insults -voluntary code to stop them?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
...I don't know 'easy10', but know enough about life to know that having 43,000+ posts on here, he thinks gives him ceratin rights....."i'm right, you're wrong" springs to mind! Why else would you possibly want to post over 43,000 f*cking times?

The same alas, goes for any 'high score' poster. When I first posted on here I got called a JCL....oh, really. Had the poster that called me that been to the Goldstone/Priestfield/Withdean/& 'the other one'?....probably not. He made an immediate patronising assumption, based on a 'post count'.

Will I be the same in 950 posts time? - life's too short. 'High posters'.....go & get one :wink:

I don't know you either. But 11 years worth of posts tends to stack up after a while, and I was certainly a far more active poster on here during the Albions 'war years' than I am now. Not that it matters particularly. Does a post count give me "ceratin rights" ? Not in the slightest. But it has given me a certain perspective over the years about what is, I think, worth being bothered about on here, and what isn't. Your friend in Hastings wants to ban all insults on NSC because he feels they are unnecessary. In this way, I think he feels he is carrying the torch for some kind of enlightened debating society which will lead to a messageboard utopia here, a sanitised experience where everybody rubs along nicely, agrees to disagree, and never ever says anything a bit nasty to anyone. Well, there IS a place for that - its called Brightonfans.com and compared to this place, its deader than corduruy. I'm not saying this place is livelier because of insults - its just livelier because people truly vent their spleens, still within reason, without being pulled up on it. Its brash, its baudy, and its laugh-out-loud funny, and rightly or wrongly, part of that IS the insults which fly around sometimes.

NSC is fine just as it is, and yes, I do get a little bit defensive and narky when someone comes on here saying we should be clamping down on this and not letting people say that. There is a balance to be struck, because outright mindless abuse is never something particularly worthwhile. But IMO that balance is already being struck, it is under control, and I don't want to see a load more censorship come in just because a few sensitive souls pull their handbags up to their chins due to a few choice remarks.

So nerr.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I don't know you either. But 11 years worth of posts tends to stack up after a while, and I was certainly a far more active poster on here during the Albions 'war years' than I am now. Not that it matters particularly. Does a post count give me "ceratin rights" ? Not in the slightest. But it has given me a certain perspective over the years about what is, I think, worth being bothered about on here, and what isn't. Your friend in Hastings wants to ban all insults on NSC because he feels they are unnecessary. In this way, I think he feels he is carrying the torch for some kind of enlightened debating society which will lead to a messageboard utopia here, a sanitised experience where everybody rubs along nicely, agrees to disagree, and never ever says anything a bit nasty to anyone. Well, there IS a place for that - its called Brightonfans.com and compared to this place, its deader than corduruy. I'm not saying this place is livelier because of insults - its just livelier because people truly vent their spleens, still within reason, without being pulled up on it. Its brash, its baudy, and its laugh-out-loud funny, and rightly or wrongly, part of that IS the insults which fly around sometimes.

NSC is fine just as it is, and yes, I do get a little bit defensive and narky when someone comes on here saying we should be clamping down on this and not letting people say that. There is a balance to be struck, because outright mindless abuse is never something particularly worthwhile. But IMO that balance is already being struck, it is under control, and I don't want to see a load more censorship come in just because a few sensitive souls pull their handbags up to their chins due to a few choice remarks.

So nerr.

It is fascinating to read how many folk here tend to go for absurd comparisons to lend a bit of credence to their opinion. The statement in your final para-I could not have put it better myself. As to whether that balance is being struck, well that is the issue. Largely it is, I fully accept, as most people are able to truly vent their spleens without the need to vilify others, but as ever a minority is unable to do this. To talk of censorship is nonsense - it is about common decency to other people. NSC can be as heated, raunchy baudy and any other adjective as possible, which is what you expect from a football chatline -it is just not necessary to end with "you xxxx." Is this really that much to ask?

RedRob

come the revolution......
Mar 2, 2013
Pyongyang

So nerr.

You are being reasonable....I think(?) - but YET AGAIN 'the middle class schoolboys' posting just above you are flinging the abuse about again, 'cos they can't win an argument. That's bullying isn't it?

Life will go tomorrow - NSC will stay the same....most will be happy. A few on here, if they've got any balls at all, will take a good look at themselves, & realise they've just been made to look very foolish indeed.

So some good will have come of it....... :thumbsup:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
This is a football messageboard, not a tea room at the Womens Institute.

I'd agree that a line needs to be drawn at mindless insults and abuse for the sake of it. But if I want to call someone a COCKSMOKER every now and then, I don't see the harm in that. We're all grown-ups. Mostly.

Sorry...calling people names went out with school days...not very adult at all.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
153182d1204909878-poll-tire-lights-gay-not-gay-20thread-20congrats.jpg
:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:
The whole threads a bit of a cringe fest if you ask me, to many people being sucked into a fishing exercise IMHO:wink:
regards
DR

Bloody right mate.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
...Get off this thread then, friend - you must have more important 'small town' business to attend to....(?)

You would like this 'small town', plenty of fishing happens here :fishing: but you seem to have caught plenty on here though :lol:

It must be really confusing though trying to remember all the different log in details for your various user names:whistle:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There are too many on this board who choose to play the man not the ball and pick on a posters style or personally attack them (this thread holds some excellent examples of this).

And here's a few more of someone playing the man and not the ball:

It's the only thing he excels at bless him. Second toughest in the infants.

Hmmmm definitely safer to say nothing I think my old pigeon mate.

Now let the grown ups talk

You really don't have to justify your postings to me pigeon.

Your input will be so missed pigeon.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I agree with your point too Hasting Gull

The trouble with insults and abuse is that, contrary to Easy 10 assertions, they usually end any kind of intelligent debate about a subject and result in a slanging binfest which really just stifles any debate and renders discussion pointless.

There are too many on this board who choose to play the man not the ball and pick on a posters style or personally attack them (this thread holds some excellent examples of this).
You're not wrong there.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
And here's a few more of someone playing the man and not the ball:

Just responding in kind Buzzer, you are one of the worst offenders for this.

Oh look you did it again :)

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Eh? All I did was point out where you had played the man. You yourself admitted that you had. I've certainly not had a pop at you by posting the times you insulted me. Do you understand the difference?

And you simply can't try to take the moral high ground on this thread lecturing others about not playing the man if, for whatever reason you yourself have REPEATEDLY done just that elsewhere. Well, you can't without laying yourself open to accusations of hypocrisy.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Eh? All I did was point out where you had played the man. You yourself admitted that you had. I've certainly not had a pop at you by posting the times you insulted me. Do you understand the difference?

And you simply can't try to take the moral high ground on this thread lecturing others about not playing the man if, for whatever reason you yourself have REPEATEDLY done just that elsewhere. Well, you can't without laying yourself open to accusations of hypocrisy.

Nice edit

Well founded accusations of hypocracy too.

You spent time and effort to go and find those quotes and post them out of context and without explanation. your only motivation for this was to make me look 'silly'. If that isn't playing the man not the ball then I don't know what is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports