Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not Murray but...

Oh Peas are one girl and a keyboard. Bit nursery rhymey and too twee for me.

Wild Balbina are a girl garage band. Bit Vivian Girls, and quite good. In my estimation.

Thanks Staly. I'll check them both out.

Flex Your Head

Come on [MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION] Get on it...

You called m'lud?

I see that [MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION] has provided a response, but just to add a wee bit more info; I've not heard them / her, but I read or heard somewhere that Oh Peas are a 'like a female fronted Casiotone for the Painfully Alone' and that a lot of the songs are a bit 'sad'.
I'm sure there's a link with the wonderful Frozy too, which isn't surprising as Nicol (who lives in Seaford and regularly performs in Brighton) seems to have teamed up with pretty much everyone making independent / lo-fi / DIY music over the past couple of years. This might explain how Oh Peas have got the support slot for the Lovely Eggs show at Sticky Mike's in November, along with the really rather brilliant Slum of Legs.

I might see if I can hear some songs later, but the internet at work blocks the vast majority of interesting sites. Tsk!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
You called m'lud?

I see that [MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION] has provided a response, but just to add a wee bit more info; I've not heard them / her, but I read or heard somewhere that Oh Peas are a 'like a female fronted Casiotone for the Painfully Alone' and that a lot of the songs are a bit 'sad'.
I'm sure there's a link with the wonderful Frozy too, which isn't surprising as Nicol (who lives in Seaford and regularly performs in Brighton) seems to have teamed up with pretty much everyone making independent / lo-fi / DIY music over the past couple of years. This might explain how Oh Peas have got the support slot for the Lovely Eggs show at Sticky Mike's in November, along with the really rather brilliant Slum of Legs.

I might see if I can hear some songs later, but the internet at work blocks the vast majority of interesting sites. Tsk!

Got tickets for that Lovely Eggs show.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
:tumble:

OK, am I the only one who is familiar with SARAH 19?? Admittedly, it's a terrible song. I've learned my lesson - contrived jokes around obscure, poor songs MAY fall a little flat....this isn't the first time I've made a C86 joke that was met with silence - the other time wasn't on this board though and it involved The Chesterfields.

Pedant alert. Sarah 17.

Let's Build A Dysonsphere. Einstein Was Wrong

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Pedant alert. Sarah 17.

Let's Build A Dysonsphere. Einstein Was Wrong

Good point Staly. I'm not sure I've ever listened to the other two tracks. Ditto Tramway b-sides. any good? Re Chesterfields: no, although I may try that one, high whoosh risk factor though ("Anyone fancy a cup of C[86]? Great, I'll put Kettle on." [should it be delivered in a Yorkshire accent to cater for the lack of definite article? Probably not - although I would certainly add to the cringe factor] It was based around wanting to know what pop stars have for tea...

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Good point Staly. I'm not sure I've ever listened to the other two tracks. Ditto Tramway b-sides. any good? Re Chesterfields: no, although I may try that one, high whoosh risk factor though ("Anyone fancy a cup of C[86]? Great, I'll put Kettle on." [should it be delivered in a Yorkshire accent to cater for the lack of definite article? Probably not - although I would certainly add to the cringe factor] It was based around wanting to know what pop stars have for tea...

What do pop kids wear in the sea? I've always wondered.

Yes, that was the gist of the kettle joke. I used it a couple of times in my youth, to my shame. Possibly made more sense in Leeds for the reason you suggest.

Last edited:

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
What do pop kids wear in the sea? I've always wondered.

Perhaps these:

wwja8zdhjwtva8hkhbcpw09wfhi29smfh2hmwoq7ngo_ub_oe3c7v1ucpwzv_h0twxrqcsuvrcauilvcduht_vq.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here