Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Infrastructure FC

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Is a club with a huge catchment area all to itself and a history of decent to large gates (when in possession of a proper football stadium and not under bent ownership).

That could also be Bournemouth re: catchment area.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That could also be Bournemouth re: catchment area.

Haven’t they decided AGAINST redevelopment though? Happy to take the millions, spend it on players and leave the ground with a League One capacity. Long term it will not work imo.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Haven’t they decided AGAINST redevelopment though?

I'm not sure of the plans about re-development. They were talking about moving. They are setting up a spanking new training ground, but ground wise I think they put it off for now.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
1.5 million Sussex population. But way over a million if we exclude Chichester and Bognor as Pompey.

0.4 million Poole to Christchurch population. Plus for historical reasons (much bigger club) Stains have loads of support there.

Just as we have Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool and Arse here. Dorset is still a big place to support the local club.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I agree with all that, apart from the bit I highlighted. Bournmouth are a nothing club that has been injected with money steroids, and their fanbase has embraced this (perhaps understandably). But they are no more a real viable club than any tiny nonentity injected with money steroids. Gillingham, Swindon, Plymouth, Bristol Rovers.....and countless similar northern clubs (who, frankly, probably have more loyal support) injected with money steroids would be the same. The only issue of relevance here is to what extent will the owners carry on pumping the money steroids if/when the club are relegated. Funnily enough my guess is that they will carry on, at least until and unless they look like dropping down further. The real crash and burn clubs over the last few years are those run by stubborn old school English self made man types (going back to the decline of Man City, followed by Blackburn, Wigan and others), or foreign crooks (Birmingham, Leeds). Not sure that the Plucky ownership fits either of these stereotypes.

It is tempting to take the view that they got lucky with the investment and will have to roll with the punches when it goes away, especially when they have a few thick fans who, spurned by Southampton and Portsmouth, want to start some rivalry with us, but my view of these situations at other clubs is forever haunted by how I felt at half time at Hereford. Before Reinelt's equaliser we were all staring at a future with no ground and, with the Conference not confirming agreement to the Gillingham move, perhaps no league to play in. We can look back now and say that we would have found a way to survive, but it didn't feel like that in the moment. It felt like something I loved could be dying. However cocky, flippant or in denial some of Bournemouth's fans might be, I couldn't wish that feeling on them, or on anyone.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
1.5 million Sussex population. But still way over a million if we exclude Chichester and Bognor as Pompey.

0.4 million Poole to Christchurch population. Plus for historical reasons (much bigger club) Stains have loads of support there.

I don't see why New Zealanders would have any interest in Bournemouth.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It is tempting to take the view that they got lucky with the investment and will have to roll with the punches when it goes away, especially when they have a few thick fans who, spurned by Southampton and Portsmouth, want to start some rivalry with us, but my view of these situations at other clubs is forever haunted by how I felt at half time at Hereford. Before Reinelt's equaliser we were all staring at a future with no ground and, with the Conference not confirming agreement to the Gillingham move, perhaps no league to play in. We can look back now and say that we would have found a way to survive, but it didn't feel like that in the moment. It felt like something I loved could be dying. However cocky, flippant or in denial some of Bournemouth's fans might be, I couldn't wish that feeling on them, or on anyone.

They don't want a rivalry with us as we don't with them, get over yourself, we aren't that important and neither are they. We are low league opponents and no more, but they only care about the Skates and Scum, they care less about us, they'd probably be happier having Torquay in the Prem.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
They don't want a rivalry with us as we don't with them, get over yourself, we aren't that important and neither are they. We are low league opponents and no more, but they only care about the Skates and Scum, they care less about us, they'd probably be happier having Torquay in the Prem.

Perhaps you should have read a bit more carefully before reacting. I said 'a few thick fans'.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Exactly not. We are a club that has slowly been developed by a careful process of good diet, exercise, homework, neighbourliness in the community, and injections of carefully measured therapeutic money, over a sustained period of time. Yes, we could have emulated Bournmouth by renting and upgrading Withdean to a magnificent 10,500 capacity, and spending steroidal amount of money on players......but we didn't.

I think to an extent you're looking through blue tuned specs here.
We are far, far more sustainable than plucky Bournemouth, who would plummet down the leagues without the Russian money.
However, we (uncle Tony) had to sustain losing £30m a season just to get promoted. Without Tony's money we would still be yoyoing between league 1 and the Championship.

Last edited:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Yeah I bet Liverpool and city fans are green with jealousy as we speak.

Get over yourself and get some bloody perspective.

Bit harsh, and difficult to argue with any of his points about our present position/fortune. The bit about other fans being jealous is interesting. Saw a post on BBS from a Palace fan moaning about a Man U fan workmate who is thinking of switching to BHA. We must be doing something right?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think you an extent you're looking through blue tuned specs here.
We are far, far more sustainable than plucky Bournemouth, who would plummet down the leagues without the Russian money.
However, we (uncle Tony) had to sustain losing £30m a season just to get promoted. Without Tony's money we would still be yoyoing between league 1 and the Championship.

I actually agree with HWT, we are a process. It may have taken many years to get there but we did. I'm not sure what your argument is.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
See... they are obsessed with their much bigger brother...

There's a link to this thread on NSC because they've apparently picked up on their Infrastructure FC nickname. They seem to think we use it out of jealousy. No lads it's taking the piss out of the fact that you can't have a conversation with any Hove supporter without them mentioning the word infrastructure three times per sentence.

Some examples of it in use...

"Lewis Grabban will take one look at the infrastructure at B&HA and sign immediately"

"Brighton have the best infrastructure in the world so we'll definitely get promoted to the PL before a tin pot outfit like AFCB"

"Even our infrastructure has got top level infrastructure; nobody in Brighton actually knows what the word infrastructure means but we know we've got it and it's the best infrastructure"

:lol: Jealous, much :) 1-3 thanks very much.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think you an extent you're looking through blue tuned specs here.

But if you took out every clubs subsidy from its owners, based on the recent El Pres Championship data, we’d be higher than that.

Plus Plucky cheated FFP to get promoted. TB didn’t.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here