Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Insulate Britain protests

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Water cannons, yeah that will help. Think Bojo bought 3 and we got £11k for them for scrap metal

If we're going to talk about people dying, perhaps we should pause and think of those of the developing world who have no resilience against climate change created the ever consuming west. Food for thought in a traffic jam...

Three of the biggest emitters of CO2 are China, India and Russia, hardly western consumer economies.
This country will come unstuck in a major way soon our reliance on renewables and our winding down of old nuclear plants will leave a massive hole in our energy supply.
Who'll be the first to protest about that?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Three of the biggest emitters of CO2 are China, India and Russia, hardly western consumer economies.
This country will come unstuck in a major way soon our reliance on renewables and our winding down of old nuclear plants will leave a massive hole in our energy supply.
Who'll be the first to protest about that?

Need to go further with renewables, we will go further and we must. So dumb to keep burning fossil fuels, I find it incredible we are still doing this

Western Economies are still the biggest emitters per capita, this is despite outsourcing our most of our manufactured goods to the likes of China.

We have a huge carbon debt as were the first to benefit from the industrial revolution, I do hope in November the UK can show our true leadership in this area

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The UK has made great inroads in CO2 reduction over the last 20 years. Whilst nations such as German and Norway, and the usual suspects away from Europe haven’t.

9B89610C-15A2-4F45-82F0-D7A1EC1EFE02.png

Current annual CO2 emissions per capita:

Australia 17.1
US 15.52
Russia 11.44
Japan 9.7
Netherlands 9.62
Germany 9.44
Norway 8.28

UK 5.55
France 5.13
Sweden 4.54

Not sure where the narrative in parts of the media is coming from about an awful UK. Perhaps from party politicised shit stirrers who quite deliberately can’t be arsed to check the facts.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Need to go further with renewables, we will go further and we must. So dumb to keep burning fossil fuels, I find it incredible we are still doing this

we're currently seeing the flaw in renewables, they're unreliable. if we had enough to meet our energy demands. we need to go nuclear or rollback development.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can’t see anything in the news about this apart from Nik Ferrari talking about it. Do you have a link?

Completely agree with the cause of course - but their actions are a total disgrace. Can’t believe people are justifying it - I heard somebody DIED who may have survived if it wasn’t for their actions..? Utter disgrace and need to be dealt with harsher - water cannons if abroad I reckon…! Stop disrupting innocent people’s lives - we’ve had enough of that recently you morons!

Edit - sorry, I haven’t read whole thread - seems the death thing was brought up. True or not, imagine it was your family member in that ambulance..!

I dunno about a death, but a woman who was suffering a stroke was stuck on the M25 for 6 hours while her son was trying to get her to hospital.

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/n...sed-stroke-m25-protest-delayed-hospital-trip/

She's been left partially paralysed down her left side, permanently, as a direct result.

These people are filth, they are directly responsible for this, and if that was my mum I'd have marched up to those glued-up pricks to deliver a good kicking.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I dunno about a death, but a woman who was suffering a stroke was stuck on the M25 for 6 hours while her son was trying to get her to hospital.

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/n...sed-stroke-m25-protest-delayed-hospital-trip/

She's been left partially paralysed down her left side, permanently, as a direct result.

These people are filth, they are directly responsible for this, and if that was my mum I'd have marched up to those glued-up pricks to deliver a good kicking.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
These are just things that went to uni learnt they can spung off taxpayers while doing nothing but piss people off. Next week they are up a tree, week after its the anti vax protest, then onto I want my benefits paid in peas protest, meanwhile they get their brand new iPhone, that taxpayers paid for, out to video police and trying to get them sacked.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

That article is vague. Emergency vehicles use traffic jammed motorways and roads every day; why couldn’t the first ambulance get to him? This initial ambulance seems to be the root cause?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I’m late to this thread, but firstly - there are quite a few XR folk in our village - they are wonderful people (not filth, as I see Easy10 has labelled them. PS: agree with (and enjoy) most of Easy10’s posts, so sorry about that).

I’ve been thinking about the Climate Emergency for some time, in amongst all the other stuff one has to deal with in life, and I’ve got to the stage where I think I’m ready to get involved in direct action (very definitely non-violent, though).

I simply don’t trust government or commercial organisations to make the right decisions for our planet. And I think (without trying to be too noble) we owe it to our children and grandchildren (and billions of our fellow citizens elsewhere in the world) to start to really care about this planet.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
These are just things that went to uni learnt they can spung off taxpayers while doing nothing but piss people off. Next week they are up a tree, week after its the anti vax protest, then onto I want my benefits paid in peas protest, meanwhile they get their brand new iPhone, that taxpayers paid for, out to video police and trying to get them sacked.

:fishing: ???

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
These are empty words. Do you think that blocking one of the busiest trunk roads in the country is helping to save the planet?

The point here isn't whether it's a worthy cause (everyone thinks it is) it's the crude method they're using.

Empty words? Good grief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You appear to believe collateral damage (including deaths) are acceptable as supposedly raising awareness for the climate action cause is far more important, can I ask if there is any action you would refuse to support? Multi-car, numerous death pile-ups on the M25? Maybe a different group letting off a few bombs?

How many everyday men/women stuck in the traffic jams or inconvenienced by them will be changing their vote to Green do you reckon?

That’s a pretty amateur attempt, but par for the course given previous posts from you that I’ve read.

I’ll let you work out the difference yourself. You should be able to.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Not very bright are they.

Millions of people who may be sympathetic to their cause will end up hacked off and slagging them off.

They are more interested on being notorious and getting on the telly than they are about coming up with a tangible solution to the problem that they are worried about

I wonder if they said the same thing about Emily Davison?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Sorry but this comes across as ‘I care about the planet so much. I don’t mind someone dying as a result of the protest but hope it’s not me’ - a bit hypocritical. I think anyone with a brain cares about the planet and our future generations living good lives. But killing innocent people is not the way to go about it. Plenty of other far more clever ways that don’t put peoples lives at risk - they’re total morons.

Not really. I care very much about people not dying.

As do the NHS. Take a look at some of their strategy papers. Climate change is predicted to become the biggest killer, outweighing COVID by a country mile.

However, those deaths are intangible (although not if you are caught in an extreme weather event or dying of starvation through lack of food), but a death in a blocked ambulance is easier for commentators to make real for people.

I am not taking away the individual tragedy. It is tragic. But the greater tragedy is yet to happen.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As do the NHS. Take a look at some of their strategy papers. Climate change is predicted to become the biggest killer, outweighing COVID by a country mile.

does that mean we can stop worrying about too much sugar, fat, salt, too little exercise? or is that jumping on the current zeitgeist.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is direct action. It’s supposed to inconvenience people. It’s supposed to piss people off. That’s how it works. Or doesn’t work. But it is the intention.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Imagine missing your kids wedding / graduation / family funeral etc etc - all needlessly. There will be some seriously ****ed off people.

https://youtu.be/52lFfNJbMyI

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not really. I care very much about people not dying.

However, those deaths are intangible (although not if you are caught in an extreme weather event or dying of starvation through lack of food), but a death in a blocked ambulance is easier for commentators to make real for people.

I am not taking away the individual tragedy. It is tragic. But the greater tragedy is yet to happen.

And there’s many other ways to make the point. Anyone with a brain agrees with the point and we think of our kids and grandkids and their kids etc etc. But this is simply not the right way to do it - watch the interview above - no answers for their actions. Just think of a better way that’s just as powerful!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here