Is a 2nd referendum a genuine possibility?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Is David Cameron a genius, and will we need a second referendum?

From the Guardian's comments section

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over -Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

From the look of Boris on the news, tonight, things aren't going to plan

Interesting.

BJ does need to take ownership and responsibility of Brexit asap. It would be wrong to drag out the PM leadership for the next 3 or 4 months when he is clearly the only one who is best suited for the job at this time. He is the one who will have to decide how to proceed and if it is even possible because our laws and regulations are so intertwined.

Now is the time for BJ to put his money where his mouth is instead of going on holiday for the Parliament summer recess.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Capture.JPG

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
quote: " At least the people who voted leave and realised the complete and utter stupidity" and there we have it a stupid comment about over 51% of the people that are perceived as stupid........you've got to laugh.

17m people just didn't know what they were voting for. We were all just ignorant bigots in the end, now we are seeing our mistake.

If only I had educated myself more on the EU, maybe I wouldn't have been so terrified of the direction it's taking us.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
17m people just didn't know what they were voting for. We were all just ignorant bigots in the end, now we are seeing our mistake.

If only I had educated myself more on the EU, maybe I wouldn't have been so terrified of the direction it's taking us.

I can't argue with that:whistle:

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
If so that is some good trolling!

http://bit.ly/28SZ6jo

Well here is a true story. In the 70's I sought and obtained the same sort of identity that was portrayed in a book written by Frederick Forsyth. It was easy. Today with technology it's even easier isn't it! If I wanted to troll like that it would be easy. Even the government use internet 'bots' but then an oldie shouldn't be lecturing the kids on tech should they!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Well here is a true story. In the 70's I sought and obtained the same sort of identity that was portrayed in a book written by Frederick Forsyth. It was easy. Today with technology it's even easier isn't it! If I wanted to troll like that it would be easy. Even the government use internet 'bots' but then an oldie shouldn't be lecturing the kids on tech should they!

Why on earth would you steal a dead child's identity? We're you an international hit man?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Did you vote twice? How many people voted twice? This is an outrage!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Indeed, with all this doomsaying and such credible positions of argument doing the rounds, I have seen the light. The sky is falling and it's all my fault.

Why didn't I listen? I just wanted all those immigrants out. :shrug:

Now you've learnt the error of your ways maybe we'll have a second referendum,just for you to set the record straight

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No even though I am completely depressed about the result I have to accept my side lost. It would be good to see some of those on here who supported the Leave side show a bit of humility and acknowledge how divided the UK is.
I can do that for you. The side I voted for won, but I don't feel that we've won much. If we don't get a good trade deal, it's going to be crap for an awful lot of people here. Everyone just made their best guess on what would be the best for our country's future, but no one knew what that future would be either way. We all have to demand the strongest leader now to fight for the best deal for the UK (both trade and travel).

Would it also be possible for (all) those who supported the remain side to show some respect for democracy?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Was it not Nigel Farage himself, and UKIP, back in May who said, if remain win only by a few points it wouldn't be the end of it, there would have to be another vote. Just saying, that's what he said...

he did. and what did you say back to him?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
True. I know that had Remain won, those who wanted out would have carried on and on...yet we are meant to shut up and just " suck it up".
No doubt some would have gone on about the immigration problem and what we're going to do about it (as it will always be an issue, regardless of what union we're in), but only the most stupid would have been asking for another referendum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports