Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Interesting piece on USG, Bloom and the methodology

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Very true, although I still don’t understand the economic incentives for all of this. So what if USG win the Belgian League ? Perhaps the end game is simply selling the transformed clubs on to even richer capitalists like the Saudis ? Anyhow, it sends me cold. Quite a contrast to the joy with which [MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION] writes about Southwick FC.

Not so sure there are economic incentives for many of these owners. They've got inordinate amounts of wealth, and owning a football club ranges from a plaything that can be an enjoyable way to spend surplus cash (Abrahamovich), or an exercise in sportswashing (Saudis, plus other petrostates).

On the sportswashing issue, up until a few months ago, I had maximum respect for Newcastle fans but, given their muted response to the atrocities committed by their new owners, they're right down in my current nadir. I know United fans are not widely respected and, in most cases, rightly so, but they launched a decent and sustained campaign against the Glazers.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
There are arguments for and against this business model.
There is no debate about how effectively USG/Bloom/Albion are implementing it. Hat tip to all involved.

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I think what he's saying is probably true, I get the impression Tony employs people who he can trust to run the clubs day to day in accordance with his methods. As such, he doesn't need to be particularly hands on or meddle for the most part & it's only the big decisions where he perhaps gets more involved. But the link between the two clubs is clearly strong and I'm sure the people who are running both clubs day to day are in regular communication.

Yeah. I suspect the reality with the loans to USG is more along the lines of us giving USG first option, and USG making an independent decision on whether to take that option. If they don't, we then look elsewhere to make a placement. Where the independence will get tested is if we come knocking on the door for Vanzeir.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Interesting article, thanks Bozza.

This struck me as a bit odd “We are so independent,” he said, before referring to Bloom: “Tony is the majority owner, but he is so uninvolved at Union. He doesn’t meddle. The club has the freedom to do it how we want to do it.”

That seems at odds with the players we have bought and then sent directly to Belgium.

It would be crap PR to state anything other than that USG are independent of BHA, even though Muzio is clearly TB's man and is committed to the same recruitment model sharing the same scouting data.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
"Midtjylland, the Danish champion, shares an owner — another gambling magnate, Matthew Benham, a former colleague of Bloom’s — and a philosophy with Brentford F.C., a data-driven organization newly promoted to the Premier League."

Colleague?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
"Midtjylland, the Danish champion, shares an owner — another gambling magnate, Matthew Benham, a former colleague of Bloom’s — and a philosophy with Brentford F.C., a data-driven organization newly promoted to the Premier League."

Colleague?

No issue with that. I refer to everyone in an organization, from the cleaners to the MD, as colleagues. It’s just polite.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
No issue with that. I refer to everyone in an organization, from the cleaners to the MD, as colleagues. It’s just polite.

Good for you.

In the context of Bloom setting up a company and an employee 'taking' his methods (and ending up in court over it), 'colleague' is emphatically not an appropriate word for a journalist to use in this instance.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I still can't get my head around owners being allowed to own clubs playing in the same federation.

What if both BHA and USG qualify to play in European competitions and then meet each other. What then?

Am I missing something?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Good for you.

In the context of Bloom setting up a company and an employee 'taking' his methods (and ending up in court over it), 'colleague' is emphatically not an appropriate word for a journalist to use in this instance.

I spent 30 years working in the City and believe me there aren’t any secret statistical methods. Everyone uses the same models and if eg Goldman does something new then it won’t be long before Morgan Stanley are doing the same. Also, I’m certainly not going to take sides in a business grudge on the basis that one of the parties owns the football club I support.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I still can't get my head around owners being allowed to own clubs playing in the same federation.

What if both BHA and USG qualify to play in European competitions and then meet each other. What then?

Am I missing something?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Am I missing something?

Probably wouldn't be an issue. UEFA were satisfied that RB Leipzig and RB Slazburg are run as separate entities despite both being owned by Red Bull. They have different chairman and different boards. They've even been drawn together in the same group of the Europa League.

The same would apply to USG and Brighton. USG have a different chairman and board. Tony Bloom is very much hands off.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I spent 30 years working in the City and believe me there aren’t any secret statistical methods. Everyone uses the same models and if eg Goldman does something new then it won’t be long before Morgan Stanley are doing the same. Also, I’m certainly not going to take sides in a business grudge on the basis that one of the parties owns the football club I support.

None of this changes the fact that 'colleague' is factually incorrect, and particularly inappropriate given the on-going acrimony between the two men.

It's a (tiny) bit like referring to "Oscar Pistorius and his former-partner Reeva Steenkamp" without mentioning why they're no longer together...

:shrug:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Probably wouldn't be an issue. UEFA were satisfied that RB Leipzig and RB Slazburg are run as separate entities despite both being owned by Red Bull. They have different chairman and different boards. They've even been drawn together in the same group of the Europa League.

The same would apply to USG and Brighton. USG have a different chairman and board. Tony Bloom is very much hands off.

Yeah, we can take 'em!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Decent article, that. I see Muzio is effectively the USG equivalent of Paul Barber?

A possible replacement for PB when the 'great' man moves on???

Not sure about the last few paragraphs, especially in the light of 'our' new Polish recruit's swift in and out to Belgium...

Amexarmadillo

Dec 22, 2021
Very true, although I still don’t understand the economic incentives for all of this. So what if USG win the Belgian League ? Perhaps the end game is simply selling the transformed clubs on to even richer capitalists like the Saudis ? Anyhow, it sends me cold. Quite a contrast to the joy with which [MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION] writes about Southwick FC.

Think we’ve already seen how we have used Belgian teams to get new overseas players the amount of points needed to play in England? Mitoma the current example. Having a top Belgian side is very useful from that perspective? I’d also imagine Champions League money is quite attractive.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Decent article, that. I see Muzio is effectively the USG equivalent of Paul Barber?

Not sure about the last few paragraphs, especially in the light of 'our' new Polish recruit's swift in and out to Belgium...

Yes - but Muzio had already been working with / for Bloom in other businesses

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Am I missing something?

Tony wins! :cheers:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Muzio is their chairman, and holds a minority shareholding, he is more their Tony Bloom because Tony isn't involved in the day to day running of USG. They've worked together before so he's clearly a very trusted lieutenant in Tony's empire.

Philippe Bormans is the CEO so he's their Paul Barber, he started the role about 5 months after Tony purchased the club.

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Interesting article, thanks Bozza.

This struck me as a bit odd “We are so independent,” he said, before referring to Bloom: “Tony is the majority owner, but he is so uninvolved at Union. He doesn’t meddle. The club has the freedom to do it how we want to do it.”

That seems at odds with the players we have bought and then sent directly to Belgium.

Yep, the club has the freedom to do it their way, it's just they are doing everything Tony tells them :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here