Is a 2nd referendum a genuine possibility?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No, but Nigel and his soul brothers have used immigration emotions to put the country in a position where poverty, cutbacks and unemployment overwhelm all of us but especially the poorest. Almost anything legal goes as far as I'm concerned and if MPs forced an election and stood together as a grand 'stop the negotiations' alliance they would have my vote. If enough people voted for them they would have democratic legitimacy too.

so to be clear, 66.1% turnout has more legitimacy for you than 72.2%? funny idea of democracy.

pretty childish some of the view coming out about demanding a recount, change the rules after etc, every one who wants this would be appulled if Leave lost and their supporters said the same. what we need to do now, is rather than assume the fear of cutbacks and unemployment is pre-ordained, is push on and make sure it doesnt happen. dont spend the next decade blaming every ill in the country on Brexit.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
No, but Nigel and his soul brothers have used immigration emotions to put the country in a position where poverty, cutbacks and unemployment overwhelm all of us but especially the poorest. Almost anything legal goes as far as I'm concerned and if MPs forced an election and stood together as a grand 'stop the negotiations' alliance they would have my vote. If enough people voted for them they would have democratic legitimacy too.

would that be 52% enough?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This is just silly.

Would Cameron 'do a Farage' and un-resign ? ???

:lolol:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
This is what is wrong with modern ways of life-sorry but in life there are winners and losers and both will experience the opposite-deal with it remain I would had your vote stood..

Not everybody wins......you will be asking for play off changes next :whistle:

Nigel Farridge wouldn't have, though.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Is David Cameron a genius, and will we need a second referendum?

From the Guardian's comments section

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over -Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

From the look of Boris on the news, tonight, things aren't going to plan

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
losers.jpg

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Is David Cameron a genius, and will we need a second referendum?

From the Guardian's comments section

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over -Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

From the look of Boris on the news, tonight, things aren't going to plan

OK, if that plays out Violence is coming somewhere near to you soon. It wont be short and it wont be pretty. Political posturing and spin is what brought the leave vote victory (people are fed up with it) and if you usurp that Victory it will mean civil war. Yes violent war. I am not threatening just stating what I think will happen.

Last edited:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Nigel Farridge wouldn't have, though.

No and would have carried on - personally I like a lot about him and some policies they do however remain for now just too far for me to switch from Conservative to UKIP..

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
OK, if that plays out Violence is coming somewhere near to you soon. It wont be short and it wont be pretty. Political posturing and spin is what brought the leave vote victory and if you usurp that Victory it will mean civil war. Yes violent war. I am not threatening just stating what I think will happen.

Ok,mate

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Tell me where you think it's wrong, Boris has looked shot to bits since 'he' won, not like a man basking in a massive, and unexpected victory?

Let's be honest...he's hardly Brad Pitt. I feel his speech was delivered with the subdued dignity of someone realising the difficult yet rewarding tasks ahead.

Aaaah...DIGNITY. If only all runners-up could adopt such an approach like many do in sport.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Let's be honest...he's hardly Brad Pitt. I feel his speech was delivered with the subdued dignity of someone realising the difficult yet rewarding tasks ahead.

Aaaah...DIGNITY. If only all runners-up could adopt such an approach like many do in sport.

Or a man who woke up and thought" SHIT!!!!WHAT HAVE I DONE"
You do realise more than 48% of the country will never forgive him?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Screenshot from 2016-06-25 20:24:15.png

Two and a quarter million now, and counting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports