Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Interesting or Famous Ancestors

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My Dad's dived quite deeply into our family tree and come up with a connection to Bill Voce: former England fast bowler and partner-in-crime to Harold Larwood during the notorious Bodyline tour in the 1930s.

Was always less (in)famous than Larwood: probably no bad thing after the tour caused a rift in diplomatic relations between the UK and Australian governments :lol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My grandpa went to prison because he crushed all the windows on the US embassy in Sweden sometime during the Vietnam War and had fifteen minutes of fame as a "political prisoner". My grandma used to hide "left-wing extremists", such as Andreas Baader, in her apartment. She also reformed the Swedish prison care system (starting an organisation for prisoners rights) and ran a Swedish pirate radio station from Spain. Quite a busy woman, miss her a lot.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
apparently the first ancestors came over with William the Conqueror waving their swords and arrows and looking for some cheap property.

Hi, my great grand father x quite a lot, probably knew yours then, for the battle and stayed, this in turn probably makes you of Scandinavian decent before that then, when the Vikings settled in France.
my fellow northman.

maybe we should start a club, and take back what was ours.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm descended from the Captain/Owner of The Skylark, one of which is in the museum under the arches. Apparently Charles Dickens went on a pleasure trip onboard and may have written a page or two of Dombie and Son at sea.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Was it MAN AT C&A, or is Piltdown Man not your real name?

No the brand has had somewhat a chequered past. Worn by the famous but went through a horrible stage with a certain fraternity.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
One of mine ran the Kings Arms, Rye, 'entertained' prostitutes, lost licence due to short measures, ended up in Lewes nick, died in Hastings. Others ran pawn shops in Rye also done for wrong weights/measures, others for loitering in Bohemia and one for a cow straying, apart from that.......................

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
One of mine ran the Kings Arms, Rye, 'entertained' prostitutes, lost licence due to short measures, ended up in Lewes nick, died in Hastings. Others ran pawn shops in Rye also done for wrong weights/measures, others for loitering in Bohemia and one for a cow straying, apart from that.......................

I suggest you never buy a pub.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
My family tree from my little knowledge is pretty dull. My misses is related to Susan Surandon somehow.

An ex of mine had a family tree showing she was related to George Washington.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Have recently looked into the ancestry of both myself and the misses. Which has led my son to be a descendant of William 1st Battle of Hastings and all that before leading on to Simon De Montfort Battle of Lewes on both sides. Then straying from Sussex on the wife's side with her part of the line going to the American colonies before we met and I brought her back to Sussex. A neat circular journey through time. My side never left Sussex running various hostelries throughout the county ending with my grandparents. Sadly I have left the county at least for now but I continue the family tradition of following Brighton and Hove Albion. A footnote to this is that the wife and I had no clue that we came from the same family in the depths of time but were told many years ago by Doctors that the cause of my son's deafness was likely we were related in the past. Now we know, though 700 years back.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
What an awesome thread! An interesting direct descendant was a farmhand who worked with the same landed gentry army officer through various campaigns in India, South Africa, maybe Sudan too, and then WW1 in Belgium and France by which time they must have both already been well above the average age. After the war he was given employment and a house in the stables on the man's estate. Looks like he probably worked with him for 50+ years. His medals came up for sale a couple of years before we knew of his story unfortunately, but being quite a rare set for an individual to be awarded and with various campaign bars too I doubt we could have afforded them anyway.

For famous, I don't want to say who as he seemed like a very decent chap with a lovely family many of whom are still alive, but I'm as convinced as I can be a reasonably well known figure of the 60s and 70s is a close relative. He's been dead a while, but his family pop up occasionally and I don't think it'd be fair to contact them as some might just about remember his Mum and Dad possibly. The evidence is that a bit of a cad in the 20s who moved in high society had a handful of children with different women and was probably a bigamist too. We've got good reason to believe he was "dating" one my family at one point, and we also know he was involved with this other chap's family before he was born...quite circumstantial evidence but there's a lot of it that's mounted up with a bit of digging...and also an uncanny likeness between some of my family and some of the famous bloke's family. Mini-Exile saw a photo of the celebrity in the 60s not knowing any of our suspicion and just assumed it was an uncle. There's other hints maybe he was the cad's son too. Even not saying who it was, it still feels a bit weird insinuating his Dad might not have been who he thought it was!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here