliant game though.)

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I've stayed out of this thread as I stay out of most like it. But this post nails it for me. People don't choose their nationality. Twenty five years ago I was at Wembley for the Netherlands 4-1 game - glorious victory but the sight of thousands of England fans - including dads geeing on their small children - booing the Dutch anthem and snarling at the bemused away fans was depressing and I told myself I would stick to the Albion in future. I have never been to another England match.

As far as last night was concerned there was plenty of complete and utter tin pottery from England fans. We muted the tv when the anthem booing started and I disappeared into the kitchen before GSTQ struck up.

Was it classy? I am just trying to imagine what our reaction would be if Palace fans danced ecstatically in the streets of old Thornton Heath after beating us, getting drunk and singing into the night before buying the Croydon Bugle next day to read 16-page reports on the historic and fabulous victory whilst giving incoherent interviews to BBC London. We might possibly accuse them of being needy little victims bereft of class.

And we'd be right.

(Brilliant game though.)

:lolol: NURSE...!!

D

Deleted member 2719

Near enough the whole set of right wing nationalists on this thread, just need [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] to add his own brand of intellectual comment and that’ll be a full house.

Okay so you pull me into this, thanks.

Yes, you're right in saying I have a brand and I may think more laterally than the medial thinkers on here.
But your assumption is wrong, perhaps your being sucked into a vortex from looney lefties that push there agendas to death on here???

I disagree with the booing of any national anthems as it is disrespectful, but it's not to say we shouldn't rip into them and compete like intelligent wild dogs.

To say I am a nationalist is also exaggerated.

Let's put it this way, Britain is my wife, I am loyal and will back her/them to the hilt, all other countries are tarts trying to distract me to make me play away, its never going happen.
The day I show more affection to a tart/country, my loyalties have shifted and the only solution would be to move out with tart or move country.
I see many on here who show bigger loyalties to the tarts/countries.
So all those that love countries more than Britain should leave, as you wasting everyone's time at somewhere you have no loyalty or compassion about.

So perhaps they should be packing their suitcases? And don't forget the tart and a flag.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Twenty five years ago I was at Wembley for the Netherlands 4-1 game - glorious victory but the sight of thousands of England fans - including dads geeing on their small children - booing the Dutch anthem and snarling at the bemused away fans was depressing and I told myself I would stick to the Albion in future. I have never been to another England match.

This sounds like another one of your tall tales.

Be honest, you've added the bits about children, snarling and bemused away fans (as if they'd never heard it before :facepalm:) for effect. Assuming you were in the crowd you could've only possibly witnessed the handful of people in your immediate vicinity.

I wasn't at that game but know people who were and their account was that it was very good natured with the Dutch fans.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's gone on for years and is just not the English by the way. Most away games the away fans always try to drown out the home teams entrance music. Couldn't sit in silence listening too ' glad all over '

As pointed out, songs and jeers at a league or domestic cup match is not the same as an international match.

I'm out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here