REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Is that true though? It should increase consumer spending and hopefully imcrease confidence.

And 0.5 is a fairly massive cut isn't it.

Not if you are a saver dependent on interest payments. And for the rest of us, only if mortgage rates fall... and even then people have increased bills to pay, so I can't see much of it reaching the high street.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not if you are a saver dependent on interest payments. And for the rest of us, only if mortgage rates fall... and even then people have increased bills to pay, so I can't see much of it reaching the high street.
But why wouldn't mortgage rates fall if the BoE base rate has fallen?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Because lenders aren't under any obligations to mirror it (except for trackers of course), and they have become more reliant on the LIBOR rate (the rate banks lend to each other) to determine the mortgage rates they offer customers. The divergence between the BoE base rate and the LIBOR rate has been one of the fundamnetal issues in mortgage over the past year.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Tracker rates will fall, but can you really see the cash-starved banks giving money away right now by reducing variable rates for existing borrowers??

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I realise they're under no obligations to mirror a BoE rate cut but such a cut is nearly always partially passed on to the consumer.

And surely LIBOR is partly influenced by the BoE base rate anyway? But in any case I'm not sure why our banks are any more reliant on LIBOR than EURIBOR or any other inter bank lending rate, given the global market they operate in.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Tracker rates wil fall 0.5% now, SVR rates will fall 0.3% ish from next month I would say.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I realise they're under no obligations to mirror a BoE rate cut but such a cut is nearly always partially passed on to the consumer.

But how much of the cut?

BS rates have been fluctuating for months, while the BoE rate has been constant.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Tracker rates will be ok for now, but with central banks cutting lending rates worldwide inflation will be a problem in the future and interest could get out of control on the up side.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Mortgage rates cut on Bank news

Mortgage costs have been fluctuating in recent months
Mortgage providers have been dropping the cost of their home loans following the emergency cut in UK interest rates.

Halifax said it will be reducing its standard variable rate (SVR) from 7% to 6.5% from 1 November.

Lloyds TSB, which also lends under the Cheltenham & Gloucester brand, said it would cut its SVR by half a percentage point to 6.5% on the same date.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Tracker rates will be ok for now, but with central banks cutting lending rates worldwide inflation will be a problem in the future and interest could get out of control on the up side.

unlikely inflation could plummet to 1% next year as the recession bites

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Surely the pressure will be on for interest rates to be cut, the banks/lenders won't be popular if they don't pass the majority of it on, isn't the idea to gee the economy up again?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here