Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 5

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've just taken delivery of a iPhone 4S after always using a Blackberry. Should I have waited a few weeks for the new one to come out.

Return it now and sit back for a few weeks.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I've been withn O2 for years, since I had my first iPhone in fact. I am currently using a 30 day plan in my unlocked 4S. Will be getting an iPhone 5 when it comes out - will any of these networks allow me to keep my number? Presumably GiffGaff will if it is o2 based? Isn't Tesco o2 based as well?

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Return it now and sit back for a few weeks.

This. You'll have a 14 day cooling off period. I'd send it back. The new one will be announced next week, likely release the week after. If you don't like the sound of it, or the price, then the 4S should be cheaper.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I've been withn O2 for years, since I had my first iPhone in fact. I am currently using a 30 day plan in my unlocked 4S. Will be getting an iPhone 5 when it comes out - will any of these networks allow me to keep my number? Presumably GiffGaff will if it is o2 based? Isn't Tesco o2 based as well?

Yeah you just need to call o2 and has for your PAC. They have to give it to you. You then use this to transfer your number to your new contract.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Yeah you just need to call o2 and has for your PAC. They have to give it to you. You then use this to transfer your number to your new contract.

Sweet - cheers!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Looks like it will be 'new iPhone' rather than 'iPhone 5'.

(NB - this woman is unlikely to have a job any more)

3dd1708ad5a4599c4bdefe2c3f1b38ee.jpg

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
No. GiffGaff only send out full-size SIM cards, iPhones take Micro SIMs. You can either buy a little tool to cut to size/shape or use scissors like I did.

(There has been some talk of an even smaller SIM for the iPhone 5, but I really can't see that personally.)

It has been confirmed that mobile phone shops are taking delivery of new nano sim cards this week. No phone currently use them. Read into this what you will but I would say all you people getting microsims from GiffGaff have made a BigGaff and wont be able to use them on the new iPhone

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
In related news details have leaked about the iPad mini which is basically the iPad 2 with a smaller screen but retaining the iPad 2 resolution and internals. I guess this will become the iPads last gen starter product like the 3GS was when the 4 came out and the 8gb 4 when the 4S came out. I would also expect the current bottom of the range iPhone 4s to hang around for another year as the iPhone that's given away with contracts. So even if you cant afford a new iPhone it is worth hanging on a few weeks to probably pick up a free iPhone 4 with a contract renewal

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
and in other news Nokia just announced an iPhone killer, in fact why isnt NSC closed in honour of its announcement?

Considering the recent facts re: profits, the idea of Nokia doing anything even vaguely of note at the moment is amusing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It has been confirmed that mobile phone shops are taking delivery of new nano sim cards this week. No phone currently use them. Read into this what you will but I would say all you people getting microsims from GiffGaff have made a BigGaff and wont be able to use them on the new iPhone

It's a curious one - I'm not sure how this is going to play out for the majority of folk who will walk into an Apple Store to buy a new iPhone to replace their 4/4s and be in possession of an existing Micro SIM they wish to use.

Could Apple give you some sort of generic Nano SIM that you then tell your network about and they port your account over to it? I don't know how this stuff works.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
It's a curious one - I'm not sure how this is going to play out for the majority of folk who will walk into an Apple Store to buy a new iPhone to replace their 4/4s and be in possession of an existing Micro SIM they wish to use.

Could Apple give you some sort of generic Nano SIM that you then tell your network about and they port your account over to it? I don't know how this stuff works.

I was chatting about the same thing today in our office. I doubt Manx Telecom on the Island will be in possession of nano sim cards from day one. It took them in the region of the month to get in micro-sim cards when they were first introduced for the ipad.

The nano sim cards look very small if the photo below is accurate. I imagine they will be fiddly to insert into the phone.

I have just read the page (where photo below originates from) and it says "From the BRG report, Apple is supplying nano-sim cards with specially suited adapters, which enables carrier partners to test and ensure the network runs smoothly on the new, smaller sim before committing to implementing a nano-SIM tray on devices."

nano-sim1.jpg

Apple-next-generation-iPhone-Reportedly-Confirmed-To-Use-Nano-SIM-Card1.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What is the POINT of making a simcard the size of a flea ? Its not like the existing simcards are CUMBERSOME is it ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

That just looks like you'd need to further cut down the excess plastic around the edge of a Micro SIM, which I'm OK with.

I was struggling to think how they could ensure backwards compatibility if they reduced the actual chip size, but it looks like they haven't.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
That just looks like you'd need to further cut down the excess plastic around the edge of a Micro SIM, which I'm OK with.

I was struggling to think how they could ensure backwards compatibility if they reduced the actual chip size, but it looks like they haven't.

Yeah looks like a steady hand and some trimming is the way forward. It is getting worryingly close to the chip though so risk of slipping when cutting and killing the sim card.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
What is the POINT of making a simcard the size of a flea ? Its not like the existing simcards are CUMBERSOME is it ?

I tihnk the first picture is not quite right. Apple claim that smaller sim cards allow for more space for better specd technology within the phone. I agree with your comments about not exactly cumbersome at present.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here