Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Internet question.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not wanting to come over all Ben’s Grandad RIP, but is it possible to get two separate internet providers into a single residential apartment?

The idea is we have a main one, plus a back up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
you'd need another line. as a landline that will come through same route as first, not much of a backup. better idea is to go with a mobile as secondary.
Thanks. When you say mobile as secondary you mean something like a iPhone hotspot?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is this U.K. or Germany ?

In the UK it is becoming easier with some good level of diversity if you took 1 service from a BT openreach service provider & another from someone on cityfibre or similar

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is this U.K. or Germany ?

In the UK it is becoming easier with some good level of diversity if you took 1 service from a BT openreach service provider & another from someone on cityfibre or similar
Germany

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Thanks. When you say mobile as secondary you mean something like a iPhone hotspot?
A 5G router + a data only SIM will let you connect home wifi via a mobile network rather than wired broadband. (It does work like iPhone hotspot, but with a dedicated router rather than your phone acting as one)
Something like this https://ee.co.uk/broadband/5g-home-broadband
(This is not an endorsement of EE, just an example)

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
You would want a router, which can support two connections and set preferences. So prefer a broadband connection over a 5G Sim for example and only use the 5G SIM when the primary link is unavailable.

It is possible to have two broadband providers as well. This assumes that you have at least one provider in the area who has installed fibre. This would be the primary connection and then a DSL connection would be the backup. This avoids the double landline issue.

I have Virgin Media which is plenty fast enough, but am on the look out for a secondary connection. This will likely be 5G, rather than a second broadband provider. I have mesh WiFi in the house, so there is a router downstairs connected to Virgin Media and a router upstairs with a SIM slot. It routes out via the downstairs unit. You don't need two WiFi routers though to implement a failover route. Just a bit of techie knowledge to be able to configure it.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Not wanting to come over all Ben’s Grandad RIP, but is it possible to get two separate internet providers into a single residential apartment?

The idea is we have a main one, plus a back up.
Can you share why you want to do this?

In the world of IT it's all about "redundancy", basically the infrastructure is duplicated so that any one failure does not stop the service running.

Having 2 seperate data lines (eg Virgin & Openreach in the UK) would provide this (with secondary modem/routers too) but if your need is to maintain a service you will also need to consider a failover generator to maintain service should you lose mains power.

Full redundancy can get very expensive but businesses pay this as the cost is still cheaper than an outage.

All about cost vs options vs needs ...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can you share why you want to do this?

In the world of IT it's all about "redundancy", basically the infrastructure is duplicated so that any one failure does not stop the service running.

Having 2 seperate data lines (eg Virgin & Openreach in the UK) would provide this (with secondary modem/routers too) but if your need is to maintain a service you will also need to consider a failover generator to maintain service should you lose mains power.

Full redundancy can get very expensive but businesses pay this as the cost is still cheaper than an outage.

All about cost vs options vs needs ...
I'm working at home a lot now, and cannot really afford for the internet to go down. In short, and lay terms as I do not know much bout this, I have a regular domestic internet service but want back-up in case this goes down. I can use my phone hotspot for short disuptions, which I have done recently, but it got me thinking what if it went down for a long period.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Easy if you have a cable that will support more than one line. Did it myself about 8 years ago in a HMO(House of multiple Occupancy).

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I'm working at home a lot now, and cannot really afford for the internet to go down. In short, and lay terms as I do not know much bout this, I have a regular domestic internet service but want back-up in case this goes down. I can use my phone hotspot for short disuptions, which I have done recently, but it got me thinking what if it went down for a long period.

It would seem I’m fortunate enough to have BT Fibre and Virgin Media Fibre in my street which means we are able to have both, good luck HT and back up is always a good plan

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You would want a router, which can support two connections and set preferences. So prefer a broadband connection over a 5G Sim for example and only use the 5G SIM when the primary link is unavailable.
This would just introduce a different SPoF though.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany

Maybe you could look at a gigacube as a backup.. Its not overly cheap.. https://www.vodafone.de/privat/internet/gigacube.html?tariffId=2477&deviceId=55716

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here