[Help] Irritating Excel conundrum

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
How does the ROUND in a formula differ from using the decimal place up or down function?
Asking as an excel user at a rudimentary level
Changing the decimal places using the buttons doesn't actually change the value, it just changes how it appears. So if the cell is referenced in another formula, the original non-rounded value is used.

Whereas the ROUND function actually modifies the value.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I use LibreOffice Calc but it is very similar to Office.
In the 'sum' box where you're adding up figures for takings in £'s, open up Format Cells. Mine is set to
Category - Currency
Format - -£1234.00
Decimal places - 2
Leading zeroes - 1

It's the Format or Decimal Places that may be at fault.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
As it’s nearly Christmas an’ all.....

1B804090-116C-4216-B770-E06C507DEE43.jpeg

Chaps and chapesses. The winning entries to this thread are those that alluded to the "Round" function, in particular Mr., Mrs. or Ms. "Lets Have A Winner" who has helped me out via a rare post. Thanks to all of you who took the trouble to post your suggestions, I now have a spreadsheet that looks correct and with numbers that agree with me adding them up on a calculator!

The worrying thought is that I would probably have spent far less time knocking up a table in Word and doing the calculations manually :)

Let's Have A Winner!

Apr 23, 2006
Burgess Hill
Chaps and chapesses. The winning entries to this thread are those that alluded to the "Round" function, in particular Mr., Mrs. or Ms. "Lets Have A Winner" who has helped me out via a rare post. Thanks to all of you who took the trouble to post your suggestions, I now have a spreadsheet that looks correct and with numbers that agree with me adding them up on a calculator!

The worrying thought is that I would probably have spent far less time knocking up a table in Word and doing the calculations manually :)

It's Mr and you're very welcome sir! I am on Excel pretty much all day every day at work so know a lot of the quirks and tricks to get round them (no pun intended :rolleyes:)...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports