Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipod help

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
Just bought a new laptop and want to transfer my ipod library onto it but cant work it out. My ipod is only allowed to be synced with my old laptop and this no longer turns on.

Can anyone help with suggesting a programme that allows me to put all the music on the ipod onto either itunes or into another file on the laptop.

i have done a few searches and downloaded a few things but they only offer 10 tracks trials and with over 6000 songs to transfer id be there till im fifty

any help is great

cheers

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I too would like to know how to do this. Money not that much of an object as I would happily pay not to re-burn 400-odd albums onto a new hard drive.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I need some help - can somebody find my iPod touch? Its in the house somewhere but when I left for work this morning I couldnt find it anywhere.

Thanks

BillPotter

Nov 2, 2011
You may be able to rescue all of your files from the broken laptop using a hard drive dock (I cant post links on here but go to maplins and type "laptop hard drive to usb").
Just remove the hard drive from the old laptop, they are normally pretty accessable it's will just be a few screws on the bottom of the laptop.
Pop it in the dock and plug the doc into the new laptop via usb.

You can then grab all your music and anything else you may need, plus if the hard drive is still sound you have some additional storage.

Good luck

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You may be able to rescue all of your files from the broken laptop using a hard drive dock (I cant post links on here but go to maplins and type "laptop hard drive to usb").
Just remove the hard drive from the old laptop, they are normally pretty accessable it's will just be a few screws on the bottom of the laptop.
Pop it in the dock and plug the doc into the new laptop via usb.

You can then grab all your music and anything else you may need, plus if the hard drive is still sound you have some additional storage.

Good luck

Something like this: SATA USB Hard Drive Docking Station with HUB & CardReader : Hard Drive Docks : Maplin Electronics
?

or half the price on amazon NEWlink USB 2.0 Docking Station for SATA HDD: Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Flex Your Head

Just bought a new laptop and want to transfer my ipod library onto it but cant work it out. My ipod is only allowed to be synced with my old laptop and this no longer turns on.

Can anyone help with suggesting a programme that allows me to put all the music on the ipod onto either itunes or into another file on the laptop.

i have done a few searches and downloaded a few things but they only offer 10 tracks trials and with over 6000 songs to transfer id be there till im fifty

any help is great

cheers

My old PC suddenly died last year and I thought I'd have to copy all of my CDs to my partner's laptop (much to her mild annoyance). I looked on Youtube though and saw that there's a much quicker method and something you can do yourself without having to buy anything.
Basically, your Ipod is a hard drive but its files are hidden. You can 'show hidden files' via your settings and then drag all of your MP3s to a new folder on your desktop, and then in to your Itunes. It took me about an hour to transfer 3,600 songs.
I've lost the 10,000+ Windows Media Player songs for good though, I reckon.

Try searching for "transfer songs from Ipod to PC" or something similar in Youtube. Good luck.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Provided all the songs you had on your old laptop were ripped from cds you owned then there's nothing illegal in downloading them all from p2p servers or torrent sites.

I actually find downloading an album and transferring it to iPod is quicker and easier than ripping from CDs.

eMule used to be very good for getting whole albums although I haven't used it for years. Soulseek is always good though, particularly for odds and sods. Or the daddy of them all is to get yourself a Usenet account. You'll be downloading entire discographies in seconds.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Search iPodRip as a program.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Provided all the songs you had on your old laptop were ripped from cds you owned then there's nothing illegal in downloading them all from p2p servers or torrent sites.

Is that actually legally true? Would it hold up in court?

Genuinely curious.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
I need some help - can somebody find my iPod touch? Its in the house somewhere but when I left for work this morning I couldnt find it anywhere.

Thanks

You left it on the kitchen worktop, just next to your sandwiches.

Hope this helps.

And that bit about downloading stuff you own on CD from torrents. No, its not legal, although the record industry say they're not bothered in pursuing people who download stuff they already own.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Is that actually legally true? Would it hold up in court?

Genuinely curious.

Yes. You just have to make sure you don't then share the same files with the rest of the world. Provided you own the original copyrighted material, you can legally have as many copies as you like so long as you don't share them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here