Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Interesting insight into transfer deadline day

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
He will get an absolute roasting from Uwe now.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Someone used a good analogy that a transfer is a bit like buying a house - agreeing the sale is the easy bit, then you have surveys and searches, negotiating over the results of those, any stuff to be left, mortgage arrangements an finance confirmed, exchange of contracts and completion. You've then got potentially a chain either side of that contract, each of which can break the chain.

If we use this decent analogy, then I think the Sheff Utd video is a great case study, and it's actually the football clubs - not the agents - that comes across as the fools / problem.

If I turned up at an estate agents and said I wanted to buy a house, but I only had 24 hours to make the purchase, should I be surprised if....
a) the deal doesn't happen in time
b) somebody in the chain smells my desperation and increases the price

I understand that sometimes you can be stuck in a chain, and there's little you can do, but too many clubs clearly don't finalise their business early enough. Manchester United this summer did nothing on transfer deadline day. That to me seems a sensible strategy.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Thank you, I've now found it.
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?355803-Paul-Watson&highlight=watson

Personally, if that is his account, I think there is some sour grapes in it.

I'm not saying it isn't true, but not very professional.

His account is still live via
https://twitter.com/p_watson02/
but he's deleted that shambles tweet.

He also referenced signings earlier in the window via:
https://twitter.com/p_watson02/status/893930280897171458

Unbelievably unprofessional. Imagine if the head physio at Millwall or Arsenal or Rotherham or any other club posted that same tweet...

Not surprised it's been deleted.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't think that it's too much of a secret that someone has an axe to grind - there was even a scurrilous rumour posted on NSC that may well have since been deleted - I can't be bothered to check.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
If we use this decent analogy, then I think the Sheff Utd video is a great case study, and it's actually the football clubs - not the agents - that comes across as the fools / problem.

If I turned up at an estate agents and said I wanted to buy a house, but I only had 24 hours to make the purchase, should I be surprised if....
b) somebody in the chain smells my desperation and increases the price.

But if you are the seller (in this analogy Sinclair), and the estate agent says "we had a deal agreed, then I bumped up my fee and it then fell through" how would you feel? It seems the agent has screwed two clients just to line his own pockets. If he had stuck to his original fee then both of his clients would be at Sheff Utd and he would have still made some cash.

It appears their agent also has Oxlade-Chamberlain on his books, so I doubt he didn't do too badly from that particular deal.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I've no love for agents in the game - basically leeches.

But the clubs don't do themselves any favours, and put the agents in strong positions to capitalise and make lots of money.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It's on another thread somewhere, and I can't find it now. I also think he's since protected his account.

But in short he said that he'd been told by Albion insiders that our transfer window had been a shambles.

Really, wow!

I wasn't at all happy we didn't get a striker but to say it was a shambles seems a bit harsh at this stage. If we'd got Andone or Jansson over the line then I think it would have been a great window.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Agents in any guise are usually talentless. I'm sure we can all agree on that.

You're not wrong there ,just look at estate agents,hate filled slow coaches,playing on the fears and weaknesses of their victims.yet to meet one who's head I didn't want to kick in.
Scum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003

b) somebody in the chain smells my desperation and increases the price

I understand that sometimes you can be stuck in a chain, and there's little you can do, but too many clubs clearly don't finalise their business early enough. Manchester United this summer did nothing on transfer deadline day. That to me seems a sensible strategy.
...or you turned up at the estate agent and offered 50% of the asking price.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here