Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ipad advice

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
ok i need to get the mrs one for xmas. im an android man and have a nexus 7 so dont really want to get into the whole apple vs android debate. consequently, i dont know much about them . is the ipad 4 out before xmas ? would it be worth getting one over an ipad 3 and is there much difference in spec? i dont think she will need much storage so was going to go for the 16gb . can get it for £400 from amazon (via nsc).

any advice would be welcome.... cheers

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Won't be another iPad this year I imagine, maybe something around March/April, but there has been 2 revisions this year already.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Get the 4 - no difference from the outside (other than the lightning connector), but significantly beefed up internals.

If she doesn't need the size of the iPad proper, consider a mini and save yourself some cash.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
I'm pretty impartial when it comes to android & apple, I own a Samsung galaxy s3 but I couldn't be without my ipad.
Also thats a good call from Bozza & could save you about 100 quid without really compromising on performance, you'd just really be trading off the retina display for more portability & the display is fine on the mini anyway so I hear

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Go for the 3 then mate it's a great bit of kit

Why - when the 4 is out?

If budget is a concern, go for the 2. If it's not, go for the 4 ("iPad with retina display"). The worst choice would be the 3 ("new iPad"). The 3 is not a bad device at all, and it was the right thing to buy 6 months ago, but it's not today.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Why - when the 4 is out?

If budget is a concern, go for the 2. If it's not, go for the 4 ("iPad with retina display"). The worst choice would be the 3 ("new iPad"). The 3 is not a bad device at all, and it was the right thing to buy 6 months ago, but it's not today.

But when the 4 is available the 3 will go down in price Shirley?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
The 4 is available and has been for a while, someone here has got one, to be honest you can hardly notice the difference between my 3 and his 4, apps load slightly fast but apart form that there is no difference.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

No, I think that is what Bozza is saying, the 4 came out 6 months after the 3 and so the price of the 3 didn't drop that much, so you don't make much of a saving in real terms. The iPad 2 is still available so the big saving is made going for that (if budget is tight), hence either go for the 4, or the 2.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Why - when the 4 is out?

Didn't even know there was a 4 tbh. I've only got the ipad 2 & can't justify getting a newer one for the sake of retina display & other such upgrades yet as my 2 is more than adequate for my needs.
Thought it went from the 3 to the mini but like I said I'm not an avid enthusiast/follower of any brand in particular, I just bought it because I liked it & still do

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
[MENTION=19187]tezz79[/MENTION] cheers mate . does £400 seem like a good price for one

Yeah I think that's about the going rate, that's the price on the apple store website & I'd assume they'd be the cheapest but don't take that as gospel.
Just a quick question for anybody in the know, I've got to get 2 ipad mini's for my kids for Xmas, would the apple store be cheapest ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Yeah I think that's about the going rate, that's the price on the apple store website & I'd assume they'd be the cheapest but don't take that as gospel.
Just a quick question for anybody in the know, I've got to get 2 ipad mini's for my kids for Xmas, would the apple store be cheapest ?

Yes, there is no difference to buy an iPad outright. Apple store is the cheapest.

D

Deleted member 18477

Why - when the 4 is out?

If budget is a concern, go for the 2. If it's not, go for the 4 ("iPad with retina display").The worst choice would be the 3 ("new iPad"). The 3 is not a bad device at all, and it was the right thing to buy 6 months ago, but it's not today.

why are apple so confusing? the ipad 3 has bloody retina display as well. i know its now been discontinued as the 4th gen ipad has come out with a better processor but why cant they just simply call it ipad 1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen & 4th gen. make it a lot easier for non 'apple lovers' to understand.

D

Deleted member 18477

No, I think that is what Bozza is saying, the 4 came out 6 months after the 3 and so the price of the 3 didn't drop that much, so you don't make much of a saving in real terms. The iPad 2 is still available so the big saving is made going for that (if budget is tight), hence either go for the 4, or the 2.

ipad 3 (aka the new ipad) has been discontinued. the ipad 2 will be the cheaper model along with ipad mini. ipad 4 (with retina display) is the new big one. your choice is either the ipad 2, ipad mini or ipad with retina display (ipad 4).

you may be able to pick up an ipad 3 somewhere like ebay i suppose but apple wont sell it cheaper like they do with the ipad 2, as that has not been discontinued.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here