Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Irritating Lyrics

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Mentioned this on the Oasis thread.

It's funny that Liam has turned out to be a better lyricist than his brother. Who'd have thought it...

We might not ever know as he writes with other songwriters. I would love it if the lyrics in his albums were all his though.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
We might not ever know as he writes with other songwriters. I would love it if the lyrics in his albums were all his though.
That's very true.

But with the subject matter in most of the tunes on As You Were, it definitely sounds like he's had plenty of input.

As it's basically a tirade against Noel, ex birds and "listen right, I know I've been a **** but I'm actually a decent geezer, know what I mean".

Plus he definitely wrote Bold before collaboration with anyone else.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I'm one of the few people who admits that they still love the album that is your user name.

Even Noel slags it off (Liam doesn't). I think it's great.

Noel’s a prick, either he’s had some mid life crisis where he’s tried to forget his past, or he’s been brainwashed by his wife, who even says she doesn’t like Oasis and slags off Liam, calling him a tribute act.

I think the album has some great parts, it has some of my favourite Oasis tunes on, but it’s too long in places. Still better than most of the stuff you hear these days.

I might just play it today!

Last edited:

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
That's very true.

But with the subject matter in most of the tunes on As You Were, it definitely sounds like he's had plenty of input.

As it's basically a tirade against Noel, ex birds and "listen right, I know I've been a **** but I'm actually a decent geezer, know what I mean".

Plus he definitely wrote Bold before collaboration with anyone else.

I love it that he’s matured as a songwriter and has left most of Noel’s new stuff in his wake. How the tables have turned.

I read that Noel said that every time he sees Liam’s face he wants to shoot up a McDonald’s. Jealous much! If he’s that annoyed, why doesn’t he just go and talk to him in person? Weird.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Noel’s a prick, either he’s had some mid life crisis where he’s tried to forget his past, or he’s been brainwashed by his wife, who even says she doesn’t like Oasis and slags off Liam, calling him a tribute act.

I think the album has some great parts, it has some of my favourite Oasis tunes on, but it’s too long in places. Still better than most of the stuff you hear these days.

I might just play it today!
Absolute tune.....

https://youtu.be/jyJU2136ym4

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I love it that he’s matured as a songwriter and has left most of Noel’s new stuff in his wake. How the tables have turned.

I read that Noel said that every time he sees Liam’s face he wants to shoot up a McDonald’s. Jealous much! If he’s that annoyed, why doesn’t he just go and talk to him in person? Weird.
Yeah I find Noel very amusing but he's doing a good job of proving that he's actually the dickhead in this situation.

Which is a monumental effort seeing what everyone has always thought about Liam.

I watched that documentary "As It Was" or whatever it was called, about Liam, and I do genuinely think that Noel was the catalyst for splitting up the band. And that Liam was gutted.

I don't want them to reform though. I prefer what both of them are doing separately to anything after Be Here Now. It would just be a money making mess.

As you were. Lol.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
And I apologise for turning this thread into an Oasis binfest. Especially when I already created an Oasis thread.

I'm quite obviously a dickhead. "A sane genius dickhead. But. Nonetheless certainly, if not definitely dickheaded. Probably, and certainly terrifically utilising millions, if not billions, of dicks on heads, next question..."

And I'm looking at you BeHereNow...... It's OUR fault

[emoji23]

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I'm one of the few people who admits that they still love the album that is your user name.

Even Noel slags it off (Liam doesn't). I think it's great.

It is a great album, massively under rated, I listen to it a lot. Liam still plays tunes from it in his solo set. He has said it’s his favourite Oasis album though I think that is partly to disagree with Noel!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Won the award for "Worst Lyrics Ever" when Mark and Lard (think it was them) had a vote/competition about it years ago on Radio 1.

She was a great sport and appeared on the show to accept it. Said she wrote it in about 10 minutes and never thought it'd be a hit.

I have a love/hate relationship with that tune as I actually think it's quite good, despite the appalling rhyming.

And she's got a great voice.

Mark and Lard were great, used to love their show, don’t remember that though.

They were right, the lyrics are beyond dreadul. Agree with you that it’s not a bad tune though and she did do some other decent stuff.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
"We have reached a full stop
Nothing's gonna save us from the big drop " Depeche Mode , leave in silence.
I've been a High Court Judge for over 30 years. This song came out in 1982 and capital punishment had not been part of justice long since.

Non/interesting true fact:
There was a time when you could've been executed for " being in the company of Gypsies for one month." Harsh but fair methinks.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Mark and Lard were great, used to love their show, don’t remember that though.

They were right, the lyrics are beyond dreadul. Agree with you that it’s not a bad tune though and she did do some other decent stuff.
Mark and Lard were absolutely brilliant. Best show I've ever heard on the radio. E.g. from their final show...

https://youtu.be/D4iEPU3uVDg

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
"We have reached a full stop
Nothing's gonna save us from the big drop " Depeche Mode , leave in silence.
I've been a High Court Judge for over 30 years. This song came out in 1982 and capital punishment had not been part of justice long since.

Non/interesting true fact:
There was a time when you could've been executed for " being in the company of Gypsies for one month." Harsh but fair methinks.

Did that apply to gypsies being in the company of gypsies? Or just non gypsies who may have been gypsified?

Asking for a gypsy.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
“People think I’m insane because I am frowning all the time” : Black Sabbath , Paranoid .
I have worked in psychiatry for over 30 years , and frowning is not a part of any of our diagnostic criteria.
Anything that annoys anyone else ?

Coldplay.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
From the same album, and, don't get me wrong, War Pigs is one my favourite songs. However:

Generals gather in their masses,
Just like witches at black masses.

has always irked me because of the repeated rhyming word. Alright, enough of the Geezer Butler bashing.

The original lyrics were;

“Witches gathered at black masses
Bodies burning in red ashes”

The song was about Walpurgis , But then they decided to change it into an anti war song.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
The original lyrics were;

“Witches gathered at black masses
Bodies burning in red ashes”

The song was about Walpurgis , But then they decided to change it into an anti war song.

That's a less annoying lyric. I mean, when do you ever get massed generals? There's only a handful at most in any given martial event.
Still, I'm glad they changed it to an anti-war number:

Politicians hide themselves away
They only started the war
Why should they go out to fight?
They leave that role for the poor, yeah

Not much more to say really, is there?

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Yeah I find Noel very amusing but he's doing a good job of proving that he's actually the dickhead in this situation.

Which is a monumental effort seeing what everyone has always thought about Liam.

I watched that documentary "As It Was" or whatever it was called, about Liam, and I do genuinely think that Noel was the catalyst for splitting up the band. And that Liam was gutted.

I don't want them to reform though. I prefer what both of them are doing separately to anything after Be Here Now. It would just be a money making mess.

As you were. Lol.

I like quite a few of their later stuff, some of it is lot more like The Beatles (which is ironic, because people said they sounded like them in the 90’s, but they didn’t) can never beat the early years though. I think their last album did better than a few of their previous albums and it was less poppy. Looking back, the best songs off there are probably The Shock of the Lightning and Liam’s I’m Outta Time. It was actually the first Oasis album I bought and got me into them. Saw them at Wembley in 2009 and nearly shook Liam’s hand.

I would like to see them back together, but only if both of them really wanted to and actually liked each other. It could be great and bring the country together and maybe even spark a rock revival.

I better stop now, I could go on for hours :D

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
It is a great album, massively under rated, I listen to it a lot. Liam still plays tunes from it in his solo set. He has said it’s his favourite Oasis album though I think that is partly to disagree with Noel!

D’You Know What I Mean?
My Big Mouth
Stand By Me
Don’t Go Away
Be Here Now
All Around The World
It’s Gettin’ Better (Man!!)

and the b sides:
(I Got) The Fever
My Sister Lover

are class.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports