Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inigo Calderon

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Which player used to play regularly against the likes of Messi?

What in the name of Keith Chegwin's grubby anus does that have to do with anything? Who you play against isn't the prime marker in judging one's qualities. How you play is. If you're saying Bruno has the better competitve pedigree, fine. But that has little value if he's playing carelessly in the here and now.

Form wise Calde might've been better over the past season but ability wise there is a massive gulf between them.

What's the point of considering his ability if his form is wayward?

Oscar evidently doesn't believe Bruno's form is wayward, but much of his carelessness and slow tracking back are often his undoing.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Despite the fact I thought he was very good yesterday I suspect Bruno will be straight back in the team Tuesday which begs the question why (if he does) ?

Blimey, I've heard it all now. He was awful, along with Spanish Dave.

We need a new right-back.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Bruno was back to his best in the 2nd half against Wigan, so you'd hope and expect him to take that form into Tuesday's game.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
slightly off topic...are we to assume Upson's shoulder injury at the end wasn't much...and we retain a settled back three and goalie..with multi choice right back

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I'd go for Bruno at present, but we need a new 1st choice RB next season regardless of which division we are in

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Mr Acker needs to come up with some stats for goals conceded in the games they have played. My suspicion is we let in more when Calde is on the pitch.....

And the other thing that I have noticed is that Bruno tends to play higher up the pitch, as Bridge did, which can be a sign of a better player....

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Both players have their good points and their bad points. At the end of the day it is a team game and Oscar picks who is playing.

ThePolishJig

Mar 21, 2013
Really don't rate Bruno going forward or getting back. Calderon is more up for it, Calderon for me.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
We know bruno is looking solid at the moment where-as as someone said before Calde needs a couple of games. Not under estimating barnsley by any means, but I would let Calde play on tuesday and re-assess for saturday against Leicester.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Calde wasnt brilliant yesterday - so Bruno will be back in the team.

For me, Calde is starting to get really overrated - sure hes a decent player, but he isnt as good as being made out. Him and Bruno are on a par with each other.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Hasn't Bruno won a La Liga title medal with Valencia?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Bruno every time. His passing ability gives us a creativity that an Orlandiless team completely lacks. It won't work every time, but if 90% of his passes are spot on, which is usually the case, then we have the beginnings of an end result. Yesterday without him we needed Ward to wake up in the second half to become that attacking threat from fullback. Calderon, although ever-reliable and a 110% legend, was yesterday outwitted by the neckless, diving dwarf they had, and other than the one first half moment where he could have changed matters, had nothing in an attacking way and not quite the guile to run a game.
THE BROONS!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Bruno every time. His passing ability gives us a creativity that an Orlandiless team completely lacks. It won't work every time, but if 90% of his passes are spot on, which is usually the case, then we have the beginnings of an end result. Yesterday without him we needed Ward to wake up in the second half to become that attacking threat from fullback. Calderon, although ever-reliable and a 110% legend, was yesterday outwitted by the neckless, diving dwarf they had, and other than the one first half moment where he could have changed matters, had nothing in an attacking way and not quite the guile to run a game.
THE BROONS!

Completely agree with you.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This always amuses me as when he slowly tracks back he is more often than not being covered by midfielder or the winger/wide forward.

My thoughts exactly, a full back goes upfield, someone is covering in case it breaks down. Bruno is not a box to box player and probably needs to pace himself so will not tear up and down the pitch like a youngster. The way we play, he should be covered when he is out of position if we expect him to be an attacking outlet.

Bruno has some great ball skills and can play killer balls and also run with the ball and is an all round better player than Calde imo. Calde is a fans favourite, Bruno isn't as loved. Witness all the "liability" comments on here as he regained match fitness. Calde can be skinned all afternoon but as long as he marauds forward well and expends lots of energy he tends to get better reviews than Bruno even if he has been as suspect at the back as Bruno often is.

Imo neither are good enough defensively but I prefer Bruno, especially as he now seems to be getting back to his best. :shrug:

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I'm team Calderon. Bruno might be better gahn forward but you need that reliability at the back.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
It's a hard call, with more game time I'd say Bruno will be better than Calde but how many games do you give him in hope he will pick up form?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
With that logic Kerry Mayo must be mint becuase he played against Tevez.

Was Mayo a prem regular? No. Bruno was a la liga regular, at one of the top sides. He's quite obviously the better player, so it's worth giving him the games to get his form back at this stage in the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here