Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Interesting article by Tony Bloom on the club website

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I don’t think for one second that Hughton was ever asked directly to include younger players. However, given the investment in the academy and our development squad, it seems fairly clear that Bloom had expectations of a youth pathway that simply wasn’t being met.

We might not have set the world on fire this season but we’ve gathered more points, conceded fewer goals and had more possession while reducing the average age of the starting lineup. This all ties into Bloom’s longer term planning for the club.

He’s a remarkable guy and we are so fortunate to have him minding the shop.

Given the money that Bloom has invested in the academy, the appointment of Dan Ashworth (a man most widely known for his work at senior AND JUNIOR levels at the FA), and comments made by Barber during the course of last season about Tony ultimately expecting to see some return from his investments in the academy, it is crystal clear how important youth development is to the club. So for Chris Hughton to come out after the Liverpool game (on January 12 2019 when he had brought Beram Kayal on as a sub and left Max Sanders on the bench) and say "It's about the squad and trusting. Arguably in a two in midfield we were always going to put Beram on first, but it's great experience for him" (In effect - "I don't trust the younger players") was tantamount to handing in his resignation, as far as I am concerend.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Given the money that Bloom has invested in the academy, the appointment of Dan Ashworth (a man most widely known for his work at senior AND JUNIOR levels at the FA), and comments made by Barber during the course of last season about Tony ultimately expecting to see some return from his investments in the academy, it is crystal clear how important youth development is to the club. So for Chris Hughton to come out after the Liverpool game (on January 12 2019 when he had brought Beram Kayal on as a sub and left Max Sanders on the bench) and say "It's about the squad and trusting. Arguably in a two in midfield we were always going to put Beram on first, but it's great experience for him" (In effect - "I don't trust the younger players") was tantamount to handing in his resignation, as far as I am concerend.

Cant turn into the Ajax of England with that attitude. GP will make it happen.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
“I've thoroughly enjoyed the way we have approached every game this season, regardless of the result”

I couldn’t agree with this any more.

Couldn't you? I still could.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
‘As an expression of our gratitude to the NHS, we have ring-fenced 1,000 tickets for NHS staff and their families for future matches at the Amex and we’re all looking forward to the day when we can welcome them, and all our supporters, back to the stadium.‘

I’m sorry, but I laughed at the use of ring-fenced :lol:

Last edited:

Yoda

English & European
I just read it that Potter played the young players because they were good enough, not because he was asked to play young players for the sake of it, or some notion of having to bring young players through.

It is odd how people will read things differently. I read that as CH was just reluctant to give them a chance when TB has said all along he would rather have players coming through the academy after investing so much into it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It’s very hard to argue with that, mainly because it’s true.

That’s a very generous thing to say. Thank you.

We are indeed lucky to have TB; he’s a remarkable man in very many ways. Best Chairman in the PL? Without a doubt, imo. But also: recruited a superb senior team (including #BarberOut), plays an active role in the community, is highly philanthropic (Bloom Foundation, and other vehicles), all while being the most down to Earth very wealthy person I’ve ever met. There are many business/community leaders I know who’ve got knighthoods for far less than Tony has already done. Thank you, Tony.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here