Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Great whataboutary thread

Meanwhile, nothing from the government on insulation. That would hurt the profits of the fossil fuel companies, too many vested interests.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Great whataboutary thread

Meanwhile, nothing from the government on insulation. That would hurt the profits of the fossil fuel companies, too many vested interests.

There was a great radio interview yesterday with it seemed the expert on the UK energy consumption including insulation. Both a critic and an optimist.

He said that if the government financially backed loft and cavity wall insulation in all suitable homes, it could be achieved within 5 years, at a relatively modest cost and reduce avoidable domestic heat loss by 60%.

The remaining 40% of heat loss, the much harder nut to crack, is from the older 7.8m homes with solid walls. Project 2.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
There was a great radio interview yesterday with it seemed the expert on the UK energy consumption including insulation. Both a critic and an optimist.

He said that if the government financially backed loft and cavity wall insulation in all suitable homes, it could be achieved within 5 years, at a relatively modest cost and reduce avoidable domestic heat loss by 60%.

The remaining 40% of heat loss, the much harder nut to crack, is from the older 7.8m homes with solid walls. Project 2.

Even Tories like Andrea Leadsom admitted recently that insulation is low hanging fruit. We should have started a big push on this months ago.

Topping up loft insulation and cavity walls where possible would be a good start. It should be illegal to rent a property unless it meets a minimum insulation standard

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Even Tories like Andrea Leadsom admitted recently that insulation is low hanging fruit. We should have started a big push on this months ago.

Topping up loft insulation and cavity walls where possible would be a good start. It should be illegal to rent a property unless it meets a minimum insulation standard

it is, since 2018 have to comply with "Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard" to rent.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
it is, since 2018 have to comply with "Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard" to rent.

Fair dos, minimum on the EPC grade C by 2025. I wasn't aware of that. Maybe offer owners occupiers a council tax rebate a rebate for hitting it also

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

Aren't they trying to do this with the air-source heaters that are designed, whether accidentally or deliberately, to be too inefficient to heat properly? The idea being to force people to install very expensive insulation or else live in a cold, cold property?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Aren't they trying to do this with the air-source heaters that are designed, whether accidentally or deliberately, to be too inefficient to heat properly? The idea being to force people to install very expensive insulation or else live in a cold, cold property?

Heat pumps are OK for new builds but for many existing dwelling they are problematic. Replacing all existing gas boilers with them is frankly for the birds.

Should be more work into exploring bio-gas solutions...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

In terms of cost, I think they said per home £100 for loft insulation (presumably materials only DIY) and £500 for cavity wall insulation. Imho double that for loft cost, partly because the deeper the merrier.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
In terms of cost, I think they said per home £100 for loft insulation (presumably materials only DIY) and £500 for cavity wall insulation. Imho double that for loft cost, partly because the deeper the merrier.
It's the "project two" homes, the ones that don't have a loft or cavity walls, that I'm thinking about. And living in!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's the "project two" homes, the ones that don't have a loft or cavity walls, that I'm thinking about. And living in!

You'd know this already, but I looked online at the time and the aspiration is that they're insulated from the outside with insulation boards and I think a breathable membrane, then obviously finished off with a render coating.

Obviously incredibly expensive, then how does that work with listed status/conservation area homes, will it cover attractive looking Gritstone homes in the Pennines or Granite homes in Cormwall, will it impact Radon gas build up in homes in relevant areas? And I'm not even in the building sector!

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
https://metro.co.uk/2022/10/01/captain-tom-memorial-covered-in-human-faeces-by-protesters-17485278/

Eco-protester pours ‘actual liquid human s**t’ on Captain Tom memorial

A memorial to Sir Captain Tom Moore has been vandalised by a protestor campaigning against the use of private jets in the UK.

Maddie Budd, 21, poured what she claimed was faeces and urine over the statue of the late British Army Officer in Hatton, Derbyshire.

Footage of the stomach-churning incident has appeared on the campaign group End UK Private Jets’ social media pages.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
https://metro.co.uk/2022/10/01/captain-tom-memorial-covered-in-human-faeces-by-protesters-17485278/

Eco-protester pours ‘actual liquid human s**t’ on Captain Tom memorial

A memorial to Sir Captain Tom Moore has been vandalised by a protestor campaigning against the use of private jets in the UK.

Maddie Budd, 21, poured what she claimed was faeces and urine over the statue of the late British Army Officer in Hatton, Derbyshire.

Footage of the stomach-churning incident has appeared on the campaign group End UK Private Jets’ social media pages.

What are your thoughts on this? You have just copied and pasted a third of an article. Do you have an opinion? We can all read an article off our own bats, what do you think about her actions?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
What are your thoughts on this? You have just copied and pasted a third of an article. Do you have an opinion? We can all read an article off our own bats, what do you think about her actions?

Totally baffled by this " "protest , I do try to understand other peoples opinions and actions usually but have to admit just I don't have the capability to " appreciate " the point being made by this protester .

Perhaps you do though BTW did you see the article elsewhere ?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Totally baffled by this " "protest , I do try to understand other peoples opinions and actions usually but have to admit just I don't have the capability to " appreciate " the point being made by this protester .

Perhaps you do though BTW did you see the article elsewhere ?

Surely it's simple to understand?

She thinks Tom Moore is a great man for supporting the NHS, she thinks the government is wiping out humanity by not giving the NHS money, she thinks that if private jets were banned the NHS would have more money, and she thinks the best way to express these opinions is by pouring excrement over Tom Moore;s statue.

I'm glad she is no longer studying to be a doctor. She doesn't sound very bright. Good publicity seeker, hopeless at joined-up thinking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here