Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Inflatable kayak, canoeing in Sussex

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The purpose of this thread is to find out if anyone else on NSC has an inflatable kayak, has any tips for me or decent locations around Sussex for a paddle? I live near Steyning so that's a good base to reach the Arun, Adur, south coast.

It's my 54th birthday and I have just received an inflatable 2-man 3.5 metre kayak from my wife. This is one of those gifts that comes as a complete surprise, as I enjoy a river / canal walk and have mentioned to the missus on numerous occasions how it would be nice to take to the water.

I was in the scouts and canoed in the sea, rivers etc and I did a 2-day foundation canoe course about 7 years ago, so I'm not a complete novice but not so experienced either.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Seen loads of people launching from Cuckoos Corner on the Adur. On the northern side there is a ramp people walk their inflatables down.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Cuckmere River at Alfriston.
Park at the little bridge, Lullington Road, paddle all the way to the Cuckmere Haven.
Stop at the pub at Exceat for lunch the back to Alfriston,

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The purpose of this thread is to find out if anyone else on NSC has an inflatable kayak, has any tips for me or decent locations around Sussex for a paddle? I live near Steyning so that's a good base to reach the Arun, Adur, south coast.

It's my 54th birthday and I have just received an inflatable 2-man 3.5 metre kayak from my wife. This is one of those gifts that comes as a complete surprise, as I enjoy a river / canal walk and have mentioned to the missus on numerous occasions how it would be nice to take to the water.

I was in the scouts and canoed in the sea, rivers etc and I did a 2-day foundation canoe course about 7 years ago, so I'm not a complete novice but not so experienced either.

I envy you, l too was the proud owner of a two man kayak, albeit nigh on 20 years ago now. I used to love it back in the day, my frame just isn't supple and bendy enough to get in and out of it anymore.

One of my favourite outings was to take it on the car to Shermanbury, park up at the front of the Bull pub, then paddle up the Adur to Shoreham.

It takes some time, but was lovely and scenic, lots of wildlife to be seen enroute too.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Barcombe Mills? Went up there a couple of weeks ago with the paddle-boards and it was perfect conditions (Although further up the river near the Anchor Inn it does get a bit overgrown)

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Barcombe Mills? Went up there a couple of weeks ago with the paddle-boards and it was perfect conditions (Although further up the river near the Anchor Inn it does get a bit overgrown)

40 years ago a bailiff told me to go away when I tried to paddle there! Mind you he has probably gone by now!!

I was advised by a canoeing club, stick your canoe in at Cuckmere when the tide is coming in. You get pushed to Alfriston, time for a couple of pints then glide back with the tide hardly have to make a splash!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Main tip. If you capsize in the sea at the moment, close your mouth.

But seriously its great fun. There's a fairly short trip down the dur from Coombs area to Norfolk Bridge area of Shoreham which is suitable for noobs

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
40 years ago a bailiff told me to go away when I tried to paddle there! Mind you he has probably gone by now!!

I was advised by a canoeing club, stick your canoe in at Cuckmere when the tide is coming in. You get pushed to Alfriston, time for a couple of pints then glide back with the tide hardly have to make a splash!

Its a very popular spot now at the Mills - although I've heard the pub owner gets arsey if people paddle on the stretch past the Inn as he rents out boats, and thinks that part of the river belongs to him :shrug:

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
I bought myself an inflatable kayak this summer and have been using it pretty much weekly on Regents Canal/Grand Union Canal in London. I live by Victoria Park which is a 10 minute walk to a good put in on the canal and it's amazing how far you can go right through central London - I commuted right over to Ladbroke Grove (around 13 km) through Kings Cross, Little Venice etc earlier this year. Something very therapeutic about being out on the water

I've also done a 2 day trip along the Thames from Henley to Windsor - again great fun and lots of wildlife en route (Kingfishers, Carp and Pike, lots of Cormorants and Herons etc), would highly recommend. If you were wanting a proper expedition you can kayak the length of the non tidal Thames from Oxfordshire to Teddington (around 140 miles) which I hope to do at some point over the next few years! I'd advise you to get a good backpack to carry it in (if it didn't come with one already) so that you can easily get to a range of different places to put the kayak in without a car. Much easier to transport, and the one I bought came with a really flimsy bag that disintegrated after two uses.

Pavillionaire, which brand/style is your inflatable? More suited for sea or river kayaking? And do you know whether it's sit in or sit on top? Mine's a pretty basic Intex K2 Explorer (the most common one I see out and about, and pretty cheap also) but am looking to upgrade for longer trips next year.

Am looking to do some more sea kayaking around Sussex next summer so would be great to hear how you get on with your trips and good spots you find - sorry I can't help more with good Sussex places at the moment!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I bought myself an inflatable kayak this summer and have been using it pretty much weekly on Regents Canal/Grand Union Canal in London. I live by Victoria Park which is a 10 minute walk to a good put in on the canal and it's amazing how far you can go right through central London - I commuted right over to Ladbroke Grove (around 13 km) through Kings Cross, Little Venice etc earlier this year. Something very therapeutic about being out on the water

I've also done a 2 day trip along the Thames from Henley to Windsor - again great fun and lots of wildlife en route (Kingfishers, Carp and Pike, lots of Cormorants and Herons etc), would highly recommend. If you were wanting a proper expedition you can kayak the length of the non tidal Thames from Oxfordshire to Teddington (around 140 miles) which I hope to do at some point over the next few years! I'd advise you to get a good backpack to carry it in (if it didn't come with one already) so that you can easily get to a range of different places to put the kayak in without a car. Much easier to transport, and the one I bought came with a really flimsy bag that disintegrated after two uses.

Pavillionaire, which brand/style is your inflatable? More suited for sea or river kayaking? And do you know whether it's sit in or sit on top? Mine's a pretty basic Intex K2 Explorer (the most common one I see out and about, and pretty cheap also) but am looking to upgrade for longer trips next year.

Am looking to do some more sea kayaking around Sussex next summer so would be great to hear how you get on with your trips and good spots you find - sorry I can't help more with good Sussex places at the moment!

Don't want to hijack the thread, but quick question please - are you using a two seater with a second person, or just you and then putting the carry bag plus the stuff in the other seat?

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec

Can recommend the Advanced Elements Advance Frame. Saw me through numerous 20 mile days. Only got rid once we moved and had space for a hard-shell!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Don't want to hijack the thread, but quick question please - are you using a two seater with a second person, or just you and then putting the carry bag plus the stuff in the other seat?

Probably both. I'll go out first by myself, then maybe one of my kids will come with me once I've spotted some decent places.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here