Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Listened to all 3 CDs of the C86 reissue / expansion yesterday (thanks @tiny cowboy ).

Some great stuff. Some 'interesting' calls on what constitutes 'C86'.

Right now, listening to the Wheat album. Promising :thumbsup:

Still haven't got round to playing that C86 reissue. It's an odd one, because it was never a "Best of ...." kind of thing, and some bands offered some of their worst songs, so it's a worse collection than, say, Bob Stanley's CD86. Also, I was never a fan of the Ron Johnson/Captain Beefheart-y side of things, although I don't mind Bogshed too much. Always found that Stump song a bit tiresome though. Nice to see indie snobbishness is still alive and well - if you look at some of the comments under the Quietus' review of C86, there are a few people saying that it wasn't as good as C81. And I don't think they're joking.

Flex Your Head

Still haven't got round to playing that C86 reissue. It's an odd one, because it was never a "Best of ...." kind of thing, and some bands offered some of their worst songs, so it's a worse collection than, say, Bob Stanley's CD86. Also, I was never a fan of the Ron Johnson/Captain Beefheart-y side of things, although I don't mind Bogshed too much. Always found that Stump song a bit tiresome though. Nice to see indie snobbishness is still alive and well - if you look at some of the comments under the Quietus' review of C86, there are a few people saying that it wasn't as good as C81. And I don't think they're joking.

I picked up a copy for £18.50ish inc P&P from an Amazon seller when it came out and still haven't played it through. Good value though, and the accompanying booklet / sleeve notes look good too - plenty to read.
I'm with you on the more 'awkward' side of C86 - not really a fan unless there's a tune - but I do love a quick blast every so often. I think I'm more tolerant of it now that I was back then.

C81 was a pretty decent compilation, but let's not forget it did feature Linx *shudder*

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Here's the final few bands and full schedule for this year's Indietracks:

http://www.indietracks.co.uk/schedule/

61 bands - awesome. I'm particularly excited by Dorotea, then The Blue Minkies, followed by Joanna Gruesome on the Saturday. This threesome alone would make for a fantastic gig.

We're having the Come Again disco on the opening night - best not overdo the booze in the excitement beforehand or it'll be a set full of 1978 Wire demos and early US hardcore. Having said that, that does sound grrrreat!

Looking forward to an indietracks review at some point. Off to see some of the bands that played there tonight- Joanna Gruesome, Thee Ahs, Slum Of Legs all supporting Perfect Pussy. Quite a decent line up and all for just seven quid.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Looking forward to an indietracks review at some point. Off to see some of the bands that played there tonight- Joanna Gruesome, Thee Ahs, Slum Of Legs all supporting Perfect Pussy. Quite a decent line up and all for just seven quid.

That's a bargain. Enjoy the gig - give us a review! I would love to go to Indietracks, but either I'd have to change jobs or it would have to be a week later - I'm always very busy at work all of July (until Thursday morning 10am).

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
That's a bargain. Enjoy the gig - give us a review! I would love to go to Indietracks, but either I'd have to change jobs or it would have to be a week later - I'm always very busy at work all of July (until Thursday morning 10am).

Thanks. Will post a review tomorrow.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
My ears are still ringing and slightly worse for wear after a balmy Summer evening at The Green Door Store watching a total of four bands play.
First up were local band Slum Of Legs who were promoting their new single. A pleasant enough sound, the odd bit of yelping and some energetic dancing. The drummer took over vocals at one point but judging by her performance I would stick with the lead.
Second band were Thee Ahs. Unfortunately missed half their set as was chatting outside and had not estimated how quick the turn around between bands would be. Saw three songs though. (All sets were around 25 mins each- so fairly short)This lot were the most tuneful of the four and would definitely like to hear more from them. Guessing by the accents they are from USA somewhere.
Joanna Gruesome, whom I have seen before were probably band of the evening. They played 5 album tracks and a couple of new songs. One of which is a split single with Perfect Pussy. The final song saw half the band being held aloft by the audience whilst still playing their instruments. I was tempted to get their album on vinyl but in the cold light of day realised that would have been silly having already got it on CD.
Final band were Perfect Pussy and I knew what to expert- a complete change of music as we were treated to twenty minutes of the loudest and fastest playing since I saw Melt Banana in June. Two of my friends went outside after two tracks as they had 'had enough'. It was difficult to decipher which songs they were actually playing from the album. However, they were very good and got the audience dancing. My only gripe is the arrogance of the lead singer. Ok she is very attractive but the way she posed at the top of the speaker during closing number was just embarrassing to watch. A white Rhianna my girlfriend summed her up as.
Both times I have seen Joanna Gruesome they have supported other bands that are clearly weaker in my view than they are. With an excellent album already released they should be headlining themselves by now.

rosscrudos

Mar 17, 2008
So, I've just become the co host of a twee indie pop radio show in Madison, Wisconsin. So, if anyone has any suggestion of any newer bands I should play! I should also point out I've no money, so any free MP3's would be great. If any of you lot are in a band, send me a MP3 and I'll play it :)

email me at rossianadam@gmail.com

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
So, I've just become the co host of a twee indie pop radio show in Madison, Wisconsin. So, if anyone has any suggestion of any newer bands I should play! I should also point out I've no money, so any free MP3's would be great. If any of you lot are in a band, send me a MP3 and I'll play it :)

Free download here:
http://www.stereogum.com/1687315/the-moles-beauty-queen-of-watts/mp3s/

I'm sure @flexyourhead would be more than happy to make you a CD...

Flex Your Head

Hello gang. Indietracks was absolutely awesome but I've not written anything up yet. Hopefully I'll find time to knock up a review of sorts at some point, but for a decent overview of what people thought, have a look here - http://anorakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=7424

The Come Again? DJs disco on the Friday night was great fun to do, and as it went on more and more people were dancing and cheering (and drinking) and it was, for me and Andy at least, a brilliant start to the weekend.

We alternated 15ish minute 'sets' for the first 90 minutes. I went for shorter songs, with only a couple longer than 3 minutes, so I managed to squeeze 6 songs per quarter hour. Anyway, here's what we played:

The Legends - Make it Alright
Pains of Being Pure at Heart - 103
Gorgeous Bully - Sinking Feeling
This Many Boyfriends - Young Lovers Go Pop!
The Go! Team - Huddle Formation
Irene - Stardust
Dorotea - The Days Are Short When You Work
Sea Lions - Out Alive
Bob - Convenience
Orange Juice - Poor Old Soul, Pt. 2
Comet Gain - Tighten Up!
Nai Harvest - Ain't That Enough (Teenage Fanclub)
The Springfields - Million Tears (The Pastels)
Golden Grrrls - I Don't Want You Anyway (Look Blue Go Purple)
The Frenchmen - Steaming Train (Talulah Gosh!)
Horowitz - Judy Is a Punk (Ramones)
The Bartlebees - Garageland (The Clash)
Beat Happening - Crashing Through
Henry's Dress - All This Time For Nothing
Sourpatch - I Want You Either Way
Teenage Fanclub - God Knows It's True
The Fireworks - With My Heart
Sock Puppets - Alcoholic
The Blue Minkies - Tough Punks are Square
All Girl Summer Fun Band - Tour Heart Throb
Joanna Gruesome - Sugarcrush
Dinosaur Jr - Freak Scene
Heavenly - C is The Heavenly Option
The Soup Dragons - Just Mind Your Step, Girl (about 20 secs and then the thing stopped working... couldn't get this to play again, so opted for...)
The Country Teasers - Thank You God For Making Me An Angel
Shrag - Rabbit Kids
Le Tigre - Deceptacon
Help Stamp Out Loneliness - Record Store
Tegan and Sara - Everything is Awesome
Kenickie - Come Out Tonight
Dolly Parton - Here You Come Again

You can 'friend' us on Facebook if you like - www.facebook.com/ComeAgainDJs

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Whats the name of the station, Ross? Let us know when your show is, and (time difference permitting!) I'll give you a listen vis TuneIn radio. :thumbsup:

rosscrudos

Mar 17, 2008
Whats the name of the station, Ross? Let us know when your show is, and (time difference permitting!) I'll give you a listen vis TuneIn radio.

So, the first show starts tomorrow (wednesday) at 2pm UK time. You can listen online at www.wsum.org the show is called one, two, twee. This week is going to be a Australian special. Will be doing a brighton special soon :)

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
So, the first show starts tomorrow (wednesday) at 2pm UK time. You can listen online at www.wsum.org the show is called one, two, twee. This week is going to be a Australian special. Will be doing a brighton special soon :)

Are you playing Blush by The Hummingbirds? Haven't played that song for a long time, but it's a cracker. I like Bizarre Love Triangle by Even As We Speak, but my wife does not. Scar by Cloud Control. Wavy Gravy by Flyying Colours. Sorry Ross - I'm unhelpfully throwing song titles around and you've probably already got your track listing sorted.

rosscrudos

Mar 17, 2008
bad news, the radio show is cancelled as the DJ who does the slot before us didn't turn up and he has the only keys!!! Ha ha it should be on next week instead!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Did The Triffids beat the entire output of Sarah records in one go?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here