iPad query

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mrs Gwylan wants me to connect her parents' iPad to their TV so they can watch films on a bigger screen.

Do I take it that the only thing that I need is an HDMI cable or is there more to it than that?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Mrs Gwylan wants me to connect her parents' iPad to their TV so they can watch films on a bigger screen.

Do I take it that the only thing that I need is an HDMI cable or is there more to it than that?

You'll need a dongle, and HDMI cable.

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
To do it properley you'll want to get Apple TV £99...... It's brilliant you can watch stuff from iPad, iPhone, iTunes - all wirelessly. If you go the hdmi only route you will need an Apple dongle which is £35 and a long hdmi cable - quite expensive andimpractical. We got Apple Tv and watch stuff all the time - even SeagullPlayer...it's easy, plugnplay.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Apple TV is the best solution, but if you just want to display it on the telly, a dongle and HDMI will do fine. Just don't be suckered into getting an expensive cable, there's really no need with digital cables.

Edit: Also, if you haven't already got the VLC app, make sure you do, as it accepts a lot more file formats than the bundled video playing software.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thanks for the replies. I don't think they're up for getting an Apple TV - but I'll mention it to them

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
We got Apple Tv and watch stuff all the time - even SeagullPlayer...it's easy, plugnplay.

Seagulls Player is Flash based which isn't supported on the iPad. Are you using a special browser to run the Flash content? And then through Airplay or an HDMI cable/dongle combo?

How do you play Seagulls player on IPad 2 and stream it to Apple TV

On a slight tangent, I have an AppleTV and I'd love to know how to get Seagulls Player from my iMac to my TV. If anyone knows, I would be grateful.

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
You need to download the FL (football league) iPhone app...okay the picture quality is hardly HiDef but it does work.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
On a slight tangent, I have an AppleTV and I'd love to know how to get Seagulls Player from my iMac to my TV. If anyone knows, I would be grateful.

OSX 10.8 will boast "mirroring", so you'll be able to display whatever is on your iMac on your telly at the same time, via Apple TV. I'm not sure if there's any fudge or workaround that'd work now, though. If you've got an iPhone or iPad you could use the Football League app others have mentioned.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Thanks for the responses everyone.

The problem with the Football League App is that you have to pay extra for content from Seagulls Player which I already pay for through the Official Club Website.

Call me a tightarse if you like, but I don't particularly want to pay twice for the same content, just to be able to display it on a different device. Oh well, I'll wait for Mountain Lion.

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
Thanks for the replies. I don't think they're up for getting an Apple TV - but I'll mention it to them

It's not an actual TV !!!... It's a small black box (approx 4" square) with an hdmi output socket and power connection. I am a complete techno Luddite and it even worked first time for me ! If they can mange iTunes they can manage this and via AirPlay mirroring you can watch virtually anything that is on your iPad, on telly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports